Tikka vs R700

$90 for an EGW HD? Where are you pricing them at? You need to find out how to become a direct dealer for them. They're about half that at these 2 places...

EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Remington

EGW HD Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount | SWFA

I didn't search for sale prices, I get them direct from EGW when I do which has been very rare and most of the time for odder stuff that I'm forced to buy from them on, even at that price their not worth what their made of, I literally see guys spending hundreds of dollars over a cheap rail on a regular basis and there is absolutely no reason to.

I didn't search for sale prices, I get them direct from EGW when I do which has been very rare and most of the time for odder stuff that I'm forced to buy from them on, even at that price their not worth what their made of, I literally see guys spending hundreds of dollars over a cheap rail on a regular basis and there is absolutely no reason to.

Maybe I just got some lucky ones, but knowing myself, and my (lack of) luck, I don't see how I hit a jackpot 9 times in a row. LOL

However, I do not doubt your experiences, as I know you do know what you're talking about. It's just hard for me to understand where you're coming from, when none of mine have caused any problems. But I do still respect your opinion and experience.

Also, if he's charging you those kind of prices direct, I'd be ordering them from Midway or SWFA if a customer wanted one. SWFA has them for $56.99 all the time. Midway normally sells them for $69.99, but they're on sale for $56 right now.

Maybe I just got some lucky ones, but knowing myself, and my (lack of) luck, I don't see how I hit a jackpot 9 times in a row. LOL

However, I do not doubt your experiences, as I know you do know what you're talking about. It's just hard for me to understand where you're coming from, when none of mine have caused any problems. But I do still respect your opinion and experience.

Also, if he's charging you those kind of prices direct, I'd be ordering them from Midway or SWFA if a customer wanted one. SWFA has them for $56.99 all the time. Midway normally sells them for $69.99, but they're on sale for $56 right now.

I don't mean this in a mean way but you don't shoot much, I get guys who shoot as much in a weekend as your shooting a year and I do mount some heavy scopes so that surely plays into it also.
At best you save 40 bucks over a rock solid rail with quality screws, there are places to save money for sure but the rail is what takes your round action and makes it a solid optics mounting surface for everything above it and it's far more critical than many give it credit, including myself as I used to have EGW on my personal guns.

I don't mean this in a mean way but you don't shoot much, I get guys who shoot as much in a weekend as your shooting a year and I do mount some heavy scopes so that surely plays into it also.
At best you save 40 bucks over a rock solid rail with quality screws, there are places to save money for sure but the rail is what takes your round action and makes it a solid optics mounting surface for everything above it and it's far more critical than many give it credit.

None taken... For a while there, I was. But the last year or so my priorities have been elsewhere. So I do completely agree with what you're saying.

Anybody hiring any gunsmith apprentices or do you think Rich might want to sub-out some work like pre-forming brass for his Sherman cases? I just got laid-off my job Thursday, that I've been at since 2004 (custom metal fab)...And now am looking for work. And it gives me an (involuntary) kick-in-the-pants to finally look into doing something I've always wanted to do...Work with guns and ammo. I miss the old gun shop I worked at in high school, but I don't want to do sales this go-round.

I would never intentionally steer anyone into a wrong decision, as I have absolutely zero vested interests in any company. I just have had zero problems with the EGW rails, which is why I recommend them. All of mine are the HD models.

Whatever rail you buy, I highly recommend the Seekins rings. They're built like a tank.

Me asking was not meant to be a slap at you mudrunner......just me looking around and getting options.

Me asking was not meant to be a slap at you mudrunner......just me looking around and getting options.

I know, I was just making sure that you knew I was not trying to sell you on a product for any sort of personal gain. I have absolutely zero ties or affiliations to anything in the weapons industry. I just try to be helpful with stuff that has worked for me.

My 7mm sendero has burris twist in bases and 30mm rings with 10 moa inserts. leup mark 4 6.5-20, it has a krieger barrel , shilen trigger, vais brake. it does Well less than 1 moa to 1k as you can imagine. which is as far as i have fired it. never had any problem with the bases or rings. the 7mm works too; a 221" mule deer ( 296 yards) ; a 180" Bighorn sheep (297yd) ; 86" antelope (590 yards) all public land. i take into some rough places. i do not drive over it with an f-350

Last edited:
roninflag shot ROCKY MOUNTAIN Bighorn sheep....to be precise. Good recipe is:

Remington 700 Long range (7 mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag)
Leupold standard matte bases
Leupold standard 30mm rings matte
Leupold 6.5-20 pick your resticle (target turrets)

$1700 or so. Shoots good. shoots long. Shoots very accurately.

Ok pending any changes of mind again.....how does this look to everyone? Grand total is roughly $1714

Remington 700 long range m-40 stock 26" barrel .300wm $665 @ buds plus shipping

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS-T 30mm Rifle Scope $639 + tax ship

EGW HD Remington 700 Long Action Picatinny Scope Mount 20 MOA
$56.95 $61.51

Vortex Viper 30mm rings.....59+tax

Timney trigger. ..2.5 lbs. $151 $163 w tax

I hope you don't have to go through this .

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/25-06-factory-barrel-question-170942/

Last edited:
Advantage I have with remington is that I work right next to their factory in ilion ny. But hopefully that won't happen

ditch the 6-20 power scope. Go for a 2.5-10 or 4-14 model and you will be much happier. For me 6-20 range magnification is for 900 yards or more. 6 is tough for me to find anything up close, say inside 50 yards. you'll save a couple dollars too.

None taken... For a while there, I was. But the last year or so my priorities have been elsewhere. So I do completely agree with what you're saying.

Anybody hiring any gunsmith apprentices or do you think Rich might want to sub-out some work like pre-forming brass for his Sherman cases? I just got laid-off my job Thursday, that I've been at since 2004 (custom metal fab)...And now am looking for work. And it gives me an (involuntary) kick-in-the-pants to finally look into doing something I've always wanted to do...Work with guns and ammo. I miss the old gun shop I worked at in high school, but I don't want to do sales this go-round.

Uggh, that happened to my wife earlier this year... Not fun at all. She has landed with another gig though; and hopefully a reborn desire to start getting some freelance work done. Sometimes it has to rain to get the grass to green up again.

I've been rebarreling half the Rem 700 Long Ranges I see come in, also have to retime the handles because there is no primary extraction. A new Remington is a HUGE crap shoot!!!

Both of the 700lr rifles (both 300rum) we have in the family are 1/2 moa rifles. Got lucky I guess. My brother is getting his spslr in 7stw re-barreled as the original pipe was a decent shooter but rough as a cobb inside. I did have a bolt problem on my rem rl300rum; the extractor rivet wasn't milled for clearance and it wasn't accepting previously fired casings. A couple of moments with a dremel fixed that but it was a problem. ymmv on the remmy,... but... I've got a heck of a tikka that was a trigger tune, slap a scope on, and go punch 1/2 to 2/3 moa groups with about anything you shove in the rifle. They have something going for them too.

Ok. Now I have another question....I've taken to heart whether or not I need the 6-24x50....or if the 4-16x44 would be better for me. The primary goal is hunting with possible future long range hunting/target shooting. It seems in low light....the 4x lowest power would be better than the 6x. Will the 16x be sufficient to shoot long range with? Or is the 6-24x50 still the better over all scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts