Titanium actions

Westernhuntr

I recently spoke with a big name rifle builder about chambering a barrel for my titanium action, and he went off on how inferior they are.

He said "Titanium has no place on a rifle especially actions, and they are potentially dangerous"
He will not work on them period.

I'm super curious if anyone else shares this opinion, and what evidence is out there to support this?
The guy was super rude and pushy with his views so I'm thinking he's full of it..

A lot of companies don't make them for several reasons...mainly because it's hard on tooling and stainless/CM are stiffer which is more accurate.

Borden wouldn't make them for many years, then he did for a while and stopped. I'm not sure why though?

I have had a Lone Peak. I don't think i will own one again. Had issue's with my action. Firing pin wasn't bushed so it filed to a point and started piercing primers. BAT or Defiance for me.

some think attaching steel barrels to Titanium actions heat and cool at different rates but thats the only POTENTIAL problem I've heard?

I recall threads and posts, more earlier than recently, about barrels coming loose from Ti actions. What I was more concerned with is the more elastic nature of Ti for a given pressure compared to 400s SS and 4000s CM. I start thinking case expansion sticky extraction issues. No proof just the first concern I had off the top of my head.

Personally I could not get past the depressive effect when you see this nice super light weight number for the action and then below it is the huge weight jump with the bolt added in. Now if they could make a bolt with a changeable head like Savage but the rest of the bolt body/handle Ti that might be something.

Outside a special use case I think I can save more in the stock and barrel going to CF even type of scope can get you a good savings. Not to mention when rifles get too light they seem hard to get really settled in when shooting LR. IMO you can go too light from a shooting perf standpoint.

If a person has the $$ and wants it why not. Plenty of positive reviews by owners on the recent ones.

I recently spoke with a big name rifle builder about chambering a barrel for my titanium action, and he went off on how inferior they are.

He said "Titanium has no place on a rifle especially actions, and they are potentially dangerous"
He will not work on them period.

I'm super curious if anyone else shares this opinion, and what evidence is out there to support this?
The guy was super rude and pushy with his views so I'm thinking he's full of it..
I think he is correct, Titanium is not a good choice for a rifle action. If I was in the rifle building business, I wouldn't use one either.

But if I could find one that I liked for a reasonable price, I would buy it anyway.