Ultra highend optics: Schmidt Bender vs. others and some perspective

OnTarget

I wanted to make a couple of comments as there are many people I'm guessing like myself who post little, but read a lot of the posts of others. So the comments that are made by a few can have an impact on many who never post. On any given area of interest or hobby there are those who are in the know and then the rest who know a lot less and I'll put myself in the latter when it comes to hunting and scopes. I hunt, but not to the degree and certainly not professionally as some of you.

What I find troubling is the focus on the need to spend extraordinary amounts on equipment of diminishing returns. I'm going to speak to you Pete Lincoln, I've been to your website and your a gifted gunsmith and an accomplished hunter and you must be fairly intelligent to work with satellites. You have the ear of S&B as they have adopted some of your suggestions and if I remember corrrectly you have even suggested new reticle designs to them as well. There is no disputing that S&B are fine makers of scopes and its got to fill you with some pride that they consult with and adopt some of your ideas. On the other hand some of your posts sound a like an advertisement for S&B. When I hear you say things like, 'just ask the US Marine Corps' if there not better. I'm not doubting they are better, I have no idea the extreme conditions and testing that they were tested under, and I'm sure given the application S&B justifiably won the contract and I have no problem with the cost difference given the application and environment they will be subjected to. However, lets have a little perspective here Pete when was the last time you jumped out of a C130 at 20,000 feet with an oxygen tank in the dead of night behind enemy lines with a top notch Marine Corp squad? The Marines' application is life and death under ultra harsh conditions on top of that the Marines etc. want these scopes to function for many many years, look at how long the Unertl scopes have been used by the military. However the majority of the rest of us will never need to have this level of perfection and ruggedness for an infrequent hunt. If a person is a professional guide, if someone is hunting ultra dangerous game in Africa, or if you live in a state like Montana and hunt every weekend that the season is open then maybe S&B cost difference is justified. Pete when I hear you say you've had all these other brands such as Leupold fail on you in the field for example vs. S&B which hasn't I'm curious what your doing that you have had so many other non S&B scopes fail? Do you run through the woods deliberately banging these scopes into trees etc. until they fail? Do you take the scope off the rifle and use it as a hammer occasionally? I heard that was done with a US Optics scope and it didn't affect its operation. If Leupold and some of the other manufacturers were as bad as you sometimes portray them, they would be out of business. Yet year after year people take game with these lesser priced scopes, I mean when you take the shot in a Leupold, Weaver, Nikon or Pentax and it results in a good kill dead is dead, is it not? The commmon sense side of me looks at it this way, is it better to make 20% on a $2,000 scope (which is mid range for S&B as some of their scope are over $3k) or 20% on a $500 scope this isnt rocket science or in your case retasking a satellite, now is it? Frankly I dont know the margin on scopes maybe its 30-40%.

I want to make one thing clear I have no problem if someone buys S&B and Pete if your the only dealer on the planet that sells them; I just think it needs to be pointed out that those who dont buy S&B aren't lepers and will have an extreme high probability of taking as much game and doing so reliably etc. as the next guy who has a S&B.

Re: Ultra highend optics: Schmidt Bender vs. others and some perspecti

Sir, I do not have "a dog in this fight" but when was the last time you regretting having the best? If you are anti-S&B then get US Optics. I have son who lives for hunting out west. His ATV frequently kills the vertical scope adjustments on Loupies to the point that he thinks they are gargage. I do not sell anything but use the best because they always work. Overbore

Re: Ultra highend optics: Schmidt Bender vs. others and some perspecti

First off I admire fine optics of all sorts and I have no ties to any manufacture or dealer....

Here again "the best" is a very subjective term. I have never regreted buying quality equipment. I have about 7500 bucks tied up in optics alone and only have 2 rifle scopes, 1 range finder, 1 spotting scope and 2 bino's (1 is a cheap $500 pair).

Example: Which is better? The Swarovski LRF or the new Leupold with incline adjustments?

An antelope hunter who hunts virtually flat country needs not a LRF that calculates angles. He needs one that will range ALOOONG way out there.

A sheep hunter who maybe shooting a ram at 750 yards up a 30 degree slope who doesnt know how to calculate angles need an LRF to do the math.

Which is better? Again, that a very subjective term.

Is USO, NF, S&B, Lupy any better than the other? It depends on the needs of the user.

I will agree that Pete often makes others feel substandard when they dont choose S&B. No offense Pete I have bad attitudes too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

On Target, your thoughts are very legitimate but....

As others say, when did you regret going with the best you could afford?? This does not mean that a non-top-of the line scope is not going to work, but chances of a better one breaking down at the most inconvenient situation are diminished.

Same thing with rifles.....why do so many go with custom rifles? The bullet leaving the muzle is the same one and if it hits the target, the effect is going to be the same. However, when you leave non-ideal situations (i.e shooting at long ranges), the better equipment is goint to guarantee a better result than the average one.

Why do so many go with expensive piccatiny rings or rails? Haven´t other much simpler, lighter and cheaper mounts worked in the past?... yes.. but when you face the trophy of a lifetime ( since as you said and i agree, not everyone is betting his life in a mission) and one hour ago your rifle fell from your shoulder while you were climbing a mountain, you´ll wish you had the strongest and most reliable scope-mounting combination you could afford. I won´t try my scope against a tree trunk but if I´ve traveled xxxx miles, , paid for a 1 week hunt, bought equipment, paid licenses, tags, food, transportation, .... and my scope breaks when hitting a tree or a rock.... I´ve thrown away much more cash than if I had invested in a stronger and more reliable scope.

That said, it is clear that many scope makers offer very good products and I would not say that a specific brand is better than the other one that plainly sucks. But you can see that different scope makers offer different options and maybe one has to choose whatever best fills his needs or wishes.

I like a scope with a metric FFP reticle and metric height and windage adjustment.... and although some as Leupold are starting to offer this in some scopes, it is the european makers who mostly use these features in their products. Swarovsky does not offer - as far as I know- mil-dot based reticles; Zeiss does but their scopes with non-covered turrets such as the 6-24 x 56 and the Conquest line have 2nd FP reticle. This just leaves the SB option in the top brands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Apart from that, subjective experience has also a strong influence here. I have used and use a Swarovsky scope for years under many different conditions and it has not failed.. but in the past someone in this forum was bitching against the Swarovs. as being weak and breaking down even when mounted on top of moderated recoil rifles. It has not been my case but it does not mean it cannot happen.

Also bear in mind that US made or distributed scopes are going to be much more expensive in Europe and this puts them in a similar price as top european made scopes.

Let's face it, we have people here at different stages of their shooting lives, in varying financial situations, at different interest levels. Some us of old codgers can afford or justify high-end scopes and we like to discuss their use. Pete might not be an old codger, but he has a very strong appreciation for S&B and his background is such that he understands how important top-level equipment is (for survival in military use...). He is an opinionated person, so are many others here and we are all entitled to those thoughts. I happen to have a lesser opinion of S&B, but since Pete explained to me that my eyes are wonky, I understand why I will never appreciate S&B like he does.

I have some spendy glass but I also have Leupold, Bushell and Nikons that are reliable and offer nice optics. Have some old scopes that are pretty sad optically compared to the current stuff, but they still let me hit what I am aiming at. Anybody remember the all-steel Weaver K4 and K6's, or the long tube Redfield 12x with the left-side turret, decades before its time since side parallax turrets are common nowadays.

Hopefully nobody thinks the guys mentioning their high-dollar scopes are looking down on guys who cannot afford them. I remember when a scope was a scope, whether it was a forty dollar Banner or a fancy Scopechief - never knew a thing about turret reliability or accuracy - once I zeroed my rifle three inches hight at one hundred yards that scope was NOT touched.

Every so often I take out one of the oldies and shoot it, just to bring me back to those days when twenty five hundred dollars bought a new car, not a rifle scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

this is my own reasons
are s&b swro nightforce worth the extra cash NO
will i get a top notch scope next time YES
i shot on the lamp & need to ID at long range
i use a nightforce 8x32x56 NXS at present and can ID a fox at 500y (not had a chance to try one further yet.)
all i need now is the skill to attempt to shoot one.
but that is y i feel i need good glass.
but you can only afford what you can afford.
i don't think Pete is calling anyone for not having the top end scopes,
i think he is very passionate about s&b.
and they are good scopes.
i paid £1100 for the nightforce and the glass is not as good as the swro s&b but i like a lot of the features,but hate other ones.

In some cases money is no object...so why not. It would be just a matter of choice, they are all just for the taking. In my case money is an object and I'll have to admit that more often than not I find myself thinking "I wish I'd just bit the bullet and bought the better one." But very seldom wish after buying something of high quality and later saying "sure wish I'd bought that cheaper one."
As for my current financial standing...I can't buy S&B for my guns with children eventually going to college, etc, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Have some old scopes that are pretty sad optically compared to the current stuff, but they still let me hit what I am aiming at. Anybody remember the all-steel Weaver K4 and K6's, or the long tube Redfield 12x with the left-side turret, decades before its time since side parallax turrets are common nowadays.

Hopefully nobody thinks the guys mentioning their high-dollar scopes are looking down on guys who cannot afford them. I remember when a scope was a scope, whether it was a forty dollar Banner or a fancy Scopechief - never knew a thing about turret reliability or accuracy - once I zeroed my rifle three inches hight at one hundred yards that scope was NOT touched.

Every so often I take out one of the oldies and shoot it, just to bring me back to those days when twenty five hundred dollars bought a new car, not a rifle scope

[/ QUOTE ]

All of that is just exactly true.
$2,500 bought very, very fine car. $400.00 bought a very, very fine scope. Three inches high at 100 killed everything.

If Pete likes S&B that is fine with me. I buy what I like and I shoot what I like and sometimes I hit something and sometimes I don't.

Leupold meet all my shooting needs. Never peered on any of the European made scope so perhaps I'm missing something. Funny, I was in our club range yesterday shooting my Gruning 308 with a 16X Leupold Mark 4, when a fellow member showed-up and joined me. We have the range to ourselves because no one braves the monsoon like condition of a weather we are currently experiencing here in Southern CA. Anyway he pulled out his H.S. Precision 308 with a very expensive US optics mounted on it. We were shooting at 500 meter mark. Our target, a few rocks, the size of a fist, a metal square 4"X4" and a golf ball. How did my Leupold fared with his US Optics? Well it turned out to be a shut out.The score, Leupold 5 US optics 0. For grand finale, I dusted off the golf ball. Do you think it would have made a difference in the score if he was using S&B instead of US Optics? maybe but I doubt it.

Desertfox,
I'm with you on Leupold, maybe your results would have been closer had your fellow member been using a Leupold!!!!
Just bought a new 6.5-20x50 LRT to go on my new Cooper 22 Varmint, Hubba Hubba!

Ian.

PS, you are not missing anything with European scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts