TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

Notched my elk tag a couple weeks back at 785 yards with one of if not my favorite LR killing bullets… a 300 grain Sierra Matchking. 😂 IMG_4384.jpeg

WOW! These are amazing results and illustrations of excellent hunting/marksmanship. Well done and color me jealous! I must say I am re-considering my bullet selection(s) for my in-process 7mm-300 Win Mag.

Thanks for the inspiration

Merry Christmas to all y'all!

My daughter has a PSA for everyone.

TARGET BULLETS CAN'T KILL ELK!

They definitely won't go through both shoulders and at least one rib…oh wait..

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

View attachment 524936
You should frame that photo, it is just amazing. Warmth, color, your daughter's smile, it brings a smile to my face. Congrats to her and you!!!

The difference between target bullets and hunting bullets is going to be jacket thickness. Where this can really come into play when used for alternative applications:

1) Using a target bullet for hunting can result in the bullet not expanding at too high or too low of a speed. This becomes more true at low speeds for some users. The jackets are thicker in target bullets because they are expected to be used in strings of fire. Meaning hot chambers, sometimes just sitting in hot chambers. The thicker jacket helps to better keep the lead core from deforming due to the heat causing an imbalance in flight. This would of course lead to groups opening up.

2) Using a hunting bullet for target shooting can result in the opposite. Where the jackets are often thinner in hunting bullets what can happen is the bullet is softened due to heat in the chamber. Especially with long strings or when holding for wind and the bullet gets heated up. This can cause jacket separation (bullets "exploding" in flight) but can also cause lead core deformation (lead core gets heated up and softens then changes shape when fired or even when sitting).

This is where some of this "don't use x for y" comes from. But may not always impact users. I for one use 185gr Juggernauts for hunting all the time. Especially in my 300 blackout which I hunt hogs and coyotes with here. Hopefully this helps.