• MacMillan

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • H&S Precision

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Manners

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

Iron Worker

I have a semi custom Win Mod 70 CRF in 7mm WSM 26" Brux bbl #4 contour. I want a vertical grip tactical stock. Narrowed it down to 3: Macmillan ,Manners or H&S Precision . What say yee ?

Comfort mainly. The Manners is just as strong but not as comfortable to me. They feel like a 2x4 bolted to my rifle, functional but not as comfortable. When I received my Manners T-5, there were several areas of the stock that were not true to one another.... just didn't seem to be of the same quality.

Like I said, I have more Manners than McMillans however, I still prefer McMillan.

t

If youdon't have anything against laminates, the Bobby Hart long range tactical ( without the aluminum bedding block ) is a really nice stock. I own 3 of them and recommend them to the people I build rifles for. They come in different colors and the fit and finish is a 99 out of 100 and a good value for the money. Stockys sells them.
Tarey

I have McMillan A-5 and I do feel comfortable and fit right with my hands. CONS, it is a bit heavy even though I shoot prone most of the time.

Manners is also the best choice. Nice design but I never try to hold it.

I've had 2 McMillans. One from nearly 30 years ago and another this year. Good stocks, but if you're in a hurry I'd look at the others. Regardless of what they say, it will take 6 months.

I voted H-S. That is the only stock I've shot of your three choices. I find it quite comfortable and is built with plenty of barrel float. Built with an aluminum bedding block. No bedding needed

Tank

McMillan A5 all the way. Fit and finish is perfect. Manners could not inlet a stock correctly if their lives depended on it. I have ordered 5 Manners stocks for customers and not one was inletted corectly. McMillan from here on out.

Regards,
Paul

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into your thinking.

There is a tacticool factor associated with the tactical stocks that draws a lot of people to them. They are great for what they are designed to be too.

However, unless you are planning solely to shoot them from a bench or prone you will find them a PITA in the field.

The McMillan A-3 hunter is a great compromise vs going "full tactical" as is the precision stock works (made for them by McMillan and I'd encourage you to look at both unless like I said you are strictly planning to shoot from the prone or bench.

I have five HS precisions I like very well too. The Manners I have tried I had a similar feeling of as the above poster, felt like I was snuggling up to a piece of railroad iron or a 4x4.

Gotta love McMillans. The Gamescout is also a good choice for more of a hunting rifle. It has the vertical grip but slimmer forend. I was going to go with one but decided on a heavier barrel and had to step up to an A3 with a wider front.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.