The Black Rifle Has Come Of Age

ADMIN

Administrator
It was Col. Townsend Wheeling who said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting," and I will agree. Someone else said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and that too, is a truism. While the black rifle doesn't have the historical beauty of a well shaped, beautiful wood stocked bolt gun, there are ARs being built that, in this shooter's eyes, are yet another form of beauty, both in their looks and accuracy. Unless you've been living under a rock and are in complete denial, you know the AR rifle is here and it is truly a modern sporting rifle.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The Black Rifle Has Come Of Age, By Charles E. Speck. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

My meant to be constructive comments as follows:

The writer wrote a nice article, but no one is perfect. His readership would be grateful if writers would always confirm the distance underneath a picture of a group that is shot. The writer is not alone as it seems to be a common fault of people writing about the results of their range experience. Just a bad, bad, oversight.

The other is the use of abbreviations or acronyms, which is more common than not among most shooting authors, as though you have to know the special language of an elite group of people to be included in the understanding what the writer is saying. Please Mr. Writer, communicate, don't isolate.

Of course we can assume it's not the intention of the writer to do this deliberately but unless readers bring it to writers's attention they will do it over and over again.

Joe M.
Chagrin Falls, Oh.

Great article! I have been an avid egg shooter, competimg for several years with the traditional bolt rifles used for the sport. After getting a little bored, I decided to try to see what I could do with an AR, which I have been a fan of for quite a while. The results have been excellent and for the last couple of years, have been able to give the bolt guns a good run for the money. I have two very accurate rigs, a 223 DPMS upper with a 24" heavy barrel, RRA trigger, Nightforce 5.5x22, and a Whitely 6mmAR uppper, 24" hart barrel, RRA trigger and a Nightforce 8x22 Benchrest. My lowers are a basic Colt and Bushmaster respectively. One critical aspect is to make sure the play is removed completely between the upper and lower. I use a home made devise that consists of one of the plastic tension wedges with a hole drilled onto the center of the base. I then to length and insert a Smith and Wesson rebound spring to maintain tension and eliiminate the fatique which happens over time with the plastic wedge alone. I dont like the tension pins which tend toloosen up and wear out the frames pin hole. Both rigs deliver .25-.5 MOA at 100 yard. 5 shot group consistantly.

For Joe M., I want to thank you for your comments. Indeed, I took them as a positive feed back. I am guilty of playing to my audience because I felt most if not all of this on line magazine viewership would be familiar with the subject. Your view is salient and I'm taking note for future writings and indeed, I'm no way near perfect! I would like you to point out which abbreviations and acronyms you are referring to? I thought I only used standard, known ones.
About the ranges the targets were shot; I think all but one showed the distance either on the target or in the caption below. Again, assumptions shouldn't be made, but usually, if the range isn't given, it's generally assumed to be 100 yards. Of course, that's to that "elite" group I'm mostly writing for. I will use your comments to guide me in any future writings and again, I thank you.
For Greyfox, thank you too for your generous comment! I also agree with you about the play between the upper and lower; it will effect accuracy too. Like I said in the article, you have two that will drive tacks and give bolt guns a run for the money!
Charles

i'm in the planning stages of a large frame AR build in .243 and after reading your write-up i would like to contact Matt Salm about the build. Do you have contact information for him?

thanks,

Pretty good read but he does not need to use the word "tactical" in the article. Sold all of my Stoners but I am getting one of the new 308 Colts this summer!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts