Slow Model 700 7mm Rem Mag?

Trying to help a friend, he recently shot a hand load with 60gr of IMR 4350 under a 160gr Partition with another persons chrono and was in the high 2600's for velocity, I thought that the chrono he used was faulty so today we loaded the same load, all reloading techniques were solid and chronoed them using my V3 and all were between 2675 and 2715. He also shot some with H1000 up to pressure and only got to 2800. Not sure what to think, any help is greatly appreciated.
58.8 grs of H1000 and a 180 vld-h and I get 2912 to 2944 fps from a 8T 26" barrel depending on the temp. Right at 3000 fps was starting to show pressure with H1000, slightly fast with rl26 but H1000 shot better with lower a ES. It's sub half moa at that 2912 fps node with 73 thou jump. That's a slower node am on. The 60 grs of imr 4350 your running should be faster I'd think. According to Hodgdon it should be too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_081910_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_081910_Chrome.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 31
It should be a little faster. Is there some bullet jump? How far back is the the shoulder being pushed(I've found dies that move the shoulder .020")? I usually use H1000 with 160's and see close to 3000fps in multiple factory rifles. 7828 might be worth a try also.

I literally had the same gun with the same issue shooting the same bullets. I told myself I wanted to get around 3000fps but could never get there. About 2840fps with h1000 like the other guy showed in the post with the load data. Maybe i had unrealistic expectations too.

Rl23 got about 2900fps. Then I picked up a Sako A7 and the same loads with Rl23 and no pressure signs get 3030fps.

I really like rl23 with the 160s in the 7mag.

Assuming the components are sound, and since both the 4350 and h1000 were slow, Im going with a shot out barrel. I have an older m70 winchester thats notoriously slow. It is about gone. I have a fresh tikka that routinely prints 70 to 100 fps slower than a 1980 built m700. Some of it is just the barrel, some could be the throat is getting highly eroded and you're loosing pressure as a result.
I also have an old article by Finn Aagard where his particular rifle took 3 grains more powder to match the stated velocities. He also had a few thousand rounds down the barrel.
I would either step on the loads to see if velocity comes up without pressure, or chalk it up to a bad barrel and move on.

You can get 50 to 75 fps variation between rp brass and winchester brass because the winchester is thicker brass which makes the pressure higher giving you higher fps. In my 264 win mags I drop the charge down 1 to 2 grains when using winchester verses Remington brass to keep the velocity the same. You can also get higher pressure because the neck retention is tighter because of the thicker brass.

Every 7mag is not the same.I did a test on four 7mags I had using 66.0grs of Winchester WXR(same powder as Reloader 22,just different lot),Remington case,WLRM primer,160gr Accubond.First rifle was a Ruger 1-V with a 24" barrel.It clocked right at 2900fps.Second rifle was a Remington 700 Sendero with a 26" barrel.It clocked right at 3000fps.Third rifle was a Remington 700 with a 24" Douglas barrel.It clocked right at 3050fps.The fourth rifle was a Ruger 1-B with a 26" barrel.It clocked right at 3100fps.That's quite a spread in velocity,but all four rifles grouped this load really well.Why such a big difference?Could be the way each rifle was throated and the bullet distance from the lands.Could be the actual bore size was a little different.I bought my first 7mag in 1994,a Winchester mod 70 Classic with a 26" barrel.I shot a lot of IMR4350 in that rifle.I think it's a great powder for bullets a 150grs or less,but though it will work with 160grs and heavier,I think it's better to use a slower burn rate powder for those.I like the WXR or (Reloader 22) because it works well with all bullet weights and I bought a good bit of it at $14 a pound when it was being discontinued by Winchester.A more recent powder I've used and one that works really great for all bullet weights in the 7mag is Reloader 26.The sad thing about Reloader 26 is finding it and good luck,if and when it becomes available because there are a lot of people wanting it.One thing I might add is,the modern book data for the 7mag is loaded at usually around 58-59k pressure.I think this is quite conservative for a magnum cartridge.My loads are usually about a grain or two higher,depending on the powder,than a 58-59k max book load.I'm not suggesting anyone do it,but I'm not afraid to load a little higher than that.

I bought a bunch of H1000 from a guy on here and one was opened and about half gone. I started using that powder and only got 2950fps with a 162gr ELDX out of a 20" barrel. When that powder was gone I opened a fresh batch of H1000, same load, and now get 3070fps. I thought that it was because of a primer change but ends up that the old H1000 was the culprit. Hope you figure it out.

You can get 50 to 75 fps variation between rp brass and winchester brass because the winchester is thicker brass which makes the pressure higher giving you higher fps. In my 264 win mags I drop the charge down 1 to 2 grains when using winchester verses Remington brass to keep the velocity the same. You can also get higher pressure because the neck retention is tighter because of the thicker brass.
When I compared the volume of Winchester and Remington 7mag cases I have filling each case completely full with ball powder and weighing the powder after that.The Remington case held about two grains more.I found just the opposite with 30-06 cases,the Winchester held more.