Trail Blazed Hunter

Looking for an optic for long range hunting that won't break the bank (under $1000) but will also get the job done. Looking for something with exposed turrets, FFP, and a magnification somewhere in the 2-24 range, open to suggestions. Ideally something with a reticle that is a christmas tree style but nothing too busy, and clear enough to still find it on the lowest magnification. What is everyone's suggestions? Thanks!

For the money, a Sightron S-Tac is hard to beat if you don't need illumination. Comes in a variety of powers, reticles and FFP or SFP. Illumination is available for more money.

BTW, welcome to LRH!

Define a starter budget? Missed the 1000 with tired brain.

If you shop around (liberty optics sales) the burris xtr 3 3.3-18 can be had under 1k. I'm my opinion it's the best scope that squeaks in under 1k for ffp, and repeatable turrets. It's not gonna hang with zco or tt, but it does punch closer to the 15-1800 dollar scopes.

Last edited:
To me, this is pretty simple. There are a number of decent optics makers under $1000 or under $500.
Vortex, Athlon, Arken, Sightron, etc.
That said, you get what you pay for. You buy a $200 long range scope and it will not be very effective mechanically likely. Over $500, I think you could get something that will take you a ways.

The key is to get your hands on it.
Is it FFP? Can you work with the reticle? Really think about this? There are some reticles with bizarre scales, business and odd zones that are not really usable looking at normal dope! There are also reticles that disappear at 3-5x. There are full illuminations and center dot only illuminations. I guess my point is really study the reticle with realistic shots. Will it work?

For example, (270 Winchester w/ 140 SST) Nightforce has a Mil-XT reticle at 1 mil drop(300 yards), you can have up to 3 mils wind. 3 mils wind is about 60 mph…..Do I really need the tree to fill up that much of the view?….or is 30 mph plenty of wind hold? The tree is 12 mil tall. That gets me to 1200 yds. I think I'd much rather dial past 700 yds. What is this excess causing? Excess lines blocking my view and no thick part to the plex for low power aiming. To someone that reticle is great. To me hunting it looks like puke in the optic.

Do the turrets feel good? Do the turrets adjust in the correct amount?
Glass good enough on target?

You can check these things before you solidly mount it and really "own" it.

I have been really happy with 2 Vortex PST Gen 2's. I was less happy with a Burris XTR 2.

Last edited:
Looking for an optic for long range hunting that won't break the bank (under $1000) but will also get the job done. Looking for something with exposed turrets, FFP, and a magnification somewhere in the 2-24 range, open to suggestions. Ideally something with a reticle that is a christmas tree style but nothing too busy, and clear enough to still find it on the lowest magnification. What is everyone's suggestions? Thanks!
Arken. https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/ep-5-5-25x56-ffp-illuminated-reticle-with-zero-stop-34mm-tube

If you can spend the full 1000, I would buy this in a heartbeat https://www.swfa.com/swfa-5-20x50-ss-hd-30mm-riflescope-105472.html
Some of the most durable scopes on the market, even compared to high dollar. The 5-20 has fantastic glass, great turrets, and are one of the few options that can compete with a nightforce for durability or turret tracking. I have played the budget game and owned Arken, Athlon, and vortex, and the SWFA HD is 2 giant steps up from any other sub 1k scope I've ever owned.

I'm kinda in a toss up now. I've found 2 scopes that have a reticle I really like and in the perfect price range. I've never heard of either of these brands. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've linked the two scopes below.

I own that specific SWFA and several other models. I cant Speak for the riton.

In most every legitimate test of scope tracking and durability, SWFA and nightforce take it. Nobody, including vortex and Leupold, regularly survives functionally.

My 5-20 was on my 338 rum, and even the heat off of that barrel (immense) didn't mirage out the scope, whereas my vortex strike eagle 5-25 on my 6.5cm absolutely dies on warm days due to mirage from barrel gear. The glass is better on the SWFA by a substantial amount, turrets feel better. I would suggest a throw lever for the SWFA. My only gripe is it can be hard to turn, but that's a small gripe

For your budget, I'd give a hard look at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II. I have a couple and been happy with them. Might even keep a few bucks in your pocket for other shooting items :)