tactical 458 lot or 458 win mag build

deepsix

Hello , I'm new to the forum not new to long range shooting .

I have a question for you gents , specifically those who have experience with dangerous game rifles and calibers

I have a rem 700 ( blueprinted ) rifle in 300 win mag , I was wondering if it was possible to chamber it in 458 lot . the case heads are the same so it should just be a barrel swap

but here is my second question : is it possible to feed 458 win mag from a detachable aics box magazine ? is it too long to feed properly ?

the rifle in question is pictured below

I appreciate every ones input

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 363
Yes, you can chamber a new barrel to be the .458 Lott.

Yes, you can feed the .458 Win. Mag. from a DBM. It's no different than running the .300 Win. Mag. from a DBM. The .458 has a 2.500" case length with a loaded length of 3.340".

What abot 458 lot , I saw some where its loaded length is 3.6 . You think the geomitry of that round would prevent smooth chambering ?
Yes, you can chamber a new barrel to be the .458 Lott.

Yes, you can feed the .458 Win. Mag. from a DBM. It's no different than running the .300 Win. Mag. from a DBM. The .458 has a 2.500" case length with a loaded length of 3.340".
hat

Usually when a gunsmith re-barrels an action, the new cartridge decision is made knowing that there may be some adjusments made to the feed rails and the feed ramp. This is certainly true when it comes to making a .458 Lott from a .300 Win. Mag. The Remington will handle the .375 H&H where that cartridge length is 3.600" as well.

Usually when a gunsmith re-barrels an action, the new cartridge decision is made knowing that there may be some adjusments made to the feed rails and the feed ramp. This is certainly true when it comes to making a .458 Lott from a .300 Win. Mag. The Remington will handle the .375 H&H where that cartridge length is 3.600" as well.
thanks I didn't think about the feed ramp

I had a 458 Lott years ago on a 700 action and the mag box had to have the top part flattened to feed but nothing else needed to be done and it worked great,400 grain Barnes spitzer boat tails at 2600 fps if I remember correctly and 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards.even with a brake on it recoil was brutal off a bench but I loved that round

I had a 458 Lott years ago on a 700 action and the mag box had to have the top part flattened to feed but nothing else needed to be done and it worked great,400 grain Barnes spitzer boat tails at 2600 fps if I remember correctly and 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards.even with a brake on it recoil was brutal off a bench but I loved that round
Thanks for the input , no other modifications other than the magizine ya ?

feed rails and ramp needed nothing done to them other than a normal polish on the feed ramp,muzzle brake a must with heavy loads and the best recoil pad you can find.I was very happy with this gun and used it to shoot a few deer with it just for the heck of it.

feed rails and ramp needed nothing done to them other than a normal polish on the feed ramp,muzzle brake a must with heavy loads and the best recoil pad you can find.I was very happy with this gun and used it to shoot a few deer with it just for the heck of it.

This is true. Its a standered action after all. Not to mention the .300 win mag .458 win mag and the .458 Lott are based off the .375 H&H cartridge. The .458 Lott is the only one that share the same oal.

To the OP you will be fine with either the .458 win mag or the .458 Lott.

This is true. Its a standered action after all. Not to mention the .300 win mag .458 win mag and the .458 Lott are based off the .375 H&H cartridge. The .458 Lott is the only one that share the same oal.

Ok thanks guys

Thanks mang

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.