The “other” hpbt bullets for hunting?

Here is a factory 230SMK, Then a 230SMK thats had the tip opened to .039 then a berger 230 OTM. All are .308 bullets. Just from the tip alone I would say no way to the 230SMK in factory form for shooting game.
230SMK modded 003.JPG

These bullets are in the same order as the above picture. Just opened to see what they look like in the inside.
230SMK modded 004.JPG

Same order again just close up.
230SMK modded 005.JPG

Just by the picture's, you can tell the Berger will open upon impact. Even at a lower velocity. is not rocket science.

Here is a factory 230SMK, Then a 230SMK thats had the tip opened to .039 then a berger 230 OTM. All are .308 bullets. Just from the tip alone I would say no way to the 230SMK in factory form for shooting game.View attachment 139430

These bullets are in the same order as the above picture. Just opened to see what they look like in the inside.
View attachment 139431
View attachment 139432

Just by the picture's, you can tell the Berger will open upon impact. Even at a lower velocity. is not rocket science.

You've got to shoot hornady to enjoy the "rocket science" (their superformance advertisements).

Thanks for the pictures, there's a real difference for sure. Jacket thickness looks the same to the naked eye though, so I trust it really is just about the meplat?

Add to this question the lapua scenar while we're at it. If anyone has cross sectioned bullets on hand of the rdf or the scenar that'd be great to see. From the depictions of the manufacturers (illustrations, not actual cross section photos) the void beneath the meplat on these is huuuuuge and should in theory compensate for the tiny hollow point (the hp being unnecessary if the whole nose just blows away)

You've got to shoot hornady to enjoy the "rocket science" (their superformance advertisements).

Thanks for the pictures, there's a real difference for sure. Jacket thickness looks the same to the naked eye though, so I trust it really is just about the meplat?

Its mainly the Meplat yes. Also the Berger has more empty space behind the meplat. That to will help with expansion. The Sierra jacket is a little thicker closer to the base. Other than that the jackets are close.

Here is a factory 230SMK, Then a 230SMK thats had the tip opened to .039 then a berger 230 OTM. All are .308 bullets. Just from the tip alone I would say no way to the 230SMK in factory form for shooting game.View attachment 139430

View attachment 139431
View attachment 139432

Screenshot_20190628-181538_Chrome.jpg
is this a void or distortion from grinding? I don't think it's distortion because the jacket is not disturbed.

I have a good load for one of my 6.5 WSM rifles with 140 RDF. I've opened the tips with .7mm bit. The void is about as deep as a 140 Hybrid.

I am probably going to see how they perform on whitetail this fall.

Screenshot_20190628-182851_Gallery.jpg
Excuse me for overanalyzing this.

Another comparison about these two bullets, both weigh the same but there is a lot more lead in the SMK. This leads me to believe that Bergers lead is ( not only more consistent) but very likely more dense. Meaning is might be less prone to lead fragmentation than the SMK.
Just saying.

View attachment 139476is this a void or distortion from grinding? I don't think it's distortion because the jacket is not disturbed.

As it sits now its a void. I can not say for sure. But I did have the bullet so hot the lead was starting to flake a little. I used a sander to open them up. They got so hot the jackets changed color on that bullet. So I can not say for sure. The sanding disk had a lot of lead built up on it and I feel that started to fill in the tips a little as they were being sanded. It might not have been the best way to open them. It was easy and fast though.

I've shot a few hogs with "non-match HP" bullets. Did it kill them. Yup. Eventually. But would not advise it. 99% of hogs drop in the dirt, dead before they hit the ground with all my 6.5 Creedmoor kills. With the bullet construction you are talking about there's a good chance they're gonna run requiring multiple follow up shots.

berger bullets are established as match type hunting bullets, with special consideration given to ensuring bullet upset and fragmentation for terminal performance.

I'm looking for input, be it opinion, observation, experience, regarding non-berger hpbt match type bullets and their terminal performance, as the general consensus is, well, nonexistent. I know there's lots of discussions out there about this but I want to see if in recent times anyone here has used any of the following and what happened.

Nosler rdf

Hornady hpbt (not eld, just the plain old match bullets)

Sierra matchking.
I have used 215gr Berger hybrids from the time Berger brought them to market. I hunt and shoot long range and have done moose boos deer along with brown and black bears with them all one shot and down I like 18oo ft lbs so 875 is max for moose and browns. before the 215 bergers I used 210 vlds

I have used 215gr Berger hybrids from the time Berger brought them to market. I hunt and shoot long range and have done moose boos deer along with brown and black bears with them all one shot and down I like 18oo ft lbs so 875 is max for moose and browns. before the 215 bergers I used 210 vlds

215 is one of the best .30 cal hunting bullets out there. Not to mention its great for target shooting. LOL I have been shooting them since 2014 or there abouts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.