Tactical stocks?

bludwag

What are the advantages of a tactical rifle stock? Are there disadvantages? Are they better for accuracy?

What are the advantages of a tactical rifle stock? Are there disadvantages? Are they better for accuracy?

The main difference between tactical stocks and hunting stocks is that one is designed for carrying and the other for laying or sitting in the same position for extended periods of time.

Hunting stocks are typicaly lighter for carrying, streamlined to be less cumbersome in the brush and made to shoulder easily.

Tactical stocks are made ergonomicaly different so a shooter can sit or lay in the same position for hours need be and not get as fatiqued. Many have a lot of adjustable features such as the recoil pad and cheek peice. These accessories makes them much heavier. They are also built more stout as weight isnt a problem. A LE officer or sniper will carry them a short distance to a vantage point versus a hunter who will be carrying his tool for days and sometimes hours upon hours per day.

As far as accuracy, you will get alot of different answers, but my .02 cents is that weight reduces recoil. This makes the rifle a bit more forgiving. Anytime you can tame the beast, it becomes more forgiving. Also with this reduced recoil, it makes the shooter more accurate by not letting them be as intimidated by the recoil. Also a heavier rifle is a more stable rifle. It is prone to less movment by heartbeats, wind, a less desirable shooting position and other factors. A tactical shooter should be in a perfect position to begin with but the situation may change and he may be forced into a less than perfect position.

Bottom line is that if you will carry your rig on a ATV or vehicle most of the time and only hike a short distance to your favoraite knob, a tactical style stock may work a wee bit better. If you will be doing alot of carrying either for still hunting or just getting to your favoraite area, you may do better with a hunting stock. The key to a good stock is the materials it is made from AND a quality bedding job. For just plain old accuracy taking the shooter out of the equasion, a hunting stock of good quality and installation can be just as accurate as a tactical stock.

Last edited:
Well, I currently only own hunting stocks with the exception of hs precision stocks that are really more of hunting stocks anyway. I do have a stock on order from Joel Russo, an A-5L with the thumb wheel adjustable cheek peice. When I get it and start shooting with it I will be more than happy to let you know if there is any difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.