They finally did it!! 6.5 cal 155 grain Berger Elite Hunter!!!

My Barrel is a 26" I use nosler brass 52.7 gr H2O I built it on a long action so COAL is only limited to freebore, most bullets I can load to 2.890" that is .020" of lands.
RL26 is great for heavy bullets, my only question with pushing the 155 is if it would land in a node, Barrel Time would be close at the highest projected speed. If It could not be pushed to 2850-2875 with low SD and good groups than the 140-147 bullets are were I would stay. Funny the 130 ELD-Ms had to be pushed slower to get good groups making even the 143 ELD-X better for long range, but the 147 ELD-M using G-7 BC requires up 65.6" to reach 1760 yard and breaks over to subsonic at 1660 yards. That is according to my Shooter program, actual results not verified.
Yes the 155 is more suited to the larger case capacity 6.5 cartridges for sure.

Wow that's fast for a Creed. 147's at 2930 is impressive. That is 260 AI territory.

Reloder 26 does magical things. In my .260 Ackley I was shooting the 147's at 3015 fps, and got up to 3100. Now with H-4831sc I only got 2975 with the 147

I'm currently shooting a load 1.2 grains or so under my max with Reloder 26 and the Berger 140, and it is going 3090 fps. My max is 3170 fps.

I REALLY wanted to stick with the 147, but I just couldn't get it to shoot as good as the Bergers. The 140 HVLD's were consistently going in 5 shot groups under .3" at 100 yards, and were holding half MOA or less all the way out to 1300 yards. The 147's in my gun had e.s.#'s in the 20's or higher, grouped .5"-.8" at 100 yards and all I could count on them at range for was about 1 MOA. I weighed a box of 100 and they varied .7 grains for the entire box, so I figured that was the reason. I weighed some of my Bergers and stopped at 50 because they were all the same, 140.0

But, now that Berger is making a heavy, high BC bullet, I think it will be perfect for alot of shooters. I'm confident I can get 2950 or more in my rifle. That will be freaking awesome.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even think about pushing one of these in a Creedmoor.

That's what I thought too but Broz over on LRO is testing them in his CM because they had such exceptional(and unexpected) results from the .308 and Berger 215 combo out to a mile. No doubt will be interesting

It will.be awesome in my.264 win mag Ruger stainless rifles .They love 155 grain lapua bullets already this will just stretch out the range .This bullet and a case full of h870 is ,3000 fps awesome hope they come out soon !

That's what I thought too but Broz over on LRO is testing them in his CM because they had such exceptional(and unexpected) results from the .308 and Berger 215 combo out to a mile. No doubt will be interesting

I think the .308 and 215 combo is in a short action?

This 155gr definitely won't fit in a short action Creed so if you are gonna run either single shot or a long action then it's time to bump up the case capacity...it's a hunting rifle, not PRS. No velocity limits out here in the real world of HUNTING ;)

Broz, if you see this thread, thanks for your testing, and all the info I have is coming from you, I'm just passing on the info your giving over in LRO.

Bearing surface of 140 HVLD: .572"

Bearing surface of 155 EOL: .614"
Base to Ogive of 155: .792"
Tip down to bearing surface above boat tail: 1.300"
Boat tail length: .178"
OAL: 1.478"

That is a bearing surface difference of .042" from the 140 hvld.....not much longer!! These are gonna make some LONG OAL's with that nose ha ha.

Again, Thank you Broz for your testing!!! Great job aiding in the advancement of our sport!!

Last edited:
They just said they were testing.them for release at the shot show next year .They were surprised I had heard of them.They will be awesome in my 264 win mag .I already have load data for my 264 and 260 Remington using my 155 grain lapua data .Hopefully they work 1 in 9 twist barrels that's what I.have !

They just said they were testing.them for release at the shot show next year .They were surprised I had heard of them.They will be awesome in my 264 win mag .I already have load data for my 264 and 260 Remington using my 155 grain lapua data .Hopefully they work 1 in 9 twist barrels that's what I.have !
Highly doubtful that they will work in your 9 twist. I think someone ran the twist rate calculator on them and at sea level you'll need a 7.5 twist. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I have a 700 LA sittin around and a 6.5-270 wsm reamer :) I may put one together with a long tube in a 1:8 and try some wc 872 in it

Would like to try these in my 6.5saum. My one thought is what the jump would be in my rifle, using a detachable mag, oal is limited to 2.9 i believe. Chamber is cut with .081 FB reamer.

Need to see if these will shoot in my McWhorter 6.,5 Weatherby. I have 100 rounds already loaded with its pet load, 67.5 H-1000. Berger 140VLD. I also just tried the 140 Elite Hunters, they may shoot better than the VLD's. And now THIS???

No wonder Sierra sold. Their marketing people should have been paying attention. Although the Sierra is and always will be hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.