suppressed 284 win or 270 wsm barrel length??

bjork

so i have a mcmillan thumbhole for a 700 la with a sendero inlet and will get either a bighorn origin or arc nucleus long action. i have a sandman ti that i'd like to use on this rifle. i'm looking at 7, 7.5, 8, 9 twist .277 barels and 8, 8.5, 9 twist .284 barrels. i'd like to preserve the ability to run heavier bullets, though the lighter barnes will be my primary for deer at reasonable distances.

i'd like to stick to 284 win and 270 wsm chambers. i have brass, dies, powder (rl 15, rl17, rl26- could pick up some rl16 for the lighter rounds), piles of ttsx and tsx bullets for both (along w/ some sciroccos).

what's the shortest barrel length i should consider for each of these chambers, running suppressed? or say f'it and go with a 24" inch fast twist 270 wsm sendero. i'm in pa - so no co hills to navigate. i'm more concerned with how the rifle handles than what it weighs.

i should note i have a 24" 284 win la and 25" 6.5x55 ackley as well. neither are threaded. i might consider cutting back and threading the 284 win, but not the swede. tough to mess with either as they're quite nice as they are now.

happy new year!

Last edited:
Currently have 18" barreled 30-06, 18" 6.5 lapua and 19" 6.5 lapua. I'd maybe bump it to 20" for a 270 wsm. Sure are nice suppressed and total length 24-25". To each their own of course, but shorter is better in my experience with suppressors. Mine is a UL7.

8 twisted 284 shooting heavies would be fun.

i've ordered a arc nucleus short action w/ mag bolt face. i think i might try to snag a manners eh6a to keep a good cheek weld w/ the action's rail height along with the can on the end of the barrel. i'll be going with the 270 wsm. i can get 7, 7.5, 8, and 9 twist .277 barrels. there's a number of heavies, 170 eol, 165 and 175 matrix, 145 eldx, 150 ablr, and i suspect other offerings are on the way. looks like 2.95 to 2.98 c.o.a.l. w/ drop mags. i expect i'll be looking to stay in the 140 to 165 range as far as the heavies due to mag length constraints. i also have a few thousand 110 tsx and 95 ttsx.

if i run an a 18 or 20 270 wsm and i'm running 110 to 165 grain rounds what twist should i look at va silent arsenal? would 8 be sufficient or go a little tigher? sounds like you'd suggest 7 or 7.5. i have plenty of rl17 for the 110s. what's the slowest powder you recommend with 18-20 inch barrels? a lot of the guys running 150 grainers and up are getting the best velocities w/ retumbo, h1000, rl26 etc. i kinda doubt i'll get a high enough burn percentage in the barrel lengths we're talking about. but of course, i've not done this before- so who knows. perhaps i'm just looking at using rl17 with a lower case fill?

i may cut back my current 284 win to 18". jmcmath, i don't think i have the stones to go w/16 :) one of my biggest concerns is the sight picture w/ the can. i'll have to mock something up to see where things stand if cut back to 18". i won't raise the scope height on this rifles...it shoulder perfectly, and i had to modify a few things to get it to where its at. in almost all circumstances i hunt at 6x or higher so it may not be a problem. like i said, will need to test this before deciding to do anything permanent.
my current 284 win attached below. before anyone comments, everything clears, i wouldn't change a thing.

Attachments

• 20200104_174521.jpg
    20200104_174521.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 39
You won't have an issue at 6x

I've once had an issue at 4x on a 24" barrel, I think it will be even less likely on a shorter barrel. Even that I could still use the scope fine, just had a touch of blurry black at the very bottom. That scope was down low low low. Don't be afraid of a shorty, my new 300 prc will be 20-21.

thanks. at these lengths, what barrel profiles should i be looking at? even a #4 sporter seems pretty stout at 18 inches. the carbon wrapped proof barrels aren't in the budget.

I'm doing a #4. .730@21 inches

don't gain much at all with a carbon barrel when it's this short

i've ordered a arc nucleus short action w/ mag bolt face. i think i might try to snag a manners eh6a to keep a good cheek weld w/ the action's rail height along with the can on the end of the barrel. i'll be going with the 270 wsm. i can get 7, 7.5, 8, and 9 twist .277 barrels. there's a number of heavies, 170 eol, 165 and 175 matrix, 145 eldx, 150 ablr, and i suspect other offerings are on the way. looks like 2.95 to 2.98 c.o.a.l. w/ drop mags. i expect i'll be looking to stay in the 140 to 165 range as far as the heavies due to mag length constraints. i also have a few thousand 110 tsx and 95 ttsx.

if i run an a 18 or 20 270 wsm and i'm running 110 to 165 grain rounds what twist should i look at va silent arsenal? would 8 be sufficient or go a little tigher? sounds like you'd suggest 7 or 7.5. i have plenty of rl17 for the 110s. what's the slowest powder you recommend with 18-20 inch barrels? a lot of the guys running 150 grainers and up are getting the best velocities w/ retumbo, h1000, rl26 etc. i kinda doubt i'll get a high enough burn percentage in the barrel lengths we're talking about. but of course, i've not done this before- so who knows. perhaps i'm just looking at using rl17 with a lower case fill?

i may cut back my current 284 win to 18". jmcmath, i don't think i have the stones to go w/16 :) one of my biggest concerns is the sight picture w/ the can. i'll have to mock something up to see where things stand if cut back to 18". i won't raise the scope height on this rifles...it shoulder perfectly, and i had to modify a few things to get it to where its at. in almost all circumstances i hunt at 6x or higher so it may not be a problem. like i said, will need to test this before deciding to do anything permanent.
my current 284 win attached below. before anyone comments, everything clears, i wouldn't change a thing.

We don't have much call for 270 WSM. I tailor clients to 6.5 with 140s to 160s. Nothing wrong with 270 WSM, we just wanted to have something different. Same reason for 7mm,325 WSM, and 416 WSM. We just didn't like bullet selection with 416 and our 458 WSM is way cooler with subsonic capabilities.

With that said, I have a few barrels where we tested 270 WSM. Our preferred load is the 145 ELDX. Stays together better than ABLR. As promised, at the bottom is a projection with the big Berger and one with our chrono'd 145gr load. We keep our loads 5kpsi under max. You could push the envelope more or we could do custom ammo for you. And don't be scared we arn't stupid with prices.

For Twist, 1-8 is sufficient even for the Berger. We do 1-6.5 and 1-7 for 6.5 WSM and the groups are nuts. For you going to 1-7 or 1-7.5, I would say do it. We have never had a fast twist rate jackup a bullet or accuracy and our 338 Federal has an insane twist rate. We don't publish that one yet.

20" Barrel - RL26, 63.2gr COAL 2.900", Burns it all. 170gr Berger should yield 2800 FPS if you have plenty of freebore.

20" Barrel 1-8" Twist - RL26, 67gr, COAL 2.850" AccurateMags DBM, Burns it all. 145gr ELDX chrono'd 3010 FPS

1st off, it's clear, i need more suppressors:) a .30 cal can is limiting my options.

hunter67wa, i'm feeling confident going shorter- if i cut back my 284 the longest it'll be is 20", and i'm now leaning towards 18" since it appears i'll soon have a 20" 270 wsm.

nice,
"20" Barrel 1-8" Twist - RL26, 67gr, COAL 2.850" AccurateMags DBM, Burns it all. 145gr ELDX chrono'd 3010 FPS" -va silent arsenal

the 338 fed, 338 wsm and 358 wsm look pretty sweet! particularly the 358 wsm. if i didn't have a stockpile of .277 projectiles i may have gone another route. at least w/ the nucleus action, i can swap barrels easily. 358 wsm here i come? lol.

if it wasn't for the pa game laws i'd look seriously at one of the 338s in an ar10 platform. i did sleeve, pin, and weld an ar15 fat-cat this year, but at 20" in length, suppressed, it's a tad long. for next year, i may sleeve my 16" 7.62x39 8 twist barrel and have hawk make me some nice heavies to run subsonic. if i get around to registering an sbr lower, i'll go with a shorter barrel.

1st off, it's clear, i need more suppressors:) a .30 cal can is limiting my options.

hunter67wa, i'm feeling confident going shorter- if i cut back my 284 the longest it'll be is 20", and i'm now leaning towards 18" since it appears i'll soon have a 20" 270 wsm.

nice,
"20" Barrel 1-8" Twist - RL26, 67gr, COAL 2.850" AccurateMags DBM, Burns it all. 145gr ELDX chrono'd 3010 FPS" -va silent arsenal

the 338 fed, 338 wsm and 358 wsm look pretty sweet! particularly the 358 wsm. if i didn't have a stockpile of .277 projectiles i may have gone another route. at least w/ the nucleus action, i can swap barrels easily. 358 wsm here i come? lol.

if it wasn't for the pa game laws i'd look seriously at one of the 338s in an ar10 platform. i did sleeve, pin, and weld an ar15 fat-cat this year, but at 20" in length, suppressed, it's a tad long. for next year, i may sleeve my 16" 7.62x39 8 twist barrel and have hawk make me some nice heavies to run subsonic. if i get around to registering an sbr lower, i'll go with a shorter barrel.

PA Game Commission........... I am a PA native, spent 5 days bear hunting up there this year. Main page of our site, that bolt action, 18" 358 WSM. Silencerco Hybrid. Love 250gr Partitions in that bad boy. Recoil feels less than 30-06.

We do remage barrels as well. That one stock set up is for 358, 375, 458. Takes about 10 minutes to swap and head space. All user friendly and we show clients how to do it, in person, FaceTime, or video. Could go to a shorter LOP and have barrels for all the calibers. Everything you see in an TXH-F10 goes into a bolt, what is the difference in the WSMs, just the barrel. :)

That 338 SS might be a great round for short barrel also! I have been cutting barrels shorter and shorter. Im struggling with my 6.5 Sherman build at 22" but am doing a 250 Savage at 17".

That 338 SS might be a great round for short barrel also! I have been cutting barrels shorter and shorter. Im struggling with my 6.5 Sherman build at 22" but am doing a 250 Savage at 17".

Well the surrounding support of a cartridge is what could make it better from one person to the next. Savy reloaders and companies like myself and Sherman could certainly change powders to work well with short barrels. That's what we did. We can't use a lot of powders that the super long mags can.

To you shortening the length of your Sherman and having troubles? What are your troubles?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts