Sounds Faster

I worked in a gas station.... in high school.
no shortage of tires....
Anyone remember CHEAP retreads??? If you could find the Michelin retreads they smoked the best for some reason. We had a guy in our car club with a 67 Ford Fairlane GT with a 390, one wheel wonder, it'd smoke those old retreads to the rim!!!! Man, the days before traction control...LOL

So I went on a hunt in basement looking for two albums that I know had pics of my Fury. Well 50 years and 8 moves and relocations, those two albums no where to be found! The ONLY pic I found was in a hunting album where only the partial hood and grill shows with a young 8pt I killed which seems appropriate for this thread! I am on left. Those missing albums lost over 7-8 moves and relocations over time. Bummer.
Deer-Fury.jpeg

I really appreciate the trips down memory lane. Some good and some not so good. Surviving those crazy times was a feat for sure. I had to go from a 69' big block to a 66' VW bug with a deer foot shift knob after a tree totaled my Pontiac. My self esteem and style points dropped significantly. The shifter was cool though.

Lol My Yamaha Vmax has drowned out quite a few Harleys in sound & speed.
I bought a Yamaha 650turbo back in '83 and still have it. 1 day it's going to be a buggy or a 4-wheeler. Redline speed was 135(6), but I ran it 1k over, so maybe 150ish. If I could find a Suzuki 500LT 4-wheeler I'd be good. My cousin had 1 that was a little more than stock, but it was fast. Spent some time over at Little Sahara (Waynoka, OK).

So I went on a hunt in basement looking for two albums that I know had pics of my Fury. Well 50 years and 8 moves and relocations, those two albums no where to be found! The ONLY pic I found was in a hunting album where only the partial hood and grill shows with a young 8pt I killed which seems appropriate for this thread! I am on left. Those missing albums lost over 7-8 moves and relocations over time. Bummer.
View attachment 453994
Mopar "B" bodies, now thats hotrod style!!! Always wanted a 63-64 Plymouth Savoy, radio and heater delete!!!

High school friend had one of the fastest factory stock cars I'd ever seen at the time. 1967/68 Ford Fair lane with 429 Cobra Jet. Had dealership build a positive traction rear. Once he got some really good tires on it it was awesome. You could watch the fuel gauge move when he floored it. I just remembered, it wasn't a fair lane but a Torino. Fast car.

Last edited:
I will state this about Chrysler's. My grandma had a ? 4 door battle wagon w/ a 440 and the speedo used mercury to display speed. Either max was 130 or 150. Heavy, fast and smooth. 727 torqflight I think. 1 day we had a 390 mile trip. Stopped 3 times, once to eat, once to fill up and once for snacks. 390 miles in 3 1/2 hours from house to destination. Averaged 111.5mph. Yup, she drives fast for a little old lady. Same person with the 40 or 42 Ford I was talking about.

Recent Posts