Smart *** gunshop clerk

I've been a can user for a few years and will never go back unless forced. The benefits far out way the negatives but there are a few. Sound suppression is more hearing safe for sure, mainly for hunting purposes, and the recoil pulse is changed. Recoil is reduced as most have an internal or adapted muzzle brake, but the pulse is also changed and it is a different feel then just a brake alone. I take my dog hunting and he'll lay next to me and go to sleep while I shoot. Without a can, he walks off quite a ways. That's a big deal to me.

Now cons.... they get hot as he!!, are dirty, and foul the barrel and chamber much faster than without. I clean my bore and chamber every 50 or so as part of routine maintenance and will clean the can when carbon starts flaking off and dropping out. That is the only thing that is annoying to me. Now, one other thing, for hunting, spend the money on a ti can. Some cans are ridiculously heavy. I run TBAC ti cans. Very light and very effective.

Last edited:
Here is a
As far as " hearing safe" goes--- technically osha considers anything over 85 dB as requiring hearing protection. I havent seen a suppressor that shoots supersonic rounds under 85 dB yet.
sustained vs unsustained noise levels. There is a big difference. Additionally the way a can works generally the sound is not pushed toward the shooter nearly as much as without or definitely with a brake.

OP forgive me. You fellas that run them regularly and disassemble them, what do you put on the pieces before you put it back together to make sure they come apart?

I'm to the point where I want everything I shoot to be suppressed. I may still use muffs with certain rifles at the range but don't use them while hunting suppressed. I coyote hunt a lot at night with thermal and having a suppressor on my 22-250 is fantastic. I can move that same can to one of my ARs for coyote hunting during the day. I have 2 now and am waiting on my 3rd to be approved. Looking at a 4th now too.

When purchasing a Can you should look at the db Reduction Rating. for example, if you buy a Can that has a 30 db reduction and you rifle is 140 db then you are going to shoot with a sound rating of 110 db.
Also subsonic and supersonic. Even with a CAN shooting Supersonic you are going to get the "Crack" (supersonic boom) from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.
I like CANS because of noise & recoil reduction.

Last edited:
I just got my first suppressor. I can't say I have a ton of experience, but it makes a significant difference. So far, I've only used it on my 6.5 PRC. It is far quieter. Recoll is alsol reduced, but that's not a big factor on that rifle. Not sure I really need ear protection, since I can't hear much anyhow from the previous decades of ear abuse. I did wear muffs and it was so quiet, the noise was hardly noticeable.

I do have friends that hunt coyotes with suppressors. Every single one of them says it increases the number of "doubles" they get on coyotes. They say they get better second shots with suppressed rifles on another coyote than they did without a suppressor.

This is all anecdotal and observational. I'd like to see some hard data on the sound reduction from the suppressors. I know it is out there. All I do know is they work as advertised. Took forever to get it, but it appears to be worth the wait.

This thread got me thinking…about how i really do need to start remembering earplugs. The last 3 or four times I've shot I've spent quite a few rounds with my braked .300 winny, my .257 wby, my .358 Norma, and my 14 inch barreled 12 guage. I always forget my dang plugs so I'm "all ears". Im 31 but have actually started to notice my hearing isn't what it was when I was 18. Maybe time to smarten up here. Too many guns with no plugs and too much death metal/other "extreme" metal as loud as it can go haha
You should get spares. I used to "forget" every now and then…then one time I had a 300wm without ear pro ring my ears for a few minutes. Since then, I keep a spare box of plugs AND electronic muffs in my truck. I keep custom molded plugs in my hunting pack. Extra foam plugs AND electronic muffs in my range bag. And I use a can on about half of my rifles now. If I forget hearing protection these days, it's because I didn't get out of bed, haha.

OP forgive me. You fellas that run them regularly and disassemble them, what do you put on the pieces before you put it back together to make sure they come apart?
I only have rimfire cans that are user serviceable...but I can't think of much that will hold up to the abuse inside a can. Not sure it's necessary? Following for smarter guy's responses though.

Suppressors are awesome, they are illegal up here in Canada but I was at a match down in WY and there was a ton of people running cans. The noise and concussion reduction on even 300 PRC was incredible, I don't know what the threshold for "hearing safe" is but I could easily shoot that without hearing protection especially for hunting.
I can't speak to the recoil reduction I have heard it's more of a longer push than a short punch but I'm sure you'd get used to it.