SWFA SS Scope for hunting?

My ss 5-20x50 spent a few years on one of my 338 NM,took a bull elk at just under 600 and a bull moose and muley last year,been good on my 257 now

i never heard of those burris zee rings. There nifty but i dont know if I trust them. I have to do some internet searching to find out more about them. seem like a good idea but what is better. Havung the rings lapped or getig burris zee rings?

Rob

i never heard of those burris zee rings. There nifty but i dont know if I trust them. I have to do some internet searching to find out more about them. seem like a good idea but what is better. Havung the rings lapped or getig burris zee rings?

Rob

I have a set on a 16" barreled rifle that sends 750 grain bullets around 1700 fps, I have sent several hundred rounds through it. When I run them that fast it is one of the worst recoiling rifles I have ever shot. The 6x SS in Zee rings has held up nicely.
Either a good set of lapped rings or the zee rings will serve you well. The difference is that you can add quite a bit of MOA into the zee rings via the inserts. Out to your 500 yard hunting expectations you won't need extra MOA with a 30-06 and a SS scope, those scopes have a large adjustment range. However, if you are wanting to stretch it out to your 1200 yard target range then you may need some help. This can come in the form of a base with some MOA built in, some rings like the zee that add MOA, or maybe both (but I doubt that).

Rob

I have a set on a 16" barreled rifle that sends 750 grain bullets around 1700 fps, I have sent several hundred rounds through it. When I run them that fast it is one of the worst recoiling rifles I have ever shot. The 6x SS in Zee rings has held up nicely.
Either a good set of lapped rings or the zee rings will serve you well. The difference is that you can add quite a bit of MOA into the zee rings via the inserts. Out to your 500 yard hunting expectations you won't need extra MOA with a 30-06 and a SS scope, those scopes have a large adjustment range. However, if you are wanting to stretch it out to your 1200 yard target range then you may need some help. This can come in the form of a base with some MOA built in, some rings like the zee that add MOA, or maybe both (but I doubt that).

+1!

In addition to Bravo 4's rifle launching a mini Volkswagon :D , I have 2 .300 Win Mags, .300 WSM, .338 Win Mag, and .270 AI with Burris signature zee rings, also with with hundreds of rounds through without any issues. My .270 AI is closest in case capacity to your .30-06 is pushing the 175 Matrix at 3000+ FPS.

From an optics SME ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Thats some great advice. The 20moa rail and burris zee rings with the swfa ss scope sounds awsome. That is the route im gonna go it sounds perfect. Any good 20 moa rails?

Thanks
Rob

i havnt done a bed job yet but when I get some free time soob i will. I also have to fill the front of the stock bc the ruger americans stocks are not solid. I watched a video on it and the guy said something about the new ruger americans have a bar in them to make it solid. I could try to get one from ruger but i think ill just fill it with something. I dont know what to fill it with yet bc there a few different things people use and I havnt looked into what is best to use. Im up for any advice on that as well sinse Im learning..

When the swfa ss scopes come new out of the box is everything in the scope centered or will i have to double check it and center it myself?

Thanks

Rob

i havnt done a bed job yet but when I get some free time soob i will. I also have to fill the front of the stock bc the ruger americans stocks are not solid. I watched a video on it and the guy said something about the new ruger americans have a bar in them to make it solid. I could try to get one from ruger but i think ill just fill it with something. I dont know what to fill it with yet bc there a few different things people use and I havnt looked into what is best to use. Im up for any advice on that as well sinse Im learning..

When the swfa ss scopes come new out of the box is everything in the scope centered or will i have to double check it and center it myself?

Thanks

Rob

Slow down and enjoy the learning process, one issue at time! When I said to bed it, I was referring to the rail not the stock -- the stock would be another project and would not affect this. There are plenty of videos out like this one ...

Always check scope setting regardless!

Last edited by a moderator:
with the 20 moa base being a picitanny rail is that a pretty soild set up? There is no movement between the scope rings and the picitanny base? To me picitanny is for quick disconnect of attachment but I dont know if it is a solid set up for a long range rifle where percision counts. Am I right on that or is the picitanny set out strong and provides a nice solid set up? I like the idea of the 20 moa base but I dont know about the picitanny. Is there a strong base that add 20moa but still have a solid mount system such as the twist and lock mounts?

Thanks
Rob

with the 20 moa base being a picitanny rail is that a pretty soild set up? There is no movement between the scope rings and the picitanny base? To me picitanny is for quick disconnect of attachment but I dont know if it is a solid set up for a long range rifle where percision counts. Am I right on that or is the picitanny set out strong and provides a nice solid set up? I like the idea of the 20 moa base but I dont know about the picitanny. Is there a strong base that add 20moa but still have a solid mount system such as the twist and lock mounts?

Thanks
Rob

We've provided you IMHO a very strong and sound advice thus far but you have to make your own decision. I for one will NEVER give such a recommendation if I have not done so myself. I assure you it can withstand the recoil of your .30-06.

Post #12 is a .300 WSM and post 19 is a .300 Win Mag and both have EGW 20 MOA HD rail. If you think and feel the need to have stronger than being recommended by all means get a SS or titanium (MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.)

We've provided you IMHO a very strong and sound advice thus far but you have to make your own decision. I for one will NEVER give such a recommendation if I have not done so myself. I assure you it can withstand the recoil of your .30-06.

Post #12 is a .300 WSM and post 19 is a .300 Win Mag and both have EGW 20 MOA HD rail. If you think and feel the need to have stronger than being recommended by all means get a SS or titanium (MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.)

+1, Feenix and many others provided excellent advice...EGW rail, Burris Z rings (night force, badger ordinance, seekins, etc...), bedding, then correct torque specs and you're good to go. It will be a SOLID and RELIABLE set up. No doubt about it.

Thanks
Rob
I run alum. pic rails I have no problems,one on a 340 max loads 250 gr.2 rails are steel built on custom action,oversized screws and pinned nothing can move.The rings I like are NF ultra light with titanium cross bar,each ring has bar that rest against rail,load them up that way when mounting.I also have mark 4,Seeking rings.They take 50-55 inch #'s at nut,they hold great but can be quick switched if problem.Almost all mine are pic rail.One is 7-2 oz bare 338 NM,another one heavier norma.Lots military run rails. My level and ACI are on my rail also

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.