Spotting Scope Advice

UplandFreak

I have a Vortex Viper HD Gen 2 15-45x65 Spotter that has been awesome - super impressed with the glass and it weighs 60oz. I am thinking I want something lighweight for the backpack hunts. I am thinking I want to upgrade and go one of two routes:

1. Kowa 554/553 - same magnification range but half the weight (28oz). I have read about the FOV and I am not too worried about it. I do most of my glassing with 12x50 binos.

2. Pick up a Vortex Razor 27-60x85 (its only 65oz) and a Vortex Razor 11-33x50 (25oz). I can use the big boy when I am on horseback or rolling around in the truck/ATV. And throw the little one in the pack when I am on foot.

I get leo pricing, so it wouldn't be much more to go with #2.

What are y'alls thoughts?

Last edited:
My thoughts are you would be happy upgrading to the Razor series of either model. I have the big Razor & absolutely love it from the house, the truck, or 3 miles from the truck if I'm packing it. I'm not up to date on the weight specs so I'm guessing the little Razor is same weight as your Viper that works perfect for you. No experience with Kowa.

My thoughts are you would be happy upgrading to the Razor series of either model. I have the big Razor & absolutely love it from the house, the truck, or 3 miles from the truck if I'm packing it. I'm not up to date on the weight specs so I'm guessing the little Razor is same weight as your Viper that works perfect for you. No experience with Kowa.
The little razor is like 25oz.

I have a Vortex Viper HD Gen 2 15-45x65 Spotter that has been awesome - super impressed with the glass and it weighs 60oz. I am thinking I want something lighweight for the backpack hunts. I am thinking I want to upgrade and go one of two routes:

1. Kowa 554/553 - same magnification range but half the weight (28oz). I have read about the FOV and I am not too worried about it. I do most of my glassing with 12x50 binos.

2. Pick up a Vortex Razor 27-60x85 (its only 65oz) and a Vortex Razor 11-33x50 (25oz). I can use the big boy when I am on horseback or rolling around in the truck/ATV. And throw the little one in the pack when I am on foot.

I get leo pricing, so it wouldn't be much more to go with #2.

What are y'alls thoughts?
Option 2 👊🏻

Well,......since nobody else is giving their opinions then I will take this opportunity to introduce myself, I live in SW MT. My profile picture is a spike bull that was poached & left to rot 40min from my house & I feel the need to share his beauty everyday cause he never had the chance to mature & reproduce. I'm new to this forum & like it so far. I love killing elk & deer & smashing roosters with my dog 👊🏻

Well,......since nobody else is giving their opinions then I will take this opportunity to introduce myself, I live in SW MT. My profile picture is a spike bull that was poached & left to rot 40min from my house & I feel the need to share his beauty everyday cause he never had the chance to mature & reproduce. I'm new to this forum & like it so far. I love killing elk & deer & smashing roosters with my dog 👊🏻
Amen to the smashing roosters! I have a GSP - nothing better than hammering a bird off a point :)

I guess the question I should have asked was do guys own one do it all spotter or do they have multiple spotters for specific uses?

I had a Razor HD 22-48 which was really nice, but still to big and heavy. Also, in my experience, the
larger magnification scopes aren't real clear at the higher end of magnification. I sold it, and bought
the Razor HD 11-33. This little scope is clear from 11 to 33. It weighs less than my 15-56 binos (and has
better eye relief, I wear glasses). I love this little scope. The Phoneskope works great on it too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.