Trying to find a guided hunt

YZ-80

Guys,

I'm clueless as to how to go about this. I want to plan, in the next couple years, some kind of combination hunt for me and my son, who is currently 17. I'm thinking something like cow elk/Mule deer. Open to other species/game but want one animal for good meat and one animal for a trophy.

I'd want to do some kind of a short to medium range deal (glassing, shooting prone, bi-pod, etc.). Maybe 300-500 yards max. Could even be mixed with stalk hunt or woods hunting. We would probably be equipped with a 6.5 creed and a .25-06. But if I found the right hunt, I would not rule out getting a PRC or something with a bit more horsepower and developing a load for it in the interim. I would like to stay in the continental US and would budget maybe 10k. Could drive or fly, I guess, depending on how much time we have. Not sure if that is reasonable or not?

So I guess it would be a situation where I'd get over the counter tags?. I don't know. I know there is a lot of guides out there and I will be going to the Eastern Sportsman's show in February 2024 and can probably talk to many guides there. I'm sure some of you have done this so anything you know of that might fit the bill, please comment. This is in the concept phase and could take a couple years but I want to do it.

Thanks!

What about a couple speedgoats? A private land pronghorn hunt in NM for two would be about $10k. Hunting antelope is fun. Especially on private land where you can take your time and pick and choose your animal. Plus antelope are delicious.

Other options might include a couple free range axis deer in Texas. Also right in that $10k price range. And axis also delicious.

What about a couple speedgoats? A private land pronghorn hunt in NM for two would be about $10k. Hunting antelope is fun. Especially on private land where you can take your time and pick and choose your animal. Plus antelope are delicious.

Other options might include a couple free range axis deer in Texas. Also right in that $10k price range. And axis also delicious.
I like the look of the Axis deer. Same size as mature whitetail? Is there an outfitter you would recommend?

Thanks. What outfitter?
can't remember the outfitter name but owner was dusty Crary near choteau. I think the middle part of the state would be a better opportunity for both. I got a nice mule deer and almost got opportunity for a cow elk. They were in very different areas. It was beautiful place to hunt both sides of the divide. Hit me up if you want my notes on all the different outfitters I talked with

Thanks

Buck

Hit the outdoor show in Harrisburg, lots of outfitters to talk with in person.
This! ^^^^^^^
The Harrisburg show is best one on NE coast for outfitters. Also add extra time to hit Lancaster Archery short drive from Harrisburg. Be prepared for show; identify what you want to hunt, when for tag applications, how you want to hunt, be open minded to outfitter suggestions, research outfitters prior from Harrisburg show listing, research outfitters from State license departments to validate and for complaints (not all complaints legit), type of hunt relative to effort expended, vehicles, horses, walking, altitude, gear etc. . If horses, get some saddle time to build confidence and familiarity. A good outfitter will have a suggested gear list to consider as well.

Hunt prepping is one of the most fun you will ever have without stepping into wilderness.!

This! ^^^^^^^
The Harrisburg show is best one on NE coast for outfitters. Also add extra time to hit Lancaster Archery short drive from Harrisburg. Be prepared for show; identify what you want to hunt, when for tag applications, how you want to hunt, be open minded to outfitter suggestions, research outfitters prior from Harrisburg show listing, research outfitters from State license departments to validate and for complaints (not all complaints legit), type of hunt relative to effort expended, vehicles, horses, walking, altitude, gear etc. . If horses, get some saddle time to build confidence and familiarity. A good outfitter will have a suggested gear list to consider as well.

Hunt prepping is one of the most fun you will ever have without stepping into wilderness.!
Oh, yeah. I go every year. Thanks!

I like the look of the Axis deer. Same size as mature whitetail? Is there an outfitter you would recommend?
I'd say a mature axis buck is about like a mature midwestern whitetail. They're bigger than a hill country whitetail buck. Maybe a touch smaller than a Muley buck. I'll shoot you a PM with a couple places I've been to.