Spotting scope question, need unbiased opinion

Like almost everyone else said, it's a no brainier, just buy the swaro and never look back. I've compared non he 65 swaros and 85 mm razors side by side, in the field, in all different light conditions and the swaro always comes out on top.

Throw in the depreciation factor and it's an easy call.

I sell both at a retail store. The older Vortex was probably made in Japan but it makes NO difference whether it's Chinese or Japanese. The glass is sourced from a Pacific Rim glass maker, (not Vortex). The Swaro glass is sourced from Schott. Both sources have excellent glass and less expensive glass. You can buy three thousand dollar Nikon EDG bino's that are excellent.

I personally would go with the Vortex. Their warrantee surpasses Swaro's. HD glass is just plainly better. We sell far more angled spotters than straights. The ratio is about 5 to 1.

Far easier to digiscope with the angled. a shorter tripod is steadier. Using from a car window mount, you can use the collar to rotate/turn the eyepiece towards your face. Same thing for looking down a canyon.

Good luck my friend

I sell both at a retail store. The older Vortex was probably made in Japan but it makes NO difference whether it's Chinese or Japanese. The glass is sourced from a Pacific Rim glass maker, (not Vortex). The Swaro glass is sourced from Schott. Both sources have excellent glass and less expensive glass. You can buy three thousand dollar Nikon EDG bino's that are excellent.

I personally would go with the Vortex. Their warrantee surpasses Swaro's. HD glass is just plainly better. We sell far more angled spotters than straights. The ratio is about 5 to 1.

Far easier to digiscope with the angled. a shorter tripod is steadier. Using from a car window mount, you can use the collar to rotate/turn the eyepiece towards your face. Same thing for looking down a canyon.

Good luck my friend

Funny you mention Nikon. I recently purchased two sets of the new Nikon Monarch "HG" ("High Grade") 10x 42 binoculars for me and my son. ED glass with field flattener lens system, 17mm eye relief (feels like more tho), ultra wide 462ft FOV at 1,000 yards, locking diopter, integtated objective covers, and only 24 oz. weight. They are made in house at the Nikon plant in Japan and have amazing glass for the money. In my opinion, they are hands down the best binocular you can buy in the $1K-$2K price range.

I used to think the Meopta Meostar HD binos were the best in the mid price range, and they were for a long time, but when Nikon introduced the HG in 2017 they stole the mid price crown from Meopta. I compared the Nikon HG to Leica Trinovid HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor, Meopta Meostar HD, and many top tier binos. I dont think you can beat the Nikon HG glass until you step up to Swarovski SV or the new Leica Noctivid. Even then I was struggling to find any differences. But then you throw in the new Nikon No-Fault lifetime warranty and it puts the new HG binos over the top.

Supposedly the New Nikon Monarch spotting scope (Also introduced in 2017, price: $1600) is getting the same type of reviews. Reviews are saying the glass can't be beat until you step up to top tier Swarovski HD or Meopta Meostar S2 HD spotters and the like. But I haven't looked through the new Monarch spotter yet.

These Japanese boys ain't messin' around anymore. The European Big 3 better watch out because some of the Japanese manufacturers are right on their heels these days. And they are producing excellent glass at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
In 2013 compared the Vortex spotter and the Swarovski and went with the Swarovski, clear winner. In 2000 I bought new Zeiss Victory Bino (amazing) for $1000 then sold them foolishly 5 years later. Now there $2500. In 2014 I was comparing the 10X EL Swarovski and Razor Vortex Bino. The difference seemed small for double the price and the Vortex warranty rocks. So I went with the Razors. In the field with the Vortex Razors I could not count the points or even determination a fork on a buck at 100+yards. Now I'm going to have to spend more to get the EL Swarovski. Poor quality glass has cost many the price of not filling out a tag.

There is a lot of nice glass out there but Swarovski takes a lot of beating. With a Leupold spotter I had two of us couldn't tell if we were looking at a hare or a rock at 450m. I sold it, emptied out the bank account and bought a ATX 65mm. Just recently I watched a hare that was 5000m away. I kid you not!
The 10x32mm EL are very nice.

My brother and I were persuaded to by a Razor HD instead of the Swaro we had always wanted. And while it is a good spotter it is not a Swaro. Sitting on a mountain in fading light last year I had the chance to look through both side by side 60 power v 60 power, at a heard of elk about 3 miles away. With the Razor we could see which elk had horns. With the Swaro we could count the points and decide whether or not to make the hours-long hike in the dark the next morning to get a shot. We choose to pass on the small heard bull and ended up killing a respectable 6 point later in the hunt.

I don't own any Swarovski products, but wish I did...... I never really bought into high dollar optics until my brother bought a new pair of swaro binos. Looking through them near dusk at a black berry patch the true quality showed. I could still pick out details long after the Leupold and others (can't remember all brands that were there that night) were just fuzzy...... In hunting conditions I don't think you would wish you had the vortex over the swaro........

Back in 2000 I had a Lica spotting scope that was brighter then the new Swarovski I have now.(Swarovski has a better resale value) but gets dark when I crank it up to 60 Power compared to my old Lica. I would take the Zeiss Victory Bino over the Swarovski EL if Zeiss had them in 12x50. I was going to get the SLC in 15x56 but the EL 12x50 are a better rounded all purpose tool.(I think the best at that power). At 10 Power Zeiss Victory has like 95% light transmission and probably better then the Swarovski EL. If I could only get one top tier piece of glass between the Swarovski spotting or the EL 12x50 Bino- it would be the 12x50 Bino because it is lighter to pack and use.
In a couple weeks God willing I'll have the EL 12x50 to go with my Swarovski spotter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.