Talk to me about the 260 AI

I am running a 26 inch Shilen Select Match, 1 in 8 twist..

I put a Legacy clip that gives me a little more room for bullet seating..It is also a single stack and that really helps with feeding..

47.3 gr IMR 4831 with Fed LR primers.. Powder was hard to come by when I had it built and IMR 4831 was about the only viable powder I could find.. Now that other powders are available I haven't looked because this load shoots GOOD..

No problems with fireforming..I shoot a light load of RE 17 with 123 Amaxes for that and even those shoot very well..

Lapua 260 brass and I can't seem to wear it out,so there is not all that much fireforming to do..

I already had a short action for the build so didn't consider a long action.

My brother also has a 260 Ack built on a Winchester short action shooting 143 ELDX's with no problems either..

My 260AI in action..

Click the pic,

Thanks and nice shooting! I was out last week with my 22-250 dusting clay pigeons at 600 yards. Nice looking rig you have. Im basically weighing the options if its worth my trouble for the extra velocity. I have the stuff already from my 6.5 creed and im loaded for 3 of them so I have extensive experience with it. I plan on using a 26in Criterion

Santiam338 is right.
It surprised me there wasn't a mass exodus back to 260AI when Lapua announced 260 brass.
Lapua is very good quality and has been a harder grade of cartridge brass in the past. Hopefully this is still true. And this is why people really get their money's worth from it.
Don't forget, your time is just the same as money.

Santiam338 is right.
It surprised me there wasn't a mass exodus back to 260AI when Lapua announced 260 brass.
Lapua is very good quality and has been a harder grade of cartridge brass in the past. Hopefully this is still true. And this is why people really get their money's worth from it.
Don't forget, your time is just the same as money.

That is very true my time might as well be money. Unfortunately things are a little tight for me right now. I was planning on having it all done by now but I had some things come up. Pretty much what I'm worried about is the OAL and the cost to set up for a new caliber. It definitely a very impressive round.

Sounds like your mind was made up before you asked the question..:D

As for why is Lapua better? Well I really don't know what makes it better..I just know that I have not had to cull any brass after multiple reloads..

With other brands of brass I have to start culling after a few reloads and the more I reload them,the more I cull out..

Pretty soon I have to buy new again..Like I said,I haven't been able to wear any Lapua out,but I am still trying..gun)

As for why is Lapua better? Well I really don't know what makes it better..I just know that I have not had to cull any brass after multiple reloads..

With other brands of brass I have to start culling after a few reloads and the more I reload them,the more I cull out..

Pretty soon I have to buy new again..Like I said,I haven't been able to wear any Lapua out,but I am still trying..gun)

Well first off i was only wanting to learn about the 260 AI. If i wasnt considering it I wouldnt have asked. I didnt get much response from other 260 AI guys so I went searching on my own and it appears for the barrel length im wanting to use 2950 is about the average with a 140. Im sure i could probably beat that. The Savage SA appears to be longer than a normal SA so I can probably get away with it.

How long is the mag on the savage SA? I would not build a 260AI on something I could not load to 2.900. The 260AI has more velocity than the 6.5 creedmore on average but the creedmore is great in a short action.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
My Savage SA mags are right at 3.010".

I modified my one for my 6AI by slightly squeezing the front of the sheet metal to seat 105 vlds longer but it turned out they like .052" jump the best.

How long is the mag on the savage SA? I would not build a 260AI on something I could not load to 2.900. The 260AI has more velocity than the 6.5 creedmore on average but the creedmore is great in a short action.

Bob

If you had measured wall or neck thickness variation, weighed for exreme spread, weight cases or weighed water volume ES there would be NO question as to what makes it better.

IMO its not just better it is Best.
And the brass composition, tough as nails.

Im running Lapua 260 brass in my LR260 ,theres NO indication that it wasnt loaded in a bolt action. No shell deflector dents, or bent necks from ejection.
Also, Im so impressed with the performance and precision out of a 260 Rem in a gas gun (2980fps 123gr Amax in 24" bbl) that my mind is made up, my next project WILL be 260AI . Probably a 26" for 140 VLDs or Hybrids.

Creedmore shooter, The Lapua brass is generally speaking of exceptional quality. I can't quantify that statement metallurgicallly but it definitely lasts longer and is more uniform. It's capacity is less than Remington but the velocity doesn't change.

Wearing out brass is not as much an issue with the 260 AI in point of fact the brass lasting is a benefit of the cartridge. I would use Lapua brass in everything I could and probably save money doing it long term.

I have some 260 lapua brass that's been fired 12+ times I stopped counting and I have not pitched one yet. If you anneal it will last longer yet.

Bob

Still working on load but I like my 260 AI
Lapua brass is the only way to go

Attachments

• 9BD81ED9-E187-4954-8980-2D0C9DB8C87D.jpeg
    9BD81ED9-E187-4954-8980-2D0C9DB8C87D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56