Top 5 or more favorite Cowboy movies

Tons of good mentions. My all time favorite is Quigley Down under. I would actually say that movie inspired me to get into long range shooting. The fact he was from Wyoming helped me to like it even more.

Other than that, True Grit (Wayne), Sons of Katie elder, el Dorado, open range, The Shootist, etc.

Hombre with Paul Newman as the half-breed Apache and Richard Boone as the bad guy.

I got to meet Sam Elliott, Ken Curtis, Susan Anspach, and Cybill Shepard when they were filming the Yellow Rose, took them fishing.
They were all mighty fine people.

Last edited:
Hombre with Paul Newman as the half-breed Apache and Richard Boone as the bad guy.

I got to meet Sam Elliott, Ken Curtis, Susan Anspach, and Cybill Shepard when they were filming the Yellow Rose, took them fishing.
They were all mighty fine people.
I didn't realize how many Westerns that Ken Curtis played in. He was one of my favorites. He was a pretty good singer also. Here's a good singing performance by Ken Curtis.

Last post two years ago, but inclusion of movies like Space Cowboy (no cows or horses or western theme) should give me some latitude to include my all-time favorite movie - Trading Places.

Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche, Denholm Elliott, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

The movie is about stock future manipulation.

The bad guys, the Duke Brothers (Bellamy & Ameche), conceal a commodity forecast report that predicts a normal expected orange harvest and buy up orange juice futures creating inflated prices, expecting to reap a $ big harvest, selling at big $ later.

The good guys, Valentine (Murphy) & Winthorpe (Aykroyd) buy up the inflated shares from investors, planning short sell shares later. The orange harvest is normal and (supply & demand) prices are low, and shares are paid back at much lower prices, enabling big profits for Valentine & Winthorpe.

The bad guys, Duke Brothers lose- they are obligated to comply with their future orders.

Real events.

A relative by marriage establishes a corporation that during its 5-year long history never sells a product. The company's stock undergoes moderate value up-downs, each time promising investors of big gain upon final product approval by a certain Federal Agency. Finally, the company's newsletter announces the final product approval by the Federal Agency is about to happen, which causes stock prices to make a 10% jump. Soon after, when the Federal Agency finds the product of no value (unable to market) the company's stock values crash by 88%, the biggest % crash in NASDAC history. Lots of $ made by selling short over past 5 years followed by a big, short sale killing at the end.

The movie shows folks from all walks of life have the potential to be good people, including servants, street hustlers, well born, & hookers. I am happy to say that I got my mom to sell all her shares upon reading the newsletter.

I like to watch the movie (DVD) on hot summer days & drink beers.

Last edited:
Lonesome Dove
Tombstone
Searchers
Outlaw Josey Wales
Shane
Lawman
Jerimiah Johnson
Sacketts
True Grit
She Wore Yellow Ribbon
Quigley Down Under
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
This List go go on and on and on!!

The original Magnificent 7 has always been my favorite. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and Quigley Down Under are both great too.

Recent Posts