Trigger AR polish or any improvement

ohiohunter

I slapped together a 300blk with a PSA complete lower. The trigger is long and heavy, anyone have any good DIY polishing methods I could implement? I really have no desire to drop a $200 trigger in this budget build, any suggestions on polishing seers or whatnot? Any good inexpensive kits? Thanks.

I used diamond stones to polish the surfaces. I do not change angles or remove material just polish out the gritty feel. For a bench gun that will not see hunting or tactical or stressful use I've seen guys take out the pistol grip screw replace it with a 3/4" inch one and run a set screw into the hole before replacing the pistol grip pushing on the bottom of the trigger taking out the creap. I'm sure there are YouTube videos showing this. I would only consider this for a bench gun because it removes a great deal of the safety of the original trigger design. I prefer the Giessle high speed nation match trigger but I hear you on the price. As close to Black Friday as we are I would wait and pick up a great trigger at a greatly discounted price.

Go to a VERY high grit I used above 10000 for mine. along with the spring kit
From JP enterprises for a low budget easy to do trigger job. I own multiple AR platforms and this is the only one not sporting a Timney. Pulls at 3.5 lbs. Not as crisp as a Timney or other high dollar trigger kit but for the money a good alternative.

I have also done what str8... describes with some improvement, but a crummy trigger will generally remain a crummy trigger. I would bite the bullet and get a decent trigger. It's the most important component of the lower. The Rock River Arms Match trigger is a good trigger and not too pricey.

If you like a single stage trigger, the Hyperfire trigger is probably one of the nicest triggers I've used in an AR. It has a unique, independent hammer spring. For trigger weight, it comes with three springs, lowest 2.5#. Crisp, consistent, and totally reliable.

I prefer a single stage. I've enjoyed the CMC single stage with a flat shoe.

The best mil spec fire control group I've encountered is in the Aero Precision Lower parts kit. This FCG combined with some reduced power springs and a Job Bob trigger adjustment screw make for a very crisp trigger.

Here's a link to the trigger adjuster screw: JoeBob's Trigger Adjuster

I prefer a single stage. I've enjoyed the CMC single stage with a flat shoe.

The best mil spec fire control group I've encountered is in the Aero Precision Lower parts kit. This FCG combined with some reduced power springs and a Job Bob trigger adjustment screw make for a very crisp trigger.

Here's a link to the trigger adjuster screw: JoeBob's Trigger Adjuster

I've done the combo of the reduced power springs + Joe Bob screw a couple times. For under $30, it's a good improvement.

I did have light primer strikes on 1 kind of ammo. However I "bob'ed" the hammer and that went away. Zero light primer strikes since then.

Forgot to mention, the triggers are right at 3.5lbs pull weight now with very little pre-travel. But as we all know, the pull weight is only part of the story that makes a nice trigger.

Don't be silly. Spend $69 for an ALG ACT trigger and call it good. Cheap as heck and works well.

My son took a fine stone to his crummy AR trigger and made it very crisp and likable but after a short time it turned to crap again. The trigger parts are case hardened and he got into the soft metal and it was a mess. I think a Geissele single stage is the best trigger I have tried but I am not that experienced with AR triggers.

I picked up a Ruger AR 556 when they first came out and the trigger pull was about 8 lbs. so I saved up some $ and bought a Timney trigger. It was simple to install, took about 15 minutes and the difference is great. Its a 3.5 lb. trigger and it feels like a 2 lb. trigger. Accuracy for POI was cut in half.
Now, I'm looking at one for my AR 10 6.5 CM..

This is a Colt trigger group polished and installed in a Ruger 5.56 with JP reduced power springs. It brought the pull down to 4.5 lbs. and very smooth. Still no substitute for a drop in like a CMC or similar.
attachment.php

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.