Swaro Z-3 glass vs Z-5

bob4

Z-3 3x10x42 and a Z-5 3.5x18x44
I own both and am considering upgrading my Z-3 as I seem to like the Z-5 better.Was wondering if anyone could tell me if the glass is of better quality in a Z-5? Then has the Z-6 have better glass than that ?
I like to move onto a quality scope with a 30MM tube (or better) and a 50MM objective.
So that kinda of limits my Swaros choices as my out the door top would be $2,000.
Dusk and dawn deer hunting are a priority.
Thanks for any input.

I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but several Swaro dealers have told me that the quality of the glass in the Z3, Z5, & Z6 are basically the same. The main difference is the erector assembly in the adjustments is a leaf spring in the Z3, but the Z5 and Z6 have 4 coil springs. The Z3 and Z5 are 1 inch tubes, and the Z6 are 30mm tubes.

The 30mm tube will allow more light in but how much of a difference that I am not sure. I have dealt with a gunsmith that told me he finds the Z5 brighter than the Z6. I have not looked through a Z6 so I do not know. I do have a Z5 and a Z3 but have not tried to make a comparison. I use the Z5 as it is a 5x25 which I use for deer hunting to try and judge deer size in low light on my 308. The Z3 is on my 300 WM which is a 4x12 for quick shooting. No parallax adjustment when I have the opportunity to go elk hunting. Want to be able to make a quick shot if possible at semi long range.

bob4,

I purchased four z5 5-25X52. It is a crap shoot whether you get one that is good in low light or not. The last one is extremely good in low light. The first one was pretty good. Scope number two and three were not nearly as good as a Bushnell 4200. The z5 has a 1" tube. They are really light for their size at 18 ounces.

If you buy one, you certainly should get one from a store where you can return it for a full refund before you mount it.

jaybo,

The scope tube has absolutely no baring on how much light gets to your eye. It is solely a matter of the objective size and how good the glass and coatings are. I have 1", 30mm and 34mm scopes. The z5 with its 1" tube lasts as long in low light as the 34mm scope does. Both have 52mm objective lenses.

Thanks for the replys guys,been helpful.
It is a crap shoot whether you get one that is good in low light or not.
That's a scary thought when you're thinking you're buying a quality scope.

I have a z5 and a z6 there is no difference in light transmission.
30mm tubes do not allow more light. Swarovski makes both, and charges more for the 30mm than the 1". go on their web site if it were true they would tell you so they could up sell you.

The 30mm tube will allow more light in but how much of a difference that I am not sure. I have dealt with a gunsmith that told me he finds the Z5 brighter than the Z6. I have not looked through a Z6 so I do not know. I do have a Z5 and a Z3 but have not tried to make a comparison. I use the Z5 as it is a 5x25 which I use for deer hunting to try and judge deer size in low light on my 308. The Z3 is on my 300 WM which is a 4x12 for quick shooting. No parallax adjustment when I have the opportunity to go elk hunting. Want to be able to make a quick shot if possible at semi long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts