Suppressors: direct thread vs. qd mounts for hunting

seawolfxix

I'm finally jumping into the NFA game, but who knew there were so many suppressor options?

Right now I'm deciding between the SilencerCo Omega 300 and the TBAC Ultra 7. My primary application will be hunting, and my first threaded barrel is on a Browning X-Bolt Pro 6.5 Creedmoor. If the X-Bolt was my only gun, then I'd probably lean toward the Ultra 7, but I also have a SCAR 17, which is probably better suited for the Omega.

Either way, I need to figure out how to mount this thing on my X-Bolt. Browning/Miroku decided to offer this gun with an M13 x 1.25 thread, and neither SilencerCo nor TBAC offers a QD device for this size. Therefore, I think I will need an adapter like this: http://www.thesilencerstore.com/ind...&products_id=131&zenid=WOeYkwHIAp6n9gM6Ph6dV3

Assuming this is true, how should I plan to mount the suppressor on the thread adapter? DT or QD?

The Omega 300 appears to include adapters for both options, so the conversion is easy.

The Ultra 7, however, requires you to choose "DT" or "CB" (i.e. QD) at the time of purchase, and the conversion is "factory serviceable."

I wish I had hands on experience to help you, but I'm days/weeks/months away from getting mine out of jail.
But in response to the DT/QD issue. It was my understanding with Thunderbeast Arms that a CB brake is better with POI shift.
But hopefully thru this thread, someone can explain if QD and CB is the same thing. It is my understanding that a CB is just a compact brake that the suppressor thread onto. So in essence, it is a DT once the CB is installed.

I would plan on using the direct thread suppressor on the bolt rifle and Handi-Rifle. I would then use the QD suppressor for the AR10 & AR15 pistols. The Trash Panda comes with both a 1/2" & 5/8" adapter, so I think you would need to buy one more 5/8" adapter.

The HK91 is going to be the odd man out, being M15x1 threads. I'd check to see if they offer a QD mount in this thread pitch, but it looks like they might only be available in 1/2"x28 & 5/8"x24 at the moment. Another option to possibly consider is having it cut and rethreaded for 5/8"x24, or having a custom QD or thread adapter machined to fit.

This is just my opinion, but I think it solves 5 out of 6 firearms fairly easily. Now you just have to figure out what to do with the HK...

i have a 30 cal direct thread i use on 308 and 6.5 creed. it mostly stays on the 308 because it's a bolt gun. the 6.5 is an LR308 platform and it's still quite loud. i plan on getting a 556 QD can for all my AR's to swap between them. i have an AR pistol that i'd like to get a pin/weld suppressor for one day.

TBACs CB mount is a taper thread on unlike a lot of qd supressor mounts. Griffin does this as well. Taper mount lockups are considered at least equal in performance to direct thread mounts both of which are often touted as better for repeat ability and precision than more general quick detach systems.

I have even seen zak from TBAC say they suggest their CB mount for precision rifles over direct thread.

Since neither offern a qd mound in the metric size, I would look at permanently adapting the xbolt to 5/8x24 and using a direct thread for both it and the scar. Although calling tbac or silencerco and asking them their opinions is probably the best idea vs all our opinions.

Either way you will have to thread all your barrels. All mine are direct thread. 1/2 inch and 5/8. I believe it is more secure. The accuracy of taking it off and on is nonexistent. TBAC is the cadillac of suppressors. They also have {in my opinion} the best costumer service in the industry.

I have several tbac suppressors. I just used blue loktite to put a qd brake in them, making them direct thread. To me that's better than having to put a brake on every rifle.

I have a .30 cal can that I run on 4 different guns. Initially I thought the QD mount was the best way to go. Now that I've owned one and have seen the issues associated with QD mounts, especially the AAC QD mounts, there is no way I'll ever buy another QD mount suppressor. Having said that, not all QD mounts are made equal, and the AAC 51T is probably one of the worse. In reality though, it really doesn't take that much longer to thread on a suppressor versus a QD though.

We do QD mounts on everything possible. The big guns need a brake anyway. You can use either a flash hider or a muzzle brake style. It slick and fast to change when you want to use it on different rifles at the same time. The YHM QD mounts are super nice and well machined.

I direct thread my SilencerCo Omega onto 2 precision rifles. First I don't find it too much of a pain to screw the can on or off. And secondly I find this method to give very repeatable results. Yes there's a slight change of POI for suppressed use versus non-suppressed use but these two rifles are always shot suppressed and removing and then reinstalling the suppressor does not shift POI.

I direct thread as well. I didn't want to have to buy 4 adapters at 80 bucks a piece. I've had no problems with direct thread at all and with the exception of running ar rifles suppressed I throughly enjoy The suppressor. The DI gas system just to dirty to fast for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.