Tikka Superlite vs X-bolt Mountain Pro

Really the only downside to 300 WM's are limited by OAL in Tikkas, so you won't be able to handload the long heavies and have them fit in the factory mags well, and they have slow twist barrels (1:11). Probably great with factory 180 gr and below, but some people post good results with 200 gr AB and ELD too. Old thread on that here: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-t3x-300-win-mag-overall-twist-rate-thoughts.186377/

I love my two Tikkas and that's what I'd suggest.
Tikka T3X in 300 WM has been 1:10" since Feb. 2021. Mine weighs 7.2lb w/o scope, has a great brake, excellent trigger and recoil is quite mild, with 174 gr. Hammers. It shoots .500 +/- groups consistently using H 4831SC @ 3200 fps. A "no brainer" really versus the Browning.

Tikka T3X in 300 WM has been 1:10" since Feb. 2021. Mine weighs 7.2lb w/o scope, has a great brake, excellent trigger and recoil is quite mild, with 174 gr. Hammers. It shoots .500 +/- groups consistently using H 4831SC @ 3200 fps. A "no brainer" really versus the Browning.
Good to hear. Edit: I stand corrected on the twist rates.

Last edited:
Good to hear. But he asked specifically about the Superlite, which as far as I see is 1:11 still.
The Tikka Superlite in 300 WM at Sportsman's is 1:10 twist. Maybe others are 1:11, I don't know.

I've owned a Browning X-Bolt Pro (now called the "Mountain Pro") for 3 years and for the 1st 3 shots it is very accurate.
After that the skinny. fluted barrel heats up and groups open up to1 1/2" and point of impact (group location) also shifts.

When looking for my "ideal mountain rifle" I also looked at the SAKO Carbonlite but felt the X-Bolt Pro gave me at least as many features for a lot less money. Tikka rifle were not in my short list at the time.

Tikka in 300WSM
Problem solved
No magazine restrictions
Tikka T-3 Lite ( NO Flutes ) in, .270 WSM,.. even BETTER !
LOWER Recoil and more Fun to shoot with, the 140 gr. Classic Hunter Berger's @ 3,200 FPS ! They are, STILL going, OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ! Plenty of Rifle / cartridge for, an Elk / Moose " Hunter" ! IF, going with, .300 WSM, you WILL NEED,.. a Brake !
I'd recommend that, the OP,.. try to shoot, a .300 Mag Tikka, off, a Bench,.. BEFORE ever, purchasing one ( unless planning on, a Brake ! )
Tikka's are, the BEST, reasonably priced, Mountain Rifles,.. IMHO,.

Last edited:
I've never owned a Tikka, but there is a large fan base. I have and still own Brownings. The last one I bought was the X-Bolt HC speed in 308. It was purpose purchase for me. Light woods gun that had the feel and look that just IMHO trumped the Tikka. I almost bought the Pro. 3 accurate shots is all I need for it's purpose.

I've never owned a Tikka, but there is a large fan base. I have and still own Brownings. The last one I bought was the X-Bolt HC speed in 308. It was purpose purchase for me. Light woods gun that had the feel and look that just IMHO trumped the Tikka. I almost bought the Pro. 3 accurate shots is all I need for it's purpose.
@ Mark,..
There''s almost, a Cult following of, Tikka owners !
A Sweet "Mountain Rifle" for those of us that, Hike and Hunt, a ways, "Back in" and have NO need of shooting from, Zip code, to Zip code !
We like, 7MM-08's, 7 MM Rem Mag's, 6.5 PRC and .270 WSM's for, Elk,.. in my Family !
Mine's the Heaviest at, 7 Pounds, 10 ounces ! Shoots easily, into Sub,. 3/4 MOA out to, 700 Yards ( my Max range, on Elk )
You'd also be surprised to know, how many Hunters like the .270 WSM, too !
But, in the end, Everyone needs to shoot, what they,.. LIKE !

Last edited:
The .30 calibers are popular, but you really can't go wrong with a .270 WSM. They will do everything you need unless your going after grizzlies. The shorter action means less weight, and the lighter bullets mean less recoil, which for most of us means better shooting. I have a 5.5 lb. 7mm WSM in an X bolt Mountain Ti, which I love, but the 7mm is hard to find brass and ammo for. The 270 is much more popular, and will do the job just fine. The bullet options for .270 have gotten much better in recent years. In Berger bullets, you'd have to shoot a 245 gr. .30 caliber to beat the B.C. of the 170 gr. .270. I know which one I'd choose, especially in a light rifle.

I have the x-bolt hells canyon long range in 300wm. It's super easy to hump up and down the hills as it's very light and the recoil is mild. I crawled around for a couple days elk hunting in Wyoming last year and thought I couldn't be happier…until I tried using my suppressor. There's a reason they cut it down from 26" to 22" and repackaged it as the SR, too much flex on such a long skinny and fluted barrel.
I like it but wish I had spent the money elsewhere.

I'm in the beginning steps of building a new critter getter in 300wm with a Tikka T3 donor as the base. There's a lot to be said for the Tikkas and I don't think you can go wrong. The Roughtech has a nice brake and might be worth looking at.