travel bag suggestions

ofl0926

hey whats up everyone.
So I will be traveling for my first elk hunt this year. I am packing all my gear except optics in my kifaru pack. so I was thinking of a way to travel with my optics, change of clothes, toiletries, iPad and electronics through the airports. thought about a backpack but Im already checking in my kifaru pack. then I was thinking a rolling bag but there are so **** many. any suggestions or options? rifles are being transported in a pelican case.
would love to here how you guys manage. thanks guys. Hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July!

I use my Kifaru as my carry on. I put all my expensive optics in it, rangefinder, trekking poles, and whatever else that'll fit that I'm afraid of getting broke. I put the rest of my stuff in my check bag.

Agree. You are going at this the wrong way round. Checking a Back Pack, unless you have it plastic wrapped, is pretty much guaranteed to cause damage from the shoulder or other straps getting caught on stuff and ripping out. It also limits the volume of stuff you can take for no real good reason. You are paying for one checked bag, take the biggest one you can without penalty. Get yourself a good sized roller type Hockey bag as a check on and use the pack as your carry on. Just make sure you check the weight and size limits for the airline you are flying with on their website. The penalties for being over size or weight can be very large.

I use one like this for hunting travel

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/p/82302253?sp=1&size=ONESZE

Agree. You are going at this the wrong way round. Checking a Back Pack, unless you have it plastic wrapped, is pretty much guaranteed to cause damage from the shoulder or other straps getting caught on stuff and ripping out. It also limits the volume of stuff you can take for no real good reason. You are paying for one checked bag, take the biggest one you can without penalty. Get yourself a good sized roller type Hockey bag as a check on and use the pack as your carry on. Just make sure you check the weight and size limits for the airline you are flying with on their website. The penalties for being over size or weight can be very large.

I use one like this for hunting travel

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/p/82302253?sp=1&size=ONESZE

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate a little more in my pack situation. I plan on putting my Kifaru pack in A duffel with all my stuff and checking that in. As much as I would like to use my frame and bag as a carry on, I don't like the fact that it is camo. Being military, I tend to use neutral colors while traveling. Trying not to get any extra attention.

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate a little more in my pack situation. I plan on putting my Kifaru pack in A duffel with all my stuff and checking that in. As much as I would like to use my frame and bag as a carry on, I don't like the fact that it is camo. Being military, I tend to use neutral colors while traveling. Trying not to get any extra attention.

Okay, that makes more sense. In that case I would get the small version of the roll on duffel like I sent you and use that for the carry on. They come in a bunch of neutral colors.

This is just an example, there are a bunch of well made ones by other companies in various colors. Eagle Creek and Patagonia aren't cheap but they make very good stuff.

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/p/82302254/expedition-drop-bottom-rolling-duffel-medium?sp=2&size=ONESZE

Okay, that makes more sense. In that case I would get the small version of the roll on duffel like I sent you and use that for the carry on. They come in a bunch of neutral colors.

This is just an example, there are a bunch of well made ones by other companies in various colors. Eagle Creek and Patagonia aren't cheap but they make very good stuff.

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/p/82302254/expedition-drop-bottom-rolling-duffel-medium?sp=2&size=ONESZE

that is a nice bag.
I was also looking at the mystery ranch mission rover or mission wheelie

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.