Suppressor on mountain rifle

Hi guys, I have 4 rifles fitted with suppressors. More hunters than ever are hunting with short barreled rifles (<20"). Short barrel + suppressor in my experience make hunting/shooting just that bit more enjoyable.
I run local New Zealand made over barrel type suppressors - 2 x Hardy Gen V's and 2 x DPT suppressors. The Hardy suppressors are on a 223 and a 308, 20" & 16" barrels respectively. The 2 DPT's are on another short 308 Bergara takedown 16.5" and a 21" 7mm rem mag.
Sorry for the long winded comments.

Just workout more.

This is going on a 30" barrel and it will be used for hunting.

IMG_0644.jpeg

It's always interesting reading other's perspectives. I was in the no suppressor camp for decades. I seemed to look for reasons to justify my situation. I don't like heavy rifles (10+ pounds) for hunting. All I can tell you is running suppressed has changed my shooting experience dramatically. There are situations where a 7" suppressor becomes a bit cumbersome, but if you plan your setup appropriately it is a non-issue. The pro's outweigh the con's by a wide margin running suppressed. Blast mitigation and sound suppression just trump a few FPS improvement. I sure wish I had not been a stubborn shooter looking for ways to justify not using a suppressor. I would pay a lot of money to stop the constant ringing in my ears.

This may be a stupid question, and I apologize in advance if it is, but does POI typically change between suppressed and not?

The reason I ask is that I've wondered if it was feasible to carry the suppressor in my backpack and just screw it on when a longer range shot presents itself? Could a person still take a shorter range shot without it, if time didn't permit getting the suppressor on?

With my 338 having a 30" barrel, carrying it mounted may not be ideal.

Still on the same fence as the OP and trying to learn...

Sheepshape
Does the muzzle brake at the end of the suppressor work very well ? Does the muzzle brake help you spot your shots ? What type of suppress is it ? How long is it ?

Hal

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, and I apologize in advance if it is, but does POI typically change between suppressed and not?

The reason I ask is that I've wondered if it was feasible to carry the suppressor in my backpack and just screw it on when a longer range shot presents itself? Could a person still take a shorter range shot without it, if time didn't permit getting the suppressor on?

My POI shift is minimal with my suppressor at reasonably short range. Maybe it is due to a relatively stiff barrel and reasonably light suppressor. Most of the traveling quick shots will be well within the kill zone if they are presented to me. Your results may vary, but I would assume you could test to determine the POI shift. It should be consistent.

Shortening a barrel always reduces preformance, when shooting in matches for 20 shot strings you can watch other shooters preformance in the wind and compair cartridges and rifle combinations when a speed up in the wind happens or a let off or the dreaded switch. the ar15 is used more than any other rifle now in high power and its easy to see the difference between a service rifle with a 20 inch barrel and a 24 inch barrel on a match rifle when shooting in the wind. I shoot a 260 and at the 600 yd line the wind moves me about half as much as a service rifle. the wind is not static every shot at 600 needs to be evaluated, it is a very rare day when you never have to change your windage from shot to shot. If a person wants to learn the wind that doesn't happen with a handfull of shots after a person has shot 10 matches he may start to become proficient with reading the wind which is your enemy for long range shooting whether shooting paper or animals. 10 matches is around 1000 shots which for high capacity cartridges is time for a new barrel so to take a 300 magnum and reduce it to a 308 by cutting the barrel off is a huge waste of potential if you leave the barrel long you get the advantages of less wind drift and better trajectory and there is no replacement for trigger time to become proficient at shooting. a person would be way better off shooting a 308 with 28 inches of barrel and getting 4 or 5 thousand rounds of barrel life. nobody will be good at reading wind and shooting in field positions without shooting lots of rounds down range. shooting in field positions is neglected, go to a range it is unlikely you will see anybody shooting any position accept off the bench which has nothing to do with hunting so will not train you in any helpfull manner
While I agree with all of this information, it has no bearing on a short, light mountain rifle.

It has on the rifles I had sighted in prior to receiving the suppressors. By about .4 to .8MIL.
I have several rifles that will never see a shot go down the barrel without a suppressor attached.
As for "performance", I never go with raw speed as my defining criteria. Fornlong range, I need the most accurate load the rifle will shoot. If that happens to be at the top end, fantastic. If it is 100fps or more off max, but shoots in the .2s vs .7s, give me the small group every time. There is a BIG difference between a 2" capable rifle @ 1000 vs a 7" in the same conditions. 100fps is not that big of a deal compared to the accuracy potention. To me, THAT is where "performance" is key.

All that being said, I only have one 20" barrel vs seven 26" barrels. Four 22" and three 24" in between.

I have a 20" and a 26" in the exact same chambering, 6.5SS. 118 to 125fps difference with the exact same load tested numerous times with various loads. But they are not set up to shoot the same loads now. 26" shoots a 26gr heavier bullet (156 Elite @ 3036fps) at only 40fps less velocity than the 20" (130 OTM @ 3076fps). The 20" shoots the exact same 156 load at 2916fps. And vice versa, the 26" shoots the 130 OTM load at 3195fps. Neither of these loads are near max either. Just where they shoot best. Both are around 80fps below max using stable powders. I could step on the gas w. RL26 in both and gain another 100+fps, but again, I want "performance". Which to me is temp stability across 100°+ of possible hunting/shooting temperatures. The cool burning, and clean burning are an added bonus.

Hi guys, I have 4 rifles fitted with suppressors. More hunters than ever are hunting with short barreled rifles (<20"). Short barrel + suppressor in my experience make hunting/shooting just that bit more enjoyable.
I run local New Zealand made over barrel type suppressors - 2 x Hardy Gen V's and 2 x DPT suppressors. The Hardy suppressors are on a 223 and a 308, 20" & 16" barrels respectively. The 2 DPT's are on another short 308 Bergara takedown 16.5" and a 21" 7mm rem mag.
That over the barrel suppressor looks interesting and may be very beneficial for the longer barrel.
Does anyone know if suppressors can be imported? My guess is no, but that Hardy looks interesting.
Is there anyone stateside making an over the barrel suppressor?

Kiwi do over the barrel suppressors work better than the other type of suppressors ? Which type do you like better ?

Hal