There’s something about a .308 Win and 168 SMKs

So is there one load that will work well in an FAL, an AR10 and an M70 in the 308?
Since the FAL is gas piston I'd probably stick with either H4895 or maybe IMR4064. IMO Ideally I'd go with H4895 with 168gr pills. And don't push them hard since feeding them in an a semi-auto. Lower node accuracy loads and you'll do just fine. My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

I had a M1A Supermatch McMillan some years ago which I was absolutely stupid to part with. Amazing rifle and one of the best battle/ sniper rifles ever made. I needed a porter to carry it though and I think that's why I sold it. I replaced it with a POF 308 which was a great rifle in it's own right but never shot like my bolt guns

I shot this group today with my Tikka 20" CTR. This is the first time I've taken it out to some distance. I think this is a keeper load. It's about a 3.5" group at 600 hundo!
View attachment 564910
Sure looks great. I feel the exact same way with my 6cm and 107 smk. It's just a hammer. Great shooting

44 gr 4064 168smk Peterson brass 5R 20" barrel 500yds
IMG_0819.jpeg

Yes. A lot of various rifle matches have been won and records set with a good 308 and 168SMK's. Even with the match M1A's we used many years back, many great groups were fired on the 600yd prone. Many great things happened with 155gr Palma bullets/loads at 800-1,000 also.

I have one 308 in 26" heavy varmint that shoots the 155's so well, you can routinely take P-dogs with it at 600yds. But when the range really gets long, the 175's start to dominate.

A lot of people ignore a good 308 for cartridges that burn much more powder and get more speed, but a good 308 is very efficient, typically easy to load for good accuracy, easy on the recoil and isn't overly finicky.
I shot high power for quite a few years until my vision started going. I shot a model 70 that was built up by a fellow on the east coast. It had a 26" fluted Hart barrel and with a scope mounted, it would shoot ragged one hole groups with 168MK loads using Winchester brass, 42grs of 4064 and a Rem 9 1/2 primer. These same loads shot really well in my M1A also.

Last edited:
..165 Sierras are the perfect match for that .308 size case and there a darn good hunting bullet also....
for sure, I started with the 165 Sierra (the BT and the HPBT) along with 4064 going back 45 years ago. Those Sierra 165's still work as good as ever. I have a slight preference for the HPBT.

308 Win and 168gr SMK were the standard in the 70's and early 80's for NRA Methallic Silhouette competition.

Then the 7mm-08 came about, or 7x308 that we called it back then.

Now I see more 6.5 cartridges than anything. But, some are still loyal to the good old 308 Win with the 168gr SMK.

I believe there hasn't been a reason to change bullets really, when the 168gr SMK's have always shot good in pretty much any 308 rifle out there.

Even in the 7mm-08, I shot the 168gr, and then the 150gr SMK in every silhouette rifle, up until 3 years ago when they became unavailable in 7mm.

308 Win and 168gr SMK were the standard in the 70's and early 80's for NRA Methallic Silhouette competition.

Then the 7mm-08 came about, or 7x308 that we called it back then.

Now I see more 6.5 cartridges than anything. But, some are still loyal to the good old 308 Win with the 168gr SMK.

I believe there hasn't been a reason to change bullets really, when the 168gr SMK's have always shot good in pretty much any 308 rifle out there.

Even in the 7mm-08, I shot the 168gr, and then the 150gr SMK in every silhouette rifle, up until 3 years ago when they became unavailable in 7mm.
That old dead horse .308win along with 165 grain Sierras will handle the vast vast majority of all your hunting needs anywhere on the planet, guaranteed ! You do your job and that ole' gal will more than do hers....somewhere along the line we've been bamboozled by marketing gimmick cartridges that couldn't compare to her...

That old dead horse .308win along with 165 grain Sierras will handle the vast vast majority of all your hunting needs anywhere on the planet, guaranteed ! You do your job and that ole' gal will more than do hers....somewhere along the line we've been bamboozled by marketing gimmick cartridges that couldn't compare to her...

There is a reason why some many cartridges have come from the 308 case.

The search or desire, of lighter recoiling cartridges is what I believe has created this plethora of smaller cartridges that can kill elephants a mile away LOL.

Last edited: