Some 200 Wildcat numbers

dakor

Well I have a few numbers to start with but I was not able to graph past 100 yards because of the wind today but I will test out to 300 yards as promised. Sorry it took so long for even this data but with work and being sick the last few weeks it has been hell to say the least. Well I am using a 7mm STW in a REM sendero with a 9 1/4 twist. This rifle as over 1500 rounds through it so I was really happy at what I have found so far. I am not going to give a bc but if some one wants to figure it out with the numbers I give and post it that is fine. I will also add pic of targets later after I get them off the camera. Here is what I found today. At the muzzle I was getting 2859 FPS with a ES of 12 and a SD of 6. This is with 5 shots. Now at 100 yards I was getting 2713FPS with and ES of 5 and A SD of 2. The Elevation is 853ft the Temp was 72 the Pressure was 29.99 the Humidity was 70% and the Dew point was 61. I used a Pact Pro for the testing. I think a person could get away with a 9 twist with these bullets with a faster 7mm. I will really put this to the test when winter comes and I shoot them when it is below zero. I will probably add pics later tonight other wise monday as I have a wedding tomorrow that is 5 hours away. I would like to thank SSCoyote and Richard Graves for sending me the bullets to test!!! Hopefully I can get them tested out to 300 yards this week.

Nobody has anything to say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well here are the pics the first one is the load I chronographed at 100 yards. That is 3 shots at 100 yards with 79 grains of Retumbo. The second group was fired at 300 yards with 76 grains of Retumbo in a 15 MPH cross wind. Not a bad group if you ask me. I was not able to test the 79 grain load as we had thunderstorms yesterday. Hopefully if work slows down I can chrongraph and shoot this load at 300 yards before the weekend. If not this weekend I will test it as long as mother nature helps me out a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
321606.jpg

321607.jpg

Dakor,

That is basically similiar results as I am getting in my 7mm Allen Mag in the standard Shilen 1-9 twist barrel.

My groups at 100 yards are a bit larger then yours but average less at the 300 yard mark. I am sure it is due to the slightly faster twist and the muzzle velocity. The increased initial muzzle velocity will generally increase 100 yard group size but the added stability of velocity and twist seems to help at extended ranges.

When the 1-7 twist barrels get here I suspect 300 and 500 yard groups will get much smaller. In fact at 300 yards in a quality rifle I suspect that quarter in your pics may cover a or at least touch all on a three shot group.

Time will tell.

For now though I am limited to my 26" test barrel but results are similiar to what you are seeing.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby it will be intersting to see how the top group does at 300 yards since I was not able to shoot it past 100 yards. If I can get an inch with it at 300 then I will be really happy. Time will tell I will keep you guys posted.

Dakor, great shooting and i appreciate the information. i am also waiting on a 7T barrel and hope to shoot some 200 gr pills.the only problem is i can't seem to get any of them.i've e-mailed Richard a couple of times but haven't heard from him.i'd like to get a couple hundred,can anyone help? 50, anyone?

Dave,

Richard is up to his ears in harvesting right now. I will answer your question though on the 200 gr ULDs. The first batch shipped FAST and are all gone. Richard has an order of new jackets on the way and when they arrive he says he will be sneaking in some time to make bullets.

I hope to get a pretty decent size shipment in as I have several of the big 7mm AMs on order that will be finishing up here soon and ready to ship. I will let you know what I get them in and you can order them directly through me if you want or through Richard.

Got out this morning to do some informal practice with the 7mm AM and the 200 gr ULD. THis load is out of my 1-9 twist stanadard Shilen test barrel and the load is getting right at 3175 fps in the 26" barrel.

I sighted in at +2" at 100 yards and this morning using the second mil dot down as a dead on hold the rifle is center punching 15" rocks at 745 yards consistantly!!! ITs almost to easy.

I though the big 257 and 270 AM covered ground fast and hit hard. The time it takes that 200 gr ULD RBBT to cover nearly 800 yards is unexplainable unless you see it. As is the almost obnoxiously loud "WHACK" when it lands home.

THis is am impressive bullet. I can not wait for the 1-7 Liljas to get here and see what this bullet will do at 3300 fps!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave I have a some info for you from Richard so can you shoot me an email? I tried to PM you but you must have it turned off and you do not show an email address. My email is
[email protected]
Kirby quit trying to buy up all the bullets!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K I know what you mean about that bullet smacking stuff hard. When I shot the one group at 300 yards a few weeks ago I was also shooting my 300 Win with 200 Accubonds going 2960fps out of the muzzle. The big 200gr 7mm bullet made a much louder smack when it hit the plywood backer that is for sure. That 200gr 7mm also bucked the wind much better. I really hope Richard builds them in a hunting jacket. I am also going to say after talking to Richard when I re barrel this rig I will be going with an 8 twist 3 groove. I hope I do not have trouble with bullets comming apart with the 3 groove.

I really wish you would stop posting results on the 7mm AM. You've already got me thinking of a new project and I haven't even fired a full tilt load through my 270 AM!!!!!

Bill:

Obviously that old 270 AM is outdated and is in dire need of being replaced by a new 7mm AM, and it's pretty evident that you really need a new project. Then with the new 7mm AM you would have all the longest shots instead of Steve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why don't you just ship it up here and I'll break it in for you and kill a few animals with it and you can just go ahead and order a new 7mm AM?

I've had my 7mm AM ordered for……………..what's it been now???.............seems like 5 or 6 years now and it's still not here. I'd have a lot of spare time to break yours in and put some rounds down the barrel for you.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby and dakor:

I know what you mean about the sound of the 200's. I have no idea why, and it makes no sense, but they do sound different. When I was shooting them we noticed it almost from the first shot.

Compared to comparable weight bullets of different calibers fired at the same time, they just sound louder and have a different sound when they hit, especially on solid stuff like rock faces.

Maybe it's the Canadian accent of the Wildcats that makes them sound different from those from "down here". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boom, smack, 'eh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah that's the sound they make.

[ QUOTE ]
. When I shot the one group at 300 yards a few weeks ago I was also shooting my 300 Win with 200 Accubonds going 2960fps out of the muzzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

What load were you using? Or what powder more importantly, Retumbo?

I am using 80 grains of Retumbo with a 200gr Accubond in my 300 win. This load shoots very well out of my Sako TRG-S.

Dakor,

I'm not buying them all, I'm stocking them for Richard for resale with my Allen Mags but will also sell to anyone else that wants them for any other round as well as long as they are not spoken for with my AM rifle orders.

I think the increased impact noise is simply from higher retained velocities. This is obviously clear with all the heavy Wildcats I am shooting in my three Allen Mags right now. The 7mm obviously hits the hardest as far as noise generated but the 257 and 270 are not that far off.

As Bill in a couple weeks what a 169.5 gr ULD sounds like on impact when started at near 3500 fps in his 270 AM??!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Bill,

Your not giving much up with your 270 Allen Mag. I assure you once you get on the throttle a bit you will not be wanting for more performance.

I forgot to mention that I did some practicing with the 270 AM this morning as well. at 750 yards its simply a matter of putting that second dot down from center dead on and squeezing the trigger. Don't even have to look to see if you hit the target, in a second or so the report will come back telling of a solid hit!!!

Its almost to easy!! As you well know!!

Don;t get excited about a 7mm AM, you already have a 270 AM. If you want another one step up to the 338 AM. That will be a serious increase in power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.