Tell me something..

Like said above it makes since for Fun shooting and Matches, But a True long range hunting rifle it doesn't have any advantages and really hurts you more on the High BC Long bullets by robbing case capacity by making you seat the bullets so deep. I run my 28 Nosler at 3.800 from a Wyatts Extended Box mag which I couldn't do from a DBM.

Sounds like it may not be as popular as I was thinking it was. I usually go a step farther in my personal long range rifles and use single shot actions. I can load to any length, dont worry about closing tips on bergers, and can load surprisingly fast. I killed a running elk at 300 yards a couple years ago (needed a fast follow up) and never felt slighted with a single shot.

I hate the added weight of most DBMs so I won't run one. Plus as already stated they limit COAL.

I use single shot actions, or convert what I have to single shot.
I also delete ejection & pick rounds out.

I don't chamber a round in the field until I'm fully ready to squeeze the trigger.
And if I miss with that shot, it lives another day.
Just my rule, no follow-up shooting.

The Smith that put my custom 28 Nosler together, it was originally ordered with a floor plate, but they contacted me before the build was finished stating they had problems with the floor plate spring not feeding properly. They recommended using the HS Precision DBM, it had plenty of room in the mag to run a longer throat than a SAMMI specs. The only reason they could see was different was the spring in the DBM was a little stronger.

The HS is way short for my reamer. I have not had any issue with the 28 feeding from a BDL. Center feeds are slick though. I like the HS dbm, they work well. I also like that they dont rattle.

My 1st custom build had Seekins bottom metal. Never really needed to use magazine. Have used this rifle as single shot ever since.

All 4 of my other LR customs are single shot. Has never been a problem for me. Followup shots are few and far between.

Ray

Ever load a savage center feed? Its like loading a pistol mag kind of. Or you can turn the rifle over and drop them in from the bottom and close the floorplate, thats real easy.

I favor a floor plate or blind mag over a dbm in a bolt hunting rifle! Simple, low weight, fits in the palm of my hand while carrying the rifle in the field, won't hang up when shooting off a backpack or getting in the way like a DBM can.

Even in my Avatar pic you'll see me pushing up on a ten (10) round AI box due to the weight and not functioning correctly in a match although I did fix that issue. I use them in LR Tactical events, but prefer a DBL/Blind mag in a hunting gun for the most part... Oh, and my 300 NM TRG-42 uses the most expensive mag boxes known to man to have to buy, but that's only because it's a Sako!

I have a couple of Savages that use the factory flush DBMs. I really like them personally, but I have thought about losing one. Wouldn't stop me from single loading and killing something if it did happen.

I prefer a low capacity magazine like on my Cooper. It holds a few rounds of 300WM and I can have a 2nd one in my pocket, rather than loose ammo.

That being said, I put in a BDL hinged floor plate in my light weight 7mmRM to save a few ounces.

I just weighted a dbm m5 type bottom metal with a 3rd wsm accurate mag VS all the bdl parts. Its a 1/4lb more for the dbm.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.