Tac15i accuracy and consistancy problems

hey jon
took your advice and shipped bow back again,they have it and will be calling me with what they find.keep you posted
thank
ron

Hi Ron,
Good move, just remember to insist they thoroughly test everything numerous times before they return it.

Jon

I have had inconsistent grouping with my TAC 15 since I bought it. I bought mine the first year they came out and I could never get it to hold a consistent point of impact. Some of my groups were good but seemed to shift...usually side to side. I followed all the advice from the posts on this site and crossbownation and thought I had everything set. The other day I noticed that my timing was slightly off on the cams according to the static hash marks. Then I was curious so I cranked the xbow to full draw and noticed it was out of time at full draw. I took it to a local PSE dealer who doesnt have specific experience with the TAC 15 but works on PSE bows. He tried to put the xbow in time by taking up slack etc with the cables but could not fix the problem. I noticed when he cranked the bow it sometime made a cracking sound and I have heard it sometimes too when shooting the bow but, not all the time. The Dealer called PSE and they said the string must be the problem so I am waiting for the dealer to install a new string and see if that solves the timing issue. Also, having them check the limbs for cracking. Anyone else have a timing problem?
j

Hi jbmm,
The main string on the PSE TAC15/15i is not easy to adjust correctly and needs to be done by somebody who has both the knowledge and experience to do this correctly. Improper adjustment can cause timing problems or Cam Lean problems.

I can not recommend the steps on how to correctly go about doing this because even with all the modifications and adjustments I've performed on my own and other TAC15 crossbows, I don't have the experience in this area necessary to advise others on how to best do this.

I do know that some of our other members such as Super 91 and Okiebowie have much more knowledge and experience than I do in this area, so possibly they have some advice.

That said, I would suggest you not allow an inexperienced dealer touch your string and cables, since I'm aware that string twisting is necessary to obtain the correct timing and performance. The inward and outward cables are not twisted, but I think your main crossbow string is.

Regards,

Jon

Jon,
I appreciate the feedback. I will follow up with the dealer... they are waiting on a new string from PSE. I may call PSE myself and find out the timing procedure.
Thanks,
j

Hi jbmm411,
If you are able to get a good set of clear instructions on how to best adjust the timing of the Cams on the TAC15/15i's maybe you could put some instructions together and share them with our members?

that would be a useful piece of documentation that I haven't seen published anywhere yet.

Regards,

Jon

I just got off the phone with PSE. They were very helpful and informative...here are the answers I received:

Q: How do you time the TAC 15?
A: The same as a standard compound bow by Twisting/Untwisting the buss cables connected to each cam to tune each cam separately.

Q: Is the string adjusted in the process of timing the cams?
A: No.

Q: I have had inconsistency in windage since I have owned the bow. Would timing affect windage consistency?
A: Yes. Timing will throw the shots off left to right.

Q: I have heard a cracking sound when bringing the crossbow to full draw. Is this sound normal? Is there some lubrication requirement for the limbs?
A: No. The sound is not normal. No. There is no lubrication requirement for the limbs.

Q: Since I'm hearing this cracking sound sometimes, should the dealer order new limbs and replace my old ones.
A: Yes. PSE will replace the limbs under warranty. Also, a cracked limb will also affect accuracy.

Q: The dealer has ordered a replacement string from PSE already. Should he replace the buss cables also since I am going to have the limbs replaced?
A: No, the buss cables should be ok. Once he replaces the limbs and string the crossbow should be able to be timed properly and should shoot consistently.

I hope this info helps you guys.

I do know that some of our other members such as Super 91 and Okiebowie have much more knowledge and experience than I do in this area, so possibly they have some advice.
No, you got it right with your opening statement (repeated below) with emphasis on a major concern.

The main string on the PSE TAC15/15i is not easy to adjust correctly and needs to be done by somebody who has both the knowledge and experience to do this correctly. Improper adjustment can cause timing problems or Cam Lean problems.

As a warning, adding twists to (or removing twists from) the yoke cables that connect to the cam's axles will effect the TAC-15/0's speed.

I have had great success 2" groups @ 80 yards and great disapoinment with my tac15i i have changed scopes put an hha optimizer a bubble level on the scope to help improve my consistencey to no avail. I missed a deer at 60 yards today which was biggest disappointment thus far . i shot my tac at various ranges last week averaging 20-50 yards my consitency was marginal to say the least i am at a complete loss and throughly frustrated . i fall in the same catagorey as every one else some groups are excellent one day and some are marginal . I think that i may be asking to much of this crossbow but i have invested to much money to throw it in the closet and more time than i care to mention? is there any one who has a solution to this problem with out dumping more money in it ?

... i shot my tac at various ranges last week averaging 20-50 yards my consitency was marginal to say the least ...
Can you elaborate on what the consistency problems were? Questions to consider.
Q: Did the arrows randomly hit further left or hit further right or alternate left and right than the point of aim?
Q: Did the arrows randomly hit higher or hit lower or alternate higher and lower than the point of aim?
Q: Did the arrows randomly hit all over the place, no pattern left/right/up/down?
Q: Did you notice any pattern with regard to individual arrows?

Hi purvis6,
Along with answering Okiebowie question (which are very relevant), can you tell me if you're still shooting with the original Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest and also what work , if any has been done as far as aligning your arrow nocks to the stiff side of each arrows spine?

It's Ok if the answer is "No or None" to both of these questions, but I would need a little more detail about these things before I can narrow down the likely cause of your problem. The initial description is very broad based and could apply to a multitude of causes.

Don't let frustration get the better of you, since many people have been in the same boat you're in now. In almost all cases, with just a little help, they've corrected these problems and achieved the results you're looking for.

Arrow Spine Tuning Questions?
1. Has any spine sorting work been performed on your arrows?
2. Are you using standard PSE TAC15 arrows or Aerobolt II's?
3. What type of arrow nocks are on your arrows?
4. How where the stiff side of your arrow spines identified and marked?
5. Are your nocks indexed to the spine markings?
6. Are you experiencing grouping problems when shooting field points or
broadheads?

Arrow Rest Questions?
1. What Type of Arrow Rest is on your crossbow?
2. Approximately how many shots have been put through your arrow rest?
3. Have you applied any type of conditioner or lubricant to your arrow rest, if it's
a Whisker Biscuit"?

If you can answer these questions, it will give us a much clearer picture of some background information that will help us provide some direction on what to do next. Several of our current forum member have dealt with these types of problems, so many of them can chime in and add their suggestions once you provide this needed information.

Jon Henry

i shot my tac at various ranges last week averaging 20-50 yards my consitency was marginal to say the least i am at a complete loss and throughly frustrated . i fall in the same catagorey as every one else some groups are excellent one day and some are marginal .

Please don't take this the wrong way...

When you are seeing consistency problems, are you by chance shooting when there is a slight changing wind (or mild gusting wind)?

Keep in mind even bullets fired at 2,800 fps are effected by Wind (speed & direction), along with air temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure. Now take an arrow with lots of cross section area (unlike a small bullet) and flying at 400fps and you got the formula for near-hit, miss, and miss by a lot. If I remember correctly, a TAC-15 owner (perhaps it was Len Backus) reported his arrows hit high at higher elevations.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.