Tips on sausage makin’

Canhunter35

I've made a lot of sausage, love game sausage especially elk, moose and mule deer doe sausage is pretty good too. I always put at least 50% pork in with other meat, even beef, 60/40 trim is fine. Always go through the trim though and clean it up, remove any glands etc.
my recipe is simple, for 60lbs of meat 1cup pepper, 1 cup salt, 2tbsp of sodium nitrite. It's the type of recipe u never get tired of, doesn't have unnecessary perfumes lol. I smoke it for about an hour, I like to use fruit woods, keeps it mild. Also made some honey garlic snack sticks today using jb's honey garlic pepperette mix.
4700B0F6-2789-445A-A178-82ECF3D5D76C.jpeg
AFB31D0E-ECE2-4FA3-A430-B3799375082B.jpeg

Last edited:
Edited it to add that lol. 60lbs for a batch. If u like pepper I wouldn't be afraid of going up to 1.5cup. If you like it mild, 5/8cup of pepper is good. This has some pepper flavour but not too strong that anyone would be turned off
Good deal. I like the simplicity of this recipe. Do you dry it also after smoking or just keep it as is?

Good deal. I like the simplicity of this recipe. Do you dry it also after smoking or just keep it as is?
I cool the sausage, cause it's dinner sausage it still needs cooking, so I cool it, then Saran and brown paper wrap then freeze it. Good for frying and bbq. When I make summer sausage and snack sticks I smoke until in internal temp reaches 165f. Then I throw summer sausage in ice water to cool it and stop cooling, snack sticks I just open the smoker door and let the cold air do it's work. I keep the smoker temp from 180-200f for all of it

I like to use the Tabasco barrel chips and apple chips and everyone here says it's the cats meow!We like it.
I only smoke 10-20 lbs at a time as my smoker is small compared to yours.
Also I us 60-40 mix also and 3 kinds of pepper,black,white and cayenne for andouille,but a lot less for breakfast sausages.
Yeah my smoker is a walk in I built. Holds 300lbs of dinner sausage with ease. Last year we smoke 350lbs of summer sausage in it with my brother in law lol. I made breakfast sausage yesterday, I use jbs breakfast sausage mix. I find it terribly addicting lol

Have not heard of JB's.I'll have to go to his web site and take a look.
Yes cooling sausage keeps it from keeping on cooking and getting dry and over cooked.
Have done that and used the dry sausage for cooking,gumbo's red beans and rice and such.
Canhunter35 what temp do you cook your sausage to?

Awesome. Now I'm hungry. About to make a big batch of hamburger. Then on to sausage. A lot of people get complicated in their recipes but sausage seasoning/mix is a highly personal choice. Every family has their preferences, sage seems to be one of the biggest variables.
Where you located? I am always interested in how location and history affect sausage preferences.

Have not heard of JB's.I'll have to go to his web site and take a look.
Yes cooling sausage keeps it from keeping on cooking and getting dry and over cooked.
Have done that and used the dry sausage for cooking,gumbo's red beans and rice and such.
Canhunter35 what temp do you cook your sausage to?
This is the website.
On the dinner sausage I never put a probe in, it's still raw in the middle, I'm just putting smoke on it, so I'll heat the smoker up then put my sausage in, temp drops to say 130f, let it warm up for 20min, then I put my cold smoker on to really put the smoke to it, it's heated by a pellet pro unit I bolted onto the side. I smoke for an hour then kick the door open and cool it before wrapping and freezing.
The summer sausage and snack sticks I cook to and internal temp of 165f. I use a Weber wireless temp deal that I run through the door and leave in a sausage the whole time, it hooks up to my phone and gives me the temp

What specific brand of casings do you use. The last two times I've made sausage the casings have been so tough you need to use a knife, teeth weren't cutting it without some Xtra effort.

Last edited:
Awesome. Now I'm hungry. About to make a big batch of hamburger. Then on to sausage. A lot of people get complicated in their recipes but sausage seasoning/mix is a highly personal choice. Every family has their preferences, sage seems to be one of the biggest variables.
Where you located? I am always interested in how location and history affect sausage preferences.
Sw Saskatchewan, German roots in sausage making. My grandmas recipe has brown sugar in it and 1cup of garlic water along with similar amounts of pepper and salt, they never used any type of cure, but I've found a little cure keeps the meat fresher tasting coming out of the freezer.