Target Scope Recommendation

bookworm

Looking for recommendations on a high mag (36x?) target scope.

I'm not currently planning to compete, but playing around to see how small of groups I can shoot.

My budget is relatively light...preferrably less than $500ish.

The two scopes I'm looking at right now are the Weaver T-Series and the Sightron SII Competition series...leaning toward the Sightron due to the eye relief and slightly lower price.

I hear that a lot of people have used the Weaver over the years, but my only concern is eye relief (only 3").

I can't find much for comments on the sightron.

Any experience with either of these scope and/or recommendations for other scopes I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
First, do not buy a 36x or anything over 20x for live varmits; the field of view is so narrow that you have trouble getting the varmint centered. For competition, I have two Weaver 36's, a Leupold 40X and a NF 12-42. The NF and Leupold have both been returned for repairs. But, I have never had a problem with either Weaver. I bought a Sightron 36x many years ago and did not like it. They tell me the new Sightrons are very good. You can't go wrong with the Weaver 36x selling for about $350.

Thanks Gene - appreciate the response.

How is the eye relief on the Weaver? They list it at 3"...do you feel that is accurate? You ever have it on a rifle with a good amount of recoil?

I have a 300WM that I want to mount this on and 3" is probably marginal. Maybe on a bench set-up it would be enough.

Never considered the eye relief to be a problem. Don't even know what Weaver claims it to be, but you can check it out. Currently, one Weaver is on a factory class Savage .223, the other 36 is on a custom 6mmBR. Neither generates much recoil. I have a friend with one on a 25-06, and he has no complaint about the eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts