Trying to decide Savage vs Browning

Wanted to order a 280AI custom, but it's out of my budget.
Looked at Christian Arms but I don't like the stock on the Ridgeline which is on the high end of the budget at $2,000.
Looking at a Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Max Long-range for $1300 and a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter for around $900.
Either would allow me more $ to put into the scope.
Plan to shoot handloads mainly for deer and predators/hogs at ranges out to 750 or so. I am stuck on the 280AI just because.
Any suggestions are appreciated as to the browning or the savage, or something else in my budget and this caliber.
thanks
Looked at Christian Arms but I don't like the stock on the Ridgeline which is on the high end of the budget at $2,000.
Looking at a Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Max Long-range for $1300 and a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter for around $900.
Plan to shoot handloads mainly for deer and predators/hogs at ranges out to 750 or so. I am stuck on the 280AI just because.
Any suggestions are appreciated as to the browning or the savage, or something else in my budget and this caliber.
thanks
I have both a Browning and Savage both are older models, Savage was a circa early 1990s Browning BAR is early 2000s. Triggers, Savage was replaced with Timney, the Browning wasn't really adjustable nor an aftermarket available. The Savage breaks at 2.5 lbs, Browning at 4.5 lbs. neither stock adjustable put a Limbsaver recoiled pad of Savage gave me about a 3/8" to 1/2" on the LOP, Browning is probably about 3/8" long per my comfort level, but it still works, use a cheek riser on both. Savage was pillar and then full bedded, browning really wasn't an option. To me they are both good rifles, have muzzle brakes on both now, Savage has been rebarreled to 338 win mag, in hind sight probably should have done this to the Browning, both were 300 win mags bought the gas block for the conversion. Browning looks a lot nicer as far as the overall finish of the rifles. Savage is more accurate when shooting side by side when both were 300 win Mags but never dialed in the BAR with Handloads yet. I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. On the twist rate issue, I have looked at a Christiansen and a Bergara in 300 win Mag the twist rate is 1:10 on both, I agree with you would like a faster twist rate for the higher BC bullets available now. Have fun it is always fun to get a new toy.

Not sure what twist Savage has but I know Browning has an 8 twist which will handle the heavier bullets. Never owned Savage but plenty of Brownings. Triggers definitely are rocks, but can be fiddled (springs) with by GS or someone who knows. I hand load and have always found a load that will shoot .5"-.75" on all of them. Savage has come a long way in last decade. Either way, great choice in .280AI.

Browning gets my vote. Being a guide I have the opportunity to shoot probably north of 10 different Browning rifles/calibers for clients that waited to get to the ranch before they sighted there rifles in. All of them shot 1" or less at 100 yards. I own 2 Browning's myself and both shoot less then 1/2" at 100 yards with handloads.

I thought we were going to have a FIRST TIME EVER THREAD! Well done folks, just about everyone stayed on track....just about...lol. My vote goes to Browning and it sounds like I got the only GREAT TRIGGER...pull is 2.5 lbs on my Xbolt hunter, zero creep, beautiful accuracy and just me but I think Browning will hold its value far better if you are someone that resells.

Yep, sorry for the Tikka Tangent. Maybe I need a 12 step program to stay on track!

Between the 2, Browning for sure. Not that you'll likely be displeased with a Savage, but the Browning's I own and have owned all shot tiny groups and worked flawlessly right out of the box. If you're feeling like the trigger is letting you down, get a trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith and keep cutting tiny groups.

Used Savage rifles can be picked up pretty cheap. My advice would be to pick up a used rifle with the action needed for the caliber you want and rebarrel it. There are many makers of chambered pre fit barrels, this way you can get any length or twist you want.

I built two LH Savages last year, a 22-250 and a 260, one off a mdl 11 308 and the other was off a mdl 10 action I bought. Both got 24" Shilen Select SS Match barrels, and both are great shooters. Barrel swaps on Savages are really simple.

thanks
Of the different rifles I own, the Savage which has barrel nut, is my favorite. If you decide to change barrels for whatever reason, even just to change calibers, it is easy.

Yep, sorry for the Tikka Tangent. Maybe I need a 12 step program to stay on track!

Between the 2, Browning for sure. Not that you'll likely be displeased with a Savage, but the Browning's I own and have owned all shot tiny groups and worked flawlessly right out of the box. If you're feeling like the trigger is letting you down, get a trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith and keep cutting tiny groups.
Lol....well done!

The Browning would be my choice, I have a two X-bolts and they are solid rifles with good build quality and fit/ finish. I'm not a fan of ultra light triggers either so the trigger weight has not been a problem for me. Savages are good rifles as well and I've owned several that shot well. But as silly as it may sound, I truly despise the look and feel of bladed triggers coupled with the looks of the barrel nut system. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Savages though.

I just bought a 280 AI Speed. The trigger is as light as I can get it and it's still not breaking as easily as my early 90's Rem. 700 BDL. I like how the rifle feels and really like the safety and bolt release.

Just finished the Browning recommended barrel barrel break in procedure.
Accuracy loads are up next.

I come across the "you can't rebarrel a Browning" statement from time to time, but it's not accurate information. I hear it might have been at one time due to an exopy type thread locker on the action threads. Plenty of gunsmiths will do it. Just peruse Gun Broker for awhile, and you'll see plenty of rebarreled A Bolt 1,2, and X bolts, which disproves the assertion that you can't rebarrel a Browning.

If you like what the X bolt has to offer, I'd buy one, even if you want to mess with it at some point. Nothing against a Savage. I own several Savages and multiple A and X bolts. All have given good service, but, IME, the Brownings offer better feeding and extraction right out of the box and over time.

I'd also give a look at Tikka. They are more robustly built than either option listed, and that's not just an opinion or conformational bias because I own one; it is substantiated through empirical data. The Canadian Rangers tested most extant bolt action rifle designs to determine which offered the lowest failure rates. They also tracked accuracy. Worst conditions imaginable - sand, snow thousands and thousands of rounds. Tikka's proved to be the better mouse trap.
I didn't say you couldn't rebarreling them. Anything can be rebarreled. There are just a lot more options for Savage.

Thanks everyone for the responses. They are meaningful and informative.
I guess I did leave it open with "anything else" at the end, but tikka, which I'm fond of, does not offer this caliber.
From what I'm seeing, neither trigger is Perfect in browning or savage which I anticipate an up grade with savage because I really don't like the safety blades in the middle.
Both seem accurate.
My reloaded buddy has suggested going with a cheaper savage and re-barreling, restocking, etc.
Im no gun smith at all, just want one to take it out of a box, find a load and hunt with it.
Savage has 9.5 twist, not sure what rate the Browning has.
I believe the stock may be better on the Browning as a well.
Right now, I'm leaning towards the Browning HC.
thanks again for the good advice.

Just curious,
I've Read that 280 rem can be fired from a 280 ai chamber safely.
Has anyone else heard this?

I would choose the savage. One of the most frustrating rifles I've ever had was a browning 26 nosler i could never get it to group anything. I have a lot of really good rifles and i grab my brand new 243 savage when someone wants to come over and shoot, it makes everyone look good. Very accurate 🇺🇸