Tikka vs R700

Ok so...I would say .308 is out. And I'm looking at 7mm RemMag or 300 win mag as my caliber....

As for the gun itself....I just wanted to note that I'm concerned about the lite weight of the tikka for a mag round. And I also tend to hold a heavier gun better and more steady.....granted not for long periods of time. So this tends to led me back to the R700. And on a side note...I was given the ok for 2k total to spend...if this changes your opinions on the setup.

I have acquired two (2) Tikka T3 Lites this year both in 7mm Mag. I have also owned mostly Remington 700 rifles in all sorts of combinations starting in 1981. That is correct 1981. Don't ask me why I know that year.

My goal on the T3 Lite(s) was to have a very "Lite" rifle to stick in my ebberlestock gun backpack, to shoot 168 Bergers accurately and keep them over 2900 fps. (Higher BC for lower weight bullets in 7mm mag. )

Goals partially achieved. I am still working on the Tikkas. I have shot numerous combinations of 168 Bergers, 140 Bergers, Accubond Long Range and other. I have not achieved the consistent 1/2 MOA that I should be able to find. I can find a load that will put two shots touching, but then the group breaks up. I have now gone down to 120 Nosler B tips for accuracy and consistency. I can shoot these to 3240 fps and keep them in for 4 shots. The T3 lites have skinny barrels and might get hot quickly and this may degrade anything over 2 shot groups. Also, they have 9 1/2 twist barrels. This may degrade the 168 Bergers as well. Lastly, they have clips that keep the OAL short.

Still, I love these Tikka T3 lites. Very glassy action, very crisp 2 lb trigger, I actually like the clips. I love the modular format and they are very LITE. They are very Sako esque. Not quite Sakos, but not crap either. Very nice. I will keep working them. I know that I can shoot these Tika t3 Lites to 600 yards Minute of Deer (even Coues) no problem. I know I could shoot the first two shots touching.

Remington 700s- I mean, man. The best bang for your accuracy buck right now is the Remington 700 Long Range in choose your caliber. Out of the box accuracy. Everything we have shot from this platform can be worked to real accuracy. Any one of the available calibers for the Long Range has been made to shoot. Shooting at or under 600 yards should not be a problem for any of them. Up to and including the 300 RUM (hence somerumfun my user name).

If you reload, I would go with the Remington 700 Long Range. If you don't....I still would start with the Remington 700 Long Range.......then buy a Tikka T3 lite for portability.

Let us all know which way you went on this. Have fun.

Pecco- most answers here are rem 700 sendero and leup 6.5-20. you pick the caliber. at least a pound to a pound and half lighter than the long range. a little more money. guns last a long time. this weight will be between the tikka and the LR

I've been rebarreling half the Rem 700 Long Ranges I see come in, also have to retime the handles because there is no primary extraction. A new Remington is a HUGE crap shoot!!!

Emphasis on "Huge crap".

A Tikka, you pretty much buy it and shoot it the way it is because it'll work well enough to get the job done just fine and spend your time and money on other facets of hunting like scouting. The Remington... that's a tough one. You won't have any problem finding somebody to fix it and of course it will solve that problem of that spare money burning a hole in your pocket which has some cool-factor to it.

Ok so...I would say .308 is out. And I'm looking at 7mm RemMag or 300 win mag as my caliber....

As for the gun itself....I just wanted to note that I'm concerned about the lite weight of the tikka for a mag round. And I also tend to hold a heavier gun better and more steady.....granted not for long periods of time. So this tends to led me back to the R700. And on a side note...I was given the ok for 2k total to spend...if this changes your opinions on the setup.

My opinion of the rifle has not changed, regardless of your budget. For a factory built rifle, IMO, the Remington 700 Long Range cannot be beat. I've had some really expensive factory rifles, and some not-so expensive factory rifles. A factory barrel is a factory barrel, might as well not buy something overpriced when it has just as much of a chance for accuracy as any other factory rifle, regardless of price. Here is why I think the 700 Long Range is the best option for a factory rifle with potential. It comes in a B&C M-40 Medalist stock with a 26" 9.25" twist heavy barrel. The Remington 700 is also the best platform to build off of, as it has the largest aftermarket following of any bolt-action rifle available in the last 55 years. And any gunsmith worth his salt can repair/rework one.

Thank you all for your input. I clearly have choices to mske. Has thr increase in budget changed your thoughts on optics?

I wouldn't spend my money on a new Remington. Maybe a 700 action if I was building a custom rifle from scratch.....

for a ready to roll hunting gun up to elk sized game, I'd get a bone stock Tikka T3 in 300WM or 7mm, and spend the rest of my $1500 budget on good quality optics. For example, a Vortex PST, or a Nightforce SHV.

There are any number of $600 out of the box rifles that will shoot sub-moa. That's all it takes, really. I'd take a $600 rifle and a $900 scope for long range hunting over an expensive rifle with a crappy scope, any day of the week.

I wouldn't spend my money on a new Remington. Maybe a 700 action if I was building a custom rifle from scratch.....

for a ready to roll hunting gun up to elk sized game, I'd get a bone stock Tikka T3 in 300WM or 7mm, and spend the rest of my $1500 budget on good quality optics. For example, a Vortex PST, or a Nightforce SHV.

There are any number of $600 out of the box rifles that will shoot sub-moa. That's all it takes, really. I'd take a $600 rifle and a $900 scope for long range hunting over an expensive rifle with a crappy scope, any day of the week.

You do realize the Remington 700 Long Range IS a $600 rifle, right? And it has the 26" heavy barrel (more prone to accuracy due to less barrel whip, than the sporter barrels, like on the Tikka) and the OP likes a heavier rifle for steadier shots, it is available in a variety of cartridges, and the B&C M40 Medalist stock, is much better than the factory Tikka stocks. Also, has a 9.25" twist, that can handle the 168 VLD's and possibly the Berger 180 Hybrids. And he still has the same $1,500 he can drop on a good scope, rings, and base setup...

Remington 700 M40 Long Range Bolt 7mm Rem Mag 26" 4+1 Syn Stk Blk/Gray Blued $646.00 SHIPS FREE

Remington® Model 700™ Long-Range Bolt-Action Rifles : Cabela's

Thank you all for your input. I clearly have choices to mske. Has thr increase in budget changed your thoughts on optics?

For the money, it is really hard to beat the Vortex Viper HS-T scopes. I have three of the HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 (Mil) on hunting/target rifles, and a Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC on another. I also have several Zeiss, Kahles, and SWFA SS scopes on other rifles to compare them to. I have shot through NF, Swaro, S&B, and all the major German brands. And while they are impressive, the price is hard to justify through my eyes, when comparing them to a Kahles, or a Zeiss Conquest. And the Vortex Viper HS-T and Viper HS scopes are right there just slightly below the Zeiss Conquest, which is just below the Kahles, which is on-par with the other German high-end optics mentioned.

This is just my opinion, others might think they're junk. But that is what makes these forums great, you get all sorts of opinions to help you form your own.

You do realize the Remington 700 Long Range IS a $600 rifle, right? And it has the 26" heavy barrel (more prone to accuracy due to less barrel whip, than the sporter barrels, like on the Tikka) and the OP likes a heavier rifle for steadier shots, it is available in a variety of cartridges, and the B&C M40 Medalist stock, is much better than the factory Tikka stocks. Also, has a 9.25" twist, that can handle the 168 VLD's and possibly the Berger 180 Hybrids. And he still has the same $1,500 he can drop on a good scope, rings, and base setup...

I wouldn't argue with you on any of those points really, it seems like a lot of gun for the money. I'll stick with my original statement though, I'd pick a Tikka over a 700 any day of the week. Tikkas have a much nicer action that doesn't require any extra work, and the triggers are nicer too. For a bone stock hunting rifle, some of the finer points like heavy barrel profiles and stock rigidity are not as important. As long as the rifle will poke a 3 shot group in a sub-moa circle, it'll get the job done. It all boils down to what the OP is after.

Personally I'd built a 308 set up for the 215 Berger on a Tikka and feed from a box or single sled a 300 Win mag and 215, a Tikka has a stupid short mag that there is no solution for yet but the action is so far superior to a Remington it's not even funny. I have no issues smoking an elk inside the ranges your talking with a 308 set up correctly! You may consider a 300 WSM from a Tikka, get a magnum mag box and trim the bolt stop and you have a perfect fit for a WSM!!!

I've had good luck with the 2 Tikka's I own, but I don't care for the magazines in either.

Tikka however remains very proud of them $$$.

i have 3 factory tikkas currently and have had many remington 700's. i currently own zero factory remingtons. the 700's are fun to work on and they do need a lot of work from the factory. the tikkas are fun to shoot and boring to work on. they come with everything needed to shoot and enjoy. a good barrel, smooth bolt and a great trigger. add the optic and a decent shooter behind the gun and you're done.

i have 3 factory tikkas currently and have had many remington 700's. i currently own zero factory remingtons. the 700's are fun to work on and they do need a lot of work from the factory. the tikkas are fun to shoot and boring to work on. they come with everything needed to shoot and enjoy. a good barrel, smooth bolt and a great trigger. add the optic and a decent shooter behind the gun and you're done.
I'm sure this will sound funny but I don't mind working with my guns. That relaxing and fun. No...spending money over and over isn't fun.....which is why I want to get the best platform I can to build on. Replace what needs to be done and then grow with the gun. Practice and have fun. It seems to me.....from what I've read.....that the 7mm mag will do all I need it to do. I also assume that since it naturally has less of a kick than the 300wm......the R700 should tame it fairly well....?
If I can get into and learn how to reload......does either the 7mm or 300 hold a better option.....brass...powder??
Also another question.....for the money....the R700 long range vs the more money R700 sendero??? My thought from reading what everyone has said.....the long range with a really nice scope is better than the money spend in the sendero alone.

Last edited:
Alrighty then!!!! I'm going to put my two cents in.....
Like it or not, Remington is slipping in quality control, and I don't know why. It's a good company that knows how to make great guns, so they need to pull their head out...
I don't know much about the Tikkas. So.....

Why not Savage???:D:D:D

How bout a Savage 110 Magnum, maybe in 300, order a barrel vise and nut wrench.
And there is hundreds of barrels out there cheap, you can switch cartridges any time you like.

Here is a Savage 110 I picked up used for $300.00 I put a Boyds Pro Varmint on it, pillar and glass bedded, it is now a 7mm Rem mag, and I have a 300 Win Mag barrel for it.
Very accurate rifle, I shot the best three shot group I ever shot with it.

Hey MuddRunner: How long did you think it was going to take, before someone come along and started yelling Savage!!! :D:D

As for a scope, I think the SWFA 3-15 FFP is the best deal going right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.