The 6.5 PRC, "The one that got away"

Litehiker

At the time I ordered my 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X-Bolt Pro "semi-custom" rifle the 6.5 PRC was not available in Browning X-Bolts. I get consistent 1/2 MOA accuracy with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X ammo and I do have 6.5 CM Redding precision dies since I compete with a 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.

So now I have both an older .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt and that 6.5 CM X-Bolt Pro.

Seems to me the 6.5PRC could fill the role of both rifles for game here in Nevada and other parts of the mountain west. Plus in the X-Bolt Pro it coms in a 24" barrel which I feel is the ideal length for that cartridge in a hunting rifle.

SO... now I'm thinking of selling both rifles and getting the X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC.
Is that a sane decision? Or is my quiver already "perfect" for the intended game?

Eric B.

Plinker, you are an "enabler". ;o)
But yeah, nothing like that "New Object Worship" feeling.

Believe me, I'm still thinking about this. And there's always the 30 PRC as well...

Eric B.

Last edited:
The 7mm Rem Mag version might be a solid 1 caliber/cartridge choice.
7mm RM with a 180 eld is no slouch. Not very finicky to load for, recoil comparable to a 30-06. Ammo, bullet & brass selection galor. Bullets can be loaded out long in most rifles. 7mm rem mag is the most underated round out there, grandpappie's cartridge. But grandpappie didn't have 180 elds or 195 Berger's. Lots of other fine cartridges out there, just not much love for the old 7mm RM. Like I said, highly underated.

Both those PRC intrigue me.
It is all about shot placement so the 6.5 will work just fine on Elk as well if you know it and your limitations and stick to them.
I know as most my Elk hunting is done with self made long bows.
Besides, it is always fun getting a new toy!

Sell a rifle oh my! Keep 3 there is no law against having many to play with. And 300 win mag for Elk even buy a 338 win mag as well.

Woud be great to here how they perform for you guys.
Thinking once I burn the barrel out of my Sako 7mm RUM i might see about rebarreling it to 300 PRC if possible.

Woud be great to here how they perform for you guys.
Thinking once I burn the barrel out of my Sako 7mm RUM i might see about rebarreling it to 300 PRC if possible.
By the time that happens you may want to think about a 7-300 prc. I believe PTG is making reamers for that now actually.

Recent Posts