Thermal scope recommendations

Just looking for some advice...

So much to choose from with many new models coming out...

I really don't need a thermal that will let me shoot a Coyote at 500 yards, rather my criteria would be;

1. Identify and shoot rabbits out to 100 yards.
2. Identify and shoot coyotes out to 200 yards.
3. For scouting purposes, merely see the heat signature from deer sized animals in open country out to 1500 yards.

Option 1; a "clip on" style scope I could use to scan, and then mount on the front of my regular scope when I find the bunny I want to shoot.

OR

Option 2; a dedicated thermal scope mounted on the rifle, plus a second dedicated scanner thermal.

I don't care much about features like onboard video recording or wifi... but I would like range finding capability to be built in. Also, the lighter weight the better (preferably under 16oz including batteries)

This will be my first thermal, and probably not used more than 10-20 times a season, so the lower the price, the better. Mostly used for hunting jackrabbits, and pest coyotes in the blm behind our house. But sometimes used to help Identify deer bedding areas during the scouting season across canyons, etc.

I will probably post an ad on the classifieds as well. if anyone has a used one they would be interested in trading for some other firearms.
Ranging out to couple hundred yards should not require a rangefinder. Anyone can practice a little and estimate range within rifle hunting requirements within 200yds. But, if you must, you might try a Burris Eliminator ranging scope with a clip-on thermal in front. Then, during the day, the Eliminator still serves as a daylight system. Eurooptic has often sold the Burris Eliminator 4-16 for $999.

I'm in Australia, so prices are likely much more than what you guys pay, which might have influenced my decision, but after much looking, I have settled on a combo - thermal spotter and IR scope. The new Pulsar Digex are worth a look.

I would make a call to the guys over at outdoorleagacy they are the ones that put on the night vision guys you tube videos they will answer all your questions and they sell all of them, I just sold a Flir pts 536 thermal and upgraded to a n vision halo xrf scope and holy moly huge difference but also a huge cost difference, killed a coyote with my 223 ar first night out at a true yard ranged at 384 yards this thing is awesome. You just have to decide how much money your spending then find the best one out there for that range. Never look at nicer because every time you step up in money the picture gets better and you will be not as happy with the one you do but cheaper.
Just my thought

Ranging out to couple hundred yards should not require a rangefinder. Anyone can practice a little and estimate range within rifle hunting requirements within 200yds. But, if you must, you might try a Burris Eliminator ranging scope with a clip-on thermal in front. Then, during the day, the Eliminator still serves as a daylight system. Eurooptic has often sold the Burris Eliminator 4-16 for $999.
My rabbit hunting is done with a 22lr rifle. Lots of drop to account for, so the rangefinder helps, even at sub 200 yards for detailed dialing. For coyotes with my 223 or 6.5, you are correct, the ranging capabilities would be less important.

My rabbit hunting is done with a 22lr rifle. Lots of drop to account for, so the rangefinder helps, even at sub 200 yards for detailed dialing. For coyotes with my 223 or 6.5, you are correct, the ranging capabilities would be less important.
Bering optics Super Hogster around $3400 would be my choice. From what I have seen they are the best for your money out there .

So, I've had suggestions of the following scopes and scanners (other than the $6k plus options) Any feedback, negative reviews, or upsides on any of them over the others? Any I should steer clear of?

Super hogster
Super yoter 640 (and clip on model)
Rattler
Atn thor hd 640 models
Thor 384 models
Flir otm236
Atn ots hd 384
Pulsar Proton
Burris btc
Bering phenom

So, I've had suggestions of the following scopes and scanners (other than the $6k plus options) Any feedback, negative reviews, or upsides on any of them over the others? Any I should steer clear of?

Super hogster
Rattler
Atn thor hd 640 models
Thor 384 models
Flir otm236
Atn ots hd 384
Pulsar Proton
Burris btc
Bering phenom
Lots of stuff out there on you tube on the Hogster ,review's and outdoor legacy

... I just sold a Flir pts 536 thermal and upgraded to a n vision halo xrf scope and holy moly huge difference but also a huge cost difference, killed a coyote with my 223 ar first night out at a true yard ranged at 384 yards this thing is awesome...
Did you get the 35mm or 50mm version? Also, why the XRF? Do you find the range finder that useful? I'm looking at the mid-grade version with on-board recording but, without the rangefinder.

Bering optics Super Hogster around $3400 would be my choice. From what I have seen they are the best for your money out there .
The Hogsters are in the low $2K range with better fields of view but, frame rates and resolution are not as good. The Hogsters are usable as a clunky handheld too.

The Super Hogsters is good but, the Super Yoter is where I would go in this price range for its sensor and frame rate.

I say this coming from an older FLIR unit.

Something to keep in mind is whether you want to stay with the USA manufacturers like FLIR, IR Defense/Trijicon, N-Vision or go French with Pulsar.

In the sub-$3K range, Bering Optics Hogster thermals will give you a lot of performance for the money spent. In the $3.5K~$5K, I would shop the Bering Optics Super Yoter against the Pulsar options.

For $6200 the N-Vision Nox 19mm is an easy choice, sort of like a PVS-14 in night vision terms. I'm personally looking at this one or the Nox 35mm for $6700. If I get the Halo 50mm (~$8K), the Nox 19mm is an easy win for hand scanning use and use on lighter weight rifles used closer in.

Super hogster
Rattler
Atn thor hd 640 models
Thor 384 models
Flir otm236
Atn ots hd 384
Pulsar Proton
Burris btc
Bering phenom
First, clip-ons for most people are an overrated waste of time and money. Clip-ons are really for use with day optics and such for the most part. People that recommend them as a handheld option probably haven't ever really looked through one 'in the field'.

Super hogster/Super yoter 640 (and clip on model)
The Super Yoter is a good option but, priced high enough to make other options attractive

Rattler
Atn thor hd 640 models
Thor 384 models

These brands lack the support to earn my dollars.

Flir otm236
After FLIR abandoned me with my first thermal, I won't be spending any more of my money on their products. Be wary of any company that drops support for their products.

Atn ots hd 384
Pulsar Proton
Burris btc
Bering phenom

Before I spend $3200 on a Bering Optics Phenom, I would suck up the financial pain and get a Nox 19mm. The Nox 19mm works well on a helmet mount like a PVS-14 and can be used on a lighter-weight rifle (think Ruger 10/22 or a CZ-457 22WMR). If I am buddy hunting, it will also support a friend on an AR-15 or AR-10.

In summary, I don't think most people will be happy with Thermal scopes costing less than $2K. The only Chinese-based solutions I personally will consider are Bering Optics Hogsters. I was all excited about the Super Yoter but, its price point is too close to the N-Vision Nox for me to buy one today.

Of course, comparing a $6K thermal scope against a <$3K Hogster isn't really a fair comparison any more than comparing a $1200 FLIR spotter to a Bering Optics Phenom is.

First, clip-ons for most people are an overrated waste of time and money. Clip-ons are really for use with day optics and such for the most part. People that recommend them as a handheld option probably haven't ever really looked through one 'in the field'.

Super hogster/Super yoter 640 (and clip on model)
The Super Yoter is a good option but, priced high enough to make other options attractive

Rattler
Atn thor hd 640 models
Thor 384 models

These brands lack the support to earn my dollars.

Flir otm236
After FLIR abandoned me with my first thermal, I won't be spending any more of my money on their products. Be wary of any company that drops support for their products.

Atn ots hd 384
Pulsar Proton
Burris btc
Bering phenom

Before I spend $3200 on a Bering Optics Phenom, I would suck up the financial pain and get a Nox 19mm. The Nox 19mm works well on a helmet mount like a PVS-14 and can be used on a lighter-weight rifle (think Ruger 10/22 or a CZ-457 22WMR). If I am buddy hunting, it will also support a friend on an AR-15 or AR-10.

In summary, I don't think most people will be happy with Thermal scopes costing less than $2K. The only Chinese-based solutions I personally will consider are Bering Optics Hogsters. I was all excited about the Super Yoter but, its price point is too close to the N-Vision Nox for me to buy one today.

Of course, comparing a $6K thermal scope against a <$3K Hogster isn't really a fair comparison any more than comparing a $1200 FLIR spotter to a Bering Optics Phenom is.
Thanks for the detailed response. Can you elaborate on the lack of support from companies like atn and flir?

you can not buy any flir scopes direct from them any more, thats why I got a good deal on the pts 536 a year ago, problem is when the scope goes out of warranty they will not touch it period paid or unpaid they are out of the consumer side, thats why I went to Nvision. 5 year warranty

Did you get the 35mm or 50mm version? Also, why the XRF? Do you find the range finder that useful? I'm looking at the mid-grade version with on-board recording but, without the rangefinder.
The XRF only comes as the 50mm, The Flir was a 50mm also but let me tell you the Nvision has a lot larger field of view at base magnification, the range finder comes in very handy for sure especially for long shots tough to figure distance at night without it.
The Halo-x comes with onboard video no range finder. I bought mine from Thermal Optics plus they are outside Chattanooga Tn. which is 2 hours up the rd. from me here in Ga. They also throw in a lot of extras like 2 extra sets of battery and other stuff for same money everyone else is asking without them. I deal with a guy named Camron he's great to deal with for sure and they also sell every other brand too.

https://thermalopticsplus.com/

I do like the specs on the super yoter, maybe the super yoter clip on. The hogster clip on looks very lightweight and compact, that is certainly appealing.
You need too Google Berring optics and ask where they are made . This company is a Texas based company and assemble these scopes . There are some Chinese knockoffs that have nothing too do with Berring optics . I would suggest doing some research on them , there is a lot of info on these scopes with good reviews.

Recent Posts