The Ultimate Hunting Rifle Action!

FlatCreekPrecision

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
What's everyone's thoughts and interest in what was once a thing! Thats imo the 704 action designed by Ed Brown and later bought and produced under the name Legendary Arms Works which unfortunately was short lived. The action utilizes a M1 Garand style extractor and a fixed ejector and a one piece bolt. A three position safety was available as well as Remington style drop in triggers, I believe if we had a current manufacture that would take the time to fix a few minor issues with the 704 we as hunters and rifle builders would again have the ultimate rifle action again, but designed with an Integral Recoil Lug and Repeatable headspace, 3 position safety and positive and timed firing control system. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this action. I know only a very guys have actually used one. And I have and absolutely love the design. And a bonus would be if we had an option of titanium!

On paper the 704 was about as good as it gets. I had a LAW in 260 and the rifle as a whole was great.
My experiences also, I could just imagine the platform if a custom action builder would get behind it! With all the knowledge and innovation in the industry it would be a win win!

Last edited:
I much prefer a safety mounted on the bolt that controls the firing pin. Locking the bolt is nice also. Recoil lug, I have used both, a fixed ejector is a delight both on the bench and in the field. The Ruger 77 safety is a good attempt. I have ham handed friends that can consistently move the safety to the middle position when running the bolt fast. Lots of neat actions out there but most of the features are slanted toward competition rather than hunting.

1714221112039.png

M704 extractor.

I don't know anything.... but that looks like a lot of important metal removed for the ejector....
I don't know anything.... but that looks like a lot of important metal removed for the ejector....
I could see where you would question it, but with the Garand being around almost 90 years, that rifle snatches back the bolt with a ton more force than you or I ever could so the design is very solid. I feel in these situations enough is enough and more is useless