• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Tikka SS 280 AI

BigSky!

I am selling a "semi-custom" Tikka 280 AI. This rifle was built on a T3 action which had not been fired. I ordered a McGowen Precision barrel and had them install it. It is a bead blasted, matte finish, McGowen barrel, #2 contour chambered in 280 Ackley Improved (SAAMI version). The barrel is a 1 in 8 twist with an 11 degree crown and is 24 inches long and is not threaded. It has an aftermarket larger Mountain Tactical bolt nob. I will include two magazines and either the standard or more vertical pistol grip. This is all in a Tikka T3X varmint stock. It weighs 7 pounds, 0.4 ounces (that's 7 pounds zero point four ounces). This rifle has been fired exactly 73 rounds. I fired 20 rounds of factory Nosler ammo shooting 140 grain Accubonds into under 3/4 of an inch by me. While doing load development I was able to do the same with 160 grain Accubonds with several loads at or under an inch. I happen to be an average shooter. I need $1,100 plus shipping. By the way the difference between the action and the barrel isn't nearly as stark as the pictures make them look with the camera flash.
o3xP7VLl.jpg

9f8eCEUl.jpg

ky2jILgl.jpg

O.K. I've changed my mind. I'm going to add, at no extra cost, 102 pieces of brass, all once fired. 52 are nickel 280 brass that was fire formed to 280AI and 50 are Nosler brass. I will also throw in a set of RCBS dies. That should enable you to get started.

Back to the top. My apologies as I hate bumping this often; but, it appears as if I don't the thread gets closed.

Additionally, based on the request of someone else, I tried to measure the barrel at the tip and it measures an average of .610.

Last edited:
O.K., I've had several e-mails on multiple forums asking for pictures of groups. I only do so for load work up. I finally dug around and found my targets. The first picture is of the load I finally settled on. You can see an excellent four-round grouping with one renegade. You'll have to take my word for it that the errant hole was a "called flyer" and, if memory serves me correctly, was the second round fired in that group. The second target is my back-up group. I provide that as IMR4831 is more readily available to most people than is RL26. I would like to note, speaking of more readily available, that I got similar results using 162 grain ELD-Ms and, RL26, IMR4831 and RL19. I just don't seem to be able to find that load data.

euhxOEJm.jpg

Rvx6vnWm.jpg

This rifle is no longer for sale. Instead, I'm going to sell my stainless T3X 280AI with a Bartlein barrel in a new ad.