Spotter objective size for hunting

Dirt_Nap

Looking to purchase a Swaro spotting scope for hunting. Which objective do you suggest? Looking at the ATX unless you have other suggestions. Thx

I like 65mm for packing, they're usually lighter and take up less room. Swarovski is out of my budget, but I'm sure it's a nice optic.

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Looking to purchase a Swaro spotting scope for hunting. Which objective do you suggest? Looking at the ATX unless you have other suggestions. Thx
I actually have gone through this process and have concluded for my situation the lightweight spotter will do everything I need it to do. Just sold a older 65 I had and will be buying the new ATC here shortly. I had the privilege of spending some time behind one and it's got extremely clear glass, great eye box, and is very functional and very easy on the pack weight. Another good lightweight option is the Kowa 553. Good luck with your choice. Both of these spotters have a 55/56 Obj.

Last edited:
There is no perfect solution - the ATX system will have you broke in no time however it is so versatile with the btx or single eyepiece. Agree with above. 115 from the truck or short walks to glass high points. 65mm when packing in or a long day hike. There is a significant step up with light gathering ability at each increase in objective size. You can find the 65mm objective lightly used for under a grand if you look around. You

For solo backpack hunting I like the smaller 50-55mm objective but will take the 65mm if it's not too bad of a trip, short hikes from the road 80mm+

I have an Meopta 82mm that never really made it into the pack when I was hunting. It's pretty good glass but heavy. I just bought the Swaro ATS 65 HD a couple of months ago. The glass is obviously good and it's light and packable. Look through as many in your price range as you can and maybe a couple out of it to make sure it's a one time purchase.

If weight or size are not an issue go with 80 plus. I have an 80 and a 65. Low light and distance will show the difference. I hunted with an outfitter a few years ago where guide had a 65 HD. Was having trouble seeing well at distance during low light. I pulled my non HD 80 out and as soon as he looked through it he said something to the effect "now that's more like it". He asked for my 80 every time we were looking at something during those conditions for the rest of the hunt.

You need to decide what you're going to use it for. Will you have binos to generally glass and then want the spotter to judge more accurately? How far will you be glassing? Backpacking in or using other means? Is it for sheep hunting where you might need to count growth rings? Unfortuately there is no 'one best', imo. Fwiw, I have an STX 95, 65 and ATC and use all three for different purposes.

My son packs a Kowa 88 and it is lights out great glass, especially for the money. That said, it's too big for me to pack so I just follow him and when I need a spotter I hit him up! I pack Swaro 15 binos, so I get the best of both worlds.