The wait is the worst part....

7STDUBBERU

Well I started another SP build and thought I would just share my project with you guys. I only have a couple of friends that will talk handguns with me and I am sure I am wearing them out.;)

Gre-Tan is building me a Remington XP in 338x300 (W)SM. I have ordered the Krieger barrel (15" 1-10)twist and the McMillan stock. All I have left to decide is what brake to put on it. And then Greg will work his magic. I am pumped and hope to get this in time for an elk hunt a buddy and I are planning for next year. Anyone else got anything in the works?

Shawn

An elk hunt next year... Gonna share a tent with Doug??? I'm going to be playing with the 140 accubonds in my 7wsm and saving money for the next one. I'm hoping to make it out to Rich's 1000 yard shoot this summer.

Shawn,
Don't get a JP so that we can compare yours to mine, although mine is 18" and a Savage action. It's a pussycat to shoot the 180g AB at over 3k fps.
Going for bear in spring? I'm hoping to make my first trip to AK. ;-)))

Mike

PS I know what you mean about friends/co workers.

Yeah, me and old Dougie are planning a roadtrip. We are going to drive out and try to time everything just right. The SP antelope hunt then on the Colorado for a DIY elk and mulie hunt. Then on the way home maybe stop off in Nebraska for anothe rantelope or perhaps a buffalo while we are out there. It is still in the planning stages but we are definately doing it...

Oh by the way, my Savage action is in, what am I going to do with it???

Alaska is in the works for this year too.....you are more than welcome to go with us.

Last edited:
I have to adj the trigger on mine just to lite for hunting. With the extra trigger (red) setup it has to be set heavier for me to be consistent.

Mike

Shawn

You are more than welcome to talk guns anytime you want. Just dial the number.

Got the brass yesterday and thank you very much. They already have been run through the expanding die and added to the to load portion of the bench.

New Project: Rear grip stock from some crusty ole stock maker in Alaska, Savage Target Action from Northland shooters supply, 17" McGowen 338 X 378 Weatherby barrel, dies from RCBS, shooting 225 grain Accubonds for hunting and the 245 grain match bullets from Display Products. An improved chamber reamer and dies for the big 338 should be available in the next few weeks so will send the barrel back for a re-chamber when the dies are finished. The brake at this time is the same one my wife shoots on her 338WSM. With 225 grain Accubonds at 2770fps from her Striker, she is more than happy with recoil reduction. I have also contacted Kirby and Nathan Dagly about putting their brakes on as well. When I get the barrel today or tomorrow I will check the threads and have the other two brakes made accordingly.

A second project that has been running concurrently with the above is a 510 S&S Rogue. This is an improved 500 A square and I have asked Dave at the above bullet operation to make me a 600 grain bullet for this new handgun cartridge. AFter speaking with a number of brake makers I ordered the arrowhead 6 port brake from Barrett Rifles for the big 50!

Neal

Matt

Here is another idea for the Alaska trip. How about getting the significant other to pick up a second or third job.

The stress of everything you do requires mad money for new toys that go bang and travel to wild places to avoid those stresses as well.

Neal

Neal,
I didn't know you also did marriage counseling too. Where were you 28 years ago when I was getting started? ;-)))

Mike

Not taking my own advice and working 2-3 jobs along with raising a family.

At 48 I told my wife the old body could not take it anymore and went to one job. She got another one!

Not enough money apparently so she went back to school and November 21 she graduates with a degree so I do not have to work any more. One job for two people is just about right Mike.

All is good

Neal

Last edited:
Shawn,
Sounds like a great project.
Also sounds like you have a lot of fun hunting plans as well.
Greg builds great rigs as you know.
Call me anytime (well, almost anytime:D) when you want to talk handguns.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.