Sightron SIII

scsbronco

I took a break from shooting for a few years. Im getting back into long range again. I just picked up an RPR in 243. Ill be shooting 200-1000 but useally 625yd at most. When I was into shooting before, I had quite a few nice rifles and scopes.

I had Razor HDs, Nightforce NXS, PSTs, Mark 4s, and Burris XTRs. My favorite and still is the Nightforce NXS. I have a family now and cant dump that kind of money any more. Im looking into the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 or S-Tac 2.5-17x56. I dont need FFP, Zero stops and all the tactical stuff. I picked up a Leupold 3-9 Patrol that I love for the price. What Im looking for is crisp clear glass, and solid adjustments. Am I on the right track with Sightron being the poor man NXS?

I would say you're on the right track. Sightron III is a popular budget F-Class scope for a reason. I have a PST and a Sightron III. The Sightron definitely has better class and dials excellent. Just missing the zero stop and illuminated reticle but for strictly target shooting who really cares.

Sightron SIII. If it were me, I'd try for the 8-32x56. If you can't make it go for the 6-24.

I have not seen the S-Tac in person.

I have the SIII 6-24 and the S-Tac 2.5-17.5. The SIII is the poor man's NXS (nice phrase). The SIII also has better resolution than the S-Tac. I have no complaints about the SIII; the S-Tac is good also but I like the SIII better.

For the past several months, I have been researching the features, benefits and reviews of a number of different long range scopes including NF, Leupold and Vortex for a new 6.5 Creedmoor rifle that I have ordered. I've looked through so many scopes that it has become confusing. I kept coming back to the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with MOA2 reticle and, finally pulled the trigger this evening. I'm an old hunter (over 65 years old) and love reloading my hunting rounds. While I'm certain there are probably better scopes out there, I am excited to get this scope mounted for my first attempt at developing target loads (instead of hunting loads) for my first attempt at long range paper punching.

For the past several months, I have been researching the features, benefits and reviews of a number of different long range scopes including NF, Leupold and Vortex for a new 6.5 Creedmoor rifle that I have ordered. I've looked through so many scopes that it has become confusing. I kept coming back to the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with MOA2 reticle and, finally pulled the trigger this evening. I'm an old hunter (over 65 years old) and love reloading my hunting rounds. While I'm certain there are probably better scopes out there, I am excited to get this scope mounted for my first attempt at developing target loads (instead of hunting loads) for my first attempt at long range paper punching.

Great choice. You're gonna love it. I have the exact same scope on a 6.5 Creed that I use for paper punching. Very happy with it.

I had a Sightron SIII 8-32 scope a few years back. My experience with the glass was good, the quality however was lacking.

I used the elevation turret a lot for long range shooting and one day (about a year after buying the scope) it simply got stuck, upon further investigation the actual turret assembly bad broken! I had been dialing up and down with the turret for an hour and suddenly it just froze! I have no idea in hell what could have caused this as I was extremely careful with the scope and it was never so much as bumped.

Anyway I sent it back to Sightron for repair and they would not cover the defect, they claimed that the damage was from the scope being dropped seriously hard and was in no way a defect.

I went round and round with managers and they basically called me a liar when I told them that the scope was never in any way dropped or bumped, also there was not a ding or scratch on the scope which would have certainly shown up if dropped that hard.. It was ridiculous and expensive to get my scope repaired.

The way customer service treated me makes me seriously surprised that they are still in business.

Buy a Vortex, excellent glass, turrets, and customer service.

I have a SIII 10-50x60. It is an amazing scope for that price. I used it for F-Class and I could read the mirage pretty well.
When zoomed to 40-50x, you will notice a bit darker but still can see the target well.
Save me a lot of money.

Blackaj, hopefully I will not have the same problem with mine. I've just read too many positive reviews and, after visiting with a gentleman at our gun club who has a two different Sightrons, I decided to give them a try.

Blackaj, hopefully I will not have the same problem with mine. I've just read too many positive reviews and, after visiting with a gentleman at our gun club who has a two different Sightrons, I decided to give them a try.
Yeah best of luck, I seem to have a knack for getting the lemons lately.. I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice

I had a Sightron SIII 8-32 scope a few years back. My experience with the glass was good, the quality however was lacking.

I used the elevation turret a lot for long range shooting and one day (about a year after buying the scope) it simply got stuck, upon further investigation the actual turret assembly bad broken! I had been dialing up and down with the turret for an hour and suddenly it just froze! I have no idea in hell what could have caused this as I was extremely careful with the scope and it was never so much as bumped.

Anyway I sent it back to Sightron for repair and they would not cover the defect, they claimed that the damage was from the scope being dropped seriously hard and was in no way a defect.

I went round and round with managers and they basically called me a liar when I told them that the scope was never in any way dropped or bumped, also there was not a ding or scratch on the scope which would have certainly shown up if dropped that hard.. It was ridiculous and expensive to get my scope repaired.

The way customer service treated me makes me seriously surprised that they are still in business.

Buy a Vortex, excellent glass, turrets, and customer service.

While I don't doubt your claim,I've had excellent service with Sightron. The elevation stem came loose on my very old SII 4-16x42 scope. Sightron never questioned the damage,they repaired the scope to new condition,included new lense covers and lense cleaning cloth. The scope was returned to me in less than 2 weeks.

I have 5 SIII 6-24's that I crank the crap out of,never had a single issue with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.