sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder

Roy,
What is the farthest distance you have been able to range and what was it, also what is the farthest on an animal?
Thanks,
Jon

Jon,

3450 yards through the front car window while doing 80 mph down I-15 on about a 4' x 4' green city distance sign.

Longest distance on a cow that was differentiated from background trees by about 20 yards @ 1335, repeatable. Used the scan mode and nailed the red cow consistently.

Could have made the shot too but would have ticked off the rancher big time.:D

Longest distance on a cow that was differentiated from background trees by about 20 yards @ 1335, repeatable. Used the scan mode and nailed the red cow consistently.

Could have made the shot too but would have ticked off the rancher big time.:D

Roy this made me lmao. Thanks for the response, it sounds like it does a good job. It sounds like it would stretch out the practice and fun distance compared to the 1600b.
Jon

Does the Kilo read barometric preassure like the Leica 1600b?

Nope, it doesn't.

That, in this case is what the hand held weather station is for. Once calibrated and kept up with my cheapie Brunton does just fine with baro pressure but sucks at wind speed. Its time to upgrade that end of things.

I strongly suspect the next release will have a ton of bells an whistles but for my use it is plenty acceptable as it is.

So far the Kilo is spot on regarding shot angle and calculated distance. That is, out to 1661 yards. However am not able to get to where the angles are large as the snow in the mountains and lack of snow machine is holding me back.

I am confident that the calculation algorithm used by Sig has all of the factors in the proper places.

Those using COSine indicators who use the calc cos X ranged distance don't miss by much if any.

However, I was once warned about neglecting the cos of gravity.:)

I am in full agreement with Roy. I have bought 2 of the Sig's and have another one coming - have 2 sons. These things are not a G7 but for the price and what it does I have not found one that has the speed or accuracy of shoot to angle for that price.

Anyone interested in making me an offer on a 1200 Leica in perfect shape/operating condition?

Didn't have much time after work, but did get out and play a little. The Sig was instantly ranging a tree line at 1150 that my buddies Leica 1600 was having trouble with..

These sure are looking interesting but sure have a hard time with that large of a vertical beam, man that's bit me bad, don't really care about ranging beyond the range of take game just want a spot on dead nut range when I'm hunting and so far the Leice 1600 will bang elk at 1900 yards. Going to be a hard sell!

These sure are looking interesting but sure have a hard time with that large of a vertical beam, man that's bit me bad, don't really care about ranging beyond the range of take game just want a spot on dead nut range when I'm hunting and so far the Leice 1600 will bang elk at 1900 yards. Going to be a hard sell!

With the scan mode, it makes it easier to get an exact reading off your target, even with the larger beam, because of the quick return on the range. And the beam divergence on the sig is a 1.4 mrad circle, isn't the leica 1.5x3 mrad?

If you look at total surface area covered by the beams, they aren't too far apart. The leica has a smaller beam, with a total area of 1.25 MRAD, while the sig has a total beam area of 1.54 MRAD. For reference, the new edition G7 has a beam area of 4.5 MRAD (1.5x3) and a Vectronix PLRF15 has a beam divergence of 1 MRAD (0.5x2). Not saying the sig compares in abilities to the Vectronix, just using the beam area for comparison.

The issue is the vertical in the beam, I would rather have a very small beam vertically and some times not get a range than have a huge beam and get ranges every time I hit the button, a bad range is far worse than no range.

The issue is the vertical in the beam, I would rather have a very small beam vertically and some times not get a range than have a huge beam and get ranges every time I hit the button, a bad range is far worse than no range.

Totally understand, and you are right. When using the sig though, the scan mode makes it easy to make sure you are ranging your intended target, it's hard to explain you have to just use it.

Would I buy a sig if I already had a leica 1600b? Highly doubt it. The sig may be better for farther targets, but for any practical hunting range for the majority of us (under 1200 or so) both of them do a great job, and can easily range the body of animals at those ranges. I got a sig instead of the leica because I didn't have a great rangefinder to begin with. I had played with my shooting buddies leica and really liked it and was actually going to get one until I started researching the sig. Between the two for hunting situations, they are close, with the sig costing less money. Main reason I have a sig ha ha

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.