Thermal or NVG for hogs

Scottso

Been getting gear for hog hunting over last few years. Currently have a PVS-14 , a PVS 27, IR illuminators and laser, started looking at thermals. Drawback on NVGs is flash from rifle shot. And white light can ruin **** fast lol. Was looking to add a Thermal either clip on like the 27, or stand alone, budget would be $4500 area, unless I sell off the 27, which would give me a $5k bump in budget. Hunting will be done a few times a year, central Florida if that matters .
Thoughts, opinions, suggestions all welcome. Thanks in advance

Thermal is quicker for follow up shots as you don't have to look for the target since it stands out more. I have been pleased with my AGM but for your budget I'd look at Pulsar, Bering, and IRay as well.

A thermal handheld is extremely useful as well so you may want to add one of those also. They work great for game recovery, finding pets or livestock, and you just plain use it more than the scope. I had 2 of the handhelds until one was stolen out of my truck last week. Now I have to save up to replace it.

Thermal is quicker for follow up shots as you don't have to look for the target since it stands out more. I have been pleased with my AGM but for your budget I'd look at Pulsar, Bering, and IRay as well.

A thermal handheld is extremely useful as well so you may want to add one of those also. They work great for game recovery, finding pets or livestock, and you just plain use it more than the scope. I had 2 of the handhelds until one was stolen out of my truck last week. Now I have to save up to replace it.
Hear mixed reviews on the pulsar holding zero, and 2lbs lol

Hear mixed reviews on the pulsar holding zero, and 2lbs lol
I haven't heard any of that. I know they have one of the best warranty's in the business but irays is longer. I wonder if it's someone switching profiles and not realizing it, saying it's not holding zero

I haven't heard any of that. I know they have one of the best warranty's in the business but irays is longer. I wonder if it's someone switching profiles and not realizing it, saying it's not holding zero
No, more than a few complaints, and for the money keeps me wary

I can confess that this happened to me using my Pulsar once not too long ago. I inadvertently selected a profile that had never even been set up. Gotta watch that button pushing on thermals.

That said, if I had $6k to spend on night hunting optics I'd buy the two best thermals I could find and forget about conventional NV without a second thought, and if I needed only one I'd look at the top of the line Iray thermals. Hard to go wrong with a Pulsar though, and they say the Hogster is a great optic. I just acquired an AGM Adder TS35-384 at a good price and I think I'm going to like it...and it cost nowhere near $6k.

Personally I'd get an adder, hogster, or IRay bolt and a handheld thermal monocular for $4500.

I'm running a rattler 35-384 for an out 2 years and it's been stellar so far.
I follow what you're sayin...I spent my money on thermal rifle scopes and cheaped out on monoculars for detection. I'd have been better off with a thermal monocular for detection and DNV for steering bullets from the outset, but I didn't realize that when it all started. Fortunately I'm now caught up and have thermal for everything, but I'd have gotten here by a different path had I known then what I know now.

If it were me I'd keep PVS 14 for scanning. Newer ones are autogated shuts down around bright lights. Sell PVS 27.
Pulsar had last years Thermion top lines dropped to mid level pricing. AGM is old FLIR models (modified). Still running an old 5 year FLIR no issues.

I follow what you're sayin...I spent my money on thermal rifle scopes and cheaped out on monoculars for detection. I'd have been better off with a thermal monocular for detection and DNV for steering bullets from the outset, but I didn't realize that when it all started. Fortunately I'm now caught up and have thermal for everything, but I'd have gotten here by a different path had I known then what I know now.
That's what I did to begin with. Had a wraith hd and then picked up a thermal monocular. Shortly thereafter the stimulus checks came out and mine showed up in the form of a Rattler 35 and another monocular (tm160 was free with scope). Still have the wraith as I feel recording function might be good when my kids start hunting deer. Plus it's my buddy scope.

What rifle will you use for hunting?

I've got both thermal and NV clip-ons. I think the clip-ons make a rifle more versatile than using a dedicated thermal/NV rig.

My thermal is an older ATN unit, and my NVs are Armasights. Both have their advantages. Pigs can't hide from thermals, but sometimes it is difficult to tell what you are looking at other than a white or black blob. The NV's are great for detail, but I've had trouble finding hogs through the NV when I can clearly see them with my thermal handheld.

If you you use a bolt action, you will need to get a rail. I've got a few with McCann rails that work great! I'm not sure if they are still in business or not, but I've no complaints.

The only issue I've found using a clip-ons is that it can get awkward walking through a field or through the woods. They do get a little heavy when making a long stalk.

I've attached a photo of my R700 .308 with the McCann rail and the Armasight NV clip-on. R700 5R.JPG

Recent Posts