sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder

Is the 1600b the one with the smaller beam vs the kilo?

IIRC Leica =0.5 X 2.5 mad or 18" X 90" @ 1K

Kilo 2000 = 1.5 mad diameter or 50.4" @ 1k

The down side of the Kilo "may be" the size of the reticle vs beam size but . . .

The rapid scan rate may well overcome reticle/beam size considerations. If a fella can discern a mile marker by swinging the reticle around it a 700 yards plus @ 80 MPH the beam must not have fuzzy edges.

I have used the Leica to range between 900 yard trees 27 yards deeper with the retinal. I imagine the same can be done with the Kilo in scan mode.

Update, not the most technical field test I've ever done but definitely the most fun!

Had about a 2 hour drive down I-15. Wife drove.

I took the Kilo 2000 and ranged hundreds of times.

Found that ranging through the front windshield worked darn good on any type, shape, color and form of highway sign.

Couldn't range for squat through the highly tinted side windows.

With that many ranging opportunities I got a really good feel for the use is this unit.

Operation of the Kilo is significantly different than use of any other range finder. All other range finders seem to me to be point and click and keep clicking or using the scan mode until confident with the range reading.

Not this unit! A key feature which rises to the top is the rapid scan rate. While in a vehicle ranging is not even close to a steady, solid experience.

Simply holding the button until scanning started resulted in a constant stream of data which gave great confidence in the range of that object being ranged. Button release, if on target, resulted in a good reading. Note that 80 MPH results in a more rapid reduction of distance than I expected.

I don't know what there is about high way signs but if the beam touched any size of a high way sign it ranged it.

Very large signs were ranges to 3100 yards.

Mile markers ranged to 1000

Those little posts with a very small reflector at the top could be ranged, one at a time, from do yards to 770 yards. That was pretty much fun when going around a long turn onto a long straightaway getting ranges on those little sticks was quite pleasing.

Keep in mind that this is through a somewhat tinted windshield and at the highly reflective green/yellow/white painted side of the road sign.

It was not possible to range the back side of any sign regardless of size.

The home I was visiting was on the highest street on the east side of Brigham City, Utah.

From the rocking chair on the veranda (I think that's an upper class porch:roll eyes:) ranging gravel banks to 2600 yards wasn't a challenge. After sunset ranging to 2900 yards was consistent.

The next further gravel bank was at least a mile beyond the 2600 yard spot and could not be ranged.

There is something to be understood regarding differences in reflectivity between different colored animals, colors and types of paint, hay bales, and other objects. Some things ya just can't range with any range finder.

Another consideration is the power of the laser. There are regulations, I suppose, that limit the laser power to a maximum level for civilian use. Within this limitation the Kilo seems to have a leg up on other units.

I noticed this "feature" when I was ranging a utility pole a 75 yards and getting readings when the utility pole wasn't in the aiming circle. The darn thing was ranging the wire leading from the insulator on top of the pole to the transformer below. What's with that?

I then used that wire and the power line to "sight in" the circle reticle. Moving very slowly and steadily on the tripod the beam on this unit the beam seems to be centered with its edge at 5 o'clock on the circle reticle and the opposite side (45* line to reticle center) maybe half way to center reticle.

The Leica didn't know the power line/wires were there. Don't know what that means but it sure was cool to be able to range them.

This info is for what It's worth as most shooting/hunting isn't done @ 80 MPH on an interstate highway.:)

The only "con" so far, which may go away as I become more familiar with using the Kilo is the size of the aiming reticle. It seems simply too **** big and wide. I have come to appreciate the small fine reticle of the Leica and the quite precise reticle of the PLRF - 10.

The beam is advertised at 1.4 Mil diameter. That's 50" at 1000 if I did the math correctly. The reticle seems to be greater than 10 yards. I'll measure more accurately with the Leopold TMR reticle tomorrow.

Saying that the aiming reticle is too large and the beam is somewhat off center may well be a non issue as the very rapid scan rate and more familiarity with its use is a feature that will take some getting used to.

The Kilo will certainly range further than the Leica. My presumption is that within the range limitation of the Leica the 1600 B and Kilo 2000 are equals.

The differences between the Leica 1600 B and Sig Kilo 2000 besides the Kilo not having what I consider to be useless bullet drop capability, the Kilo provides AMR (Angled Modified Range, selectable) while the Leica displays shooting angle. I give more weight to AMR as there is one less input to the computer shooting solution.

The Leica 1600 B displays barometric pressure, the Kilo in this release does not requiring a separate unit for barometric. Seeing as how neither units provides wind speed and any hand held weather station worth it's salt provides barometric pressure along with wind speed this comparison is a wash.

In that the Kilo 2000 with do anything the Leica 1600 B will do plus range reflective objects to the limit of me driving my 375 Allen Magnum is easily met by the SIG Kilo 2000 I'm thinking I made the next step towards ELR shooting without breaking the bank to get'r done.

I'm looking forward to what's next.
Thanks Roy that's the information I was looking for.now I'm going to try to talk the war department into getting me one for Christmas.

Another small scale informal check this morning.

Was able to get, for the first time ever, except with a PLRF - 10, readings of 1125, 1135 and 1375 at three distinct spots at my beside the garage shooting spot. These were all handheld (no rest).

I'm getting the hang of this thing.

When the sun comes up the 1375 piece of sage brush, which is about the size of a 5 gallon bucket, is not readable.

I'm learning that sun angle is critical for any LRF.

Wind, now sun angle. What's gonna be next?:roll eyes:

Does anyone know the size of the beam on the Bushnell Elite 1-Mile ARC? I was pretty set on getting the Bushnell 1-Mile but now I'm wondering about the SIG KILO. I looked at one of the KILO's today and I really like the size of the unit and it is really fast at giving you your reading. The other thing is the KILO doesn't have any Ballistic Charts but do the ballistic charts really work for most people?

Royinidaho, what do you think between these two rangefinders? They are both around the same price. Thanks for any info.

Royinidaho, what do you think between these two rangefinders? They are both around the same price. Thanks for any info.

Go here: First Look: Bushnell Elite 1 Mile ARC Laser Rangefinder - Guns & Ammo

And here: First Look: Bushnell Elite 1 Mile ARC Laser Rangefinder - Guns & Ammo

From my experience in 2007 when a bull was missed at 1465 yards due to the size of the Bushnell beam on the unit being used at that time which ranged a pine tree 40 yards closer than the bull and having 7 years more experience tending to shoot more towards ELR than LR, I'd go with the Kilo 2000.

I'm very comfortable with the Kilo and don't expect that I'll be craving another unit for quite awhile.

To increase reliability of any LRF would be to put a laser in there that would singe hair a mile. :D

Roy,

Where is the SIG KILO 2000 made and does it have a tripod attachment point? I have looked all over the internet and can't find these answers. Not much out on these units yet. Thanks for the help.

Roy,

Where is the SIG KILO 2000 made and does it have a tripod attachment point? I have looked all over the internet and can't find these answers. Not much out on these units yet. Thanks for the help.

Mine says "Designed by Sig Sauer in Oregon, assembled in China" on the box it came in.

No it does not come with a tripod attachment point.

Mine says "Designed by Sig Sauer in Oregon, assembled in China" on the box it came in.

No it does not come with a tripod attachment point.

I agree with cowboy,

The quality of design is American/German/etc.

Quality, while darn good gives, the subtle feeling of Chinese manufacture when compared to the Leica. (Hope the Leica isn't made in China. :roll eyes:)

Nope, no tripod connection feature. But I'm working on one. And the tripod it's mounted on, according to my desires, has to be a darn good one. Not only for ranging a fixed object but very fluid to scan comfortably. The beam seems to have very sharp edges which further experience will validate.

Well I just ordered one...$439 from optics planet with their Black Friday discount, guess I'll see how it is, I'll put in my feedback once I have it...

Thanks for the replies fellas. Roy, how do you feel the sig will hold up compared to the leica durability wise.

So far:

Battery life is good.

She works well at temps near 0* in fact it works at that temp way better than I do.:)

I think she's rugged enough. The first thing I did was to loose the carry case. :roll eyes: Only us the carry case for transport and usually make a leather creation with spare battery capability.

Just got mine today...and it DEFINITELY is all that and a bag of potato chips. I was getting ranges on willow bushes and trees in under a second over 2,000 yards. Pretty much any trees or tall brush under 1600 or so is nearly instant, and the scan mode is awesome. I'm ranging open sage brush flats fight now, and able to range 1600 yards or so on open ground and sage brush less than 2 feet tall, and much farther if I have any kind of trees or something to range off of other than flat ground. All I have to say, is I don't believe there is anything comparable in this rangefinders ability for under $1500, including the lieca. I haven't played with the G7, so I don't know its ranging ability, and no this doesn't do your ballistic calculation...but I payed $440 bucks shipped to my door for a rangefinder that consistently ranges OVER 2000 yards...I would say it is BY FAR the best bang for the buck out there, no doubt. I'll try to get my phone scope on this thing and post a video so you guys can see what I'm blabbing about

Please do cody. I see you recieved your shipment from, im assuming, optics planet? I ordered mine when there was one left but must have slower internet here in canada haha. They just shipped mine the other day and now i wait.

But a video for everyone else would be great for people looking for a rangefinder.

If there is a slight downside on this kilo here are my thoughts after really putting it through the ringer this weekend in a long side by side test against my Leica. Maybe it's personal preference or maybe it's just that I've used the Leica for so long but I find the aiming circle to be little on the large side. The Kilo has a circle while the Leica has a smaller square aiming feature.

The Kilo will range much farther on reflective objects - hands down, every time. When you try and range a whitetail in the trees, or an antelope in a stubble field you need to know where your beam is best read while using that large aiming circle.

Got a feeling their new model will have a smaller aiming feature or maybe a "dot" in the middle of that circle.

If you take the Kilo out and learn it's beam path or quite frankly "zero it in" I think this unit will be tough to compete with in that price range.

By the way this unit is fast in giving a response - makes the Leica look like it's in slow mo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.