Sierra 6mm 85 gr HPBT

Fotis

I am not a huge fan of Sierra bullets, never was actually. However I have just acquired a Win model 70 Featherweight in 243 WSSM. This is a terrific looking gun and super light to boot. With a Leo 3x9x33 compact it weighs 7.25 lbs ready to go. I was looking for a double duty bullet (mainly coyotes and an occasional antelope/deer). I figure this will be much easier than re sighting in , working up 2-3 different loads yada yada.... Anyway has anyone used these before on deer/antelope? What say you?

I've seen alot of posts where (surprisingly) that bullet has worked well on deer. I'm sure it's only gonna be good for behind the shoulder shots...not the bone crushers. And with the speed of the WSM I'd stay away from the close ups. It's been very accurate in my browning .243 I use it for a little paper punching and woodchucks. For deer I hunt here in the brush with 30 caliber. If it were me and I had deer in mind I think I'd try a box of 85 tsx's and get the confidence up for the bigger game.

POP,
Go with the 85g Barnes Triple Shock X. At 3345 fps out of my 243 Win, it is nasty on coyotes and deer. At whatever velocity out of your WSSM, it will only get better. Forget about the horror stories of the past on load development for Barnes Bullets. The Triple Shock changed all that and is easy to work up. As for terminal performance, it just don't get no better than a X Bullet. My two cents.

Dog....

I use the TSX's on a number of rifles (mine and others') and I am quite familiar with their performance on the range and in the field. I totally agree with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They do rock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Reason I asked about these is because I have a truckload of these Sierras.

[ QUOTE ]
Reason I asked about these is because I have a truckload of these Sierras.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell 'em all and buy a half a truckload of Barnes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

that's good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Pop,

I've used the 85 Sierra in various .243 for 34 years or so. Deer out to 300, all in the lungs no problems . Varmints even further ,never had one run of after being hit with one .

Many different makes of factory 243 rifles over the years have responded well to either IMR 4350 or H4350 under this bullet usually starting around 41 grs up to 42.5 , this however was in std 243 .

hope this helps , Jim B.

Just a side note with the Sierra 85 gr HPBTs, I shoot 44.5 gr H414 with those bullets and get 3204 fps out of my Sako 243 Win. The same charge with NPs gives me 3422 fps. I tried other powders and seating depths, but I could never get the velocity up to where I wanted it to be.

I am now playing with some 90 gr Scenars, Bergers and shortly some NBTs. I am not saying the bullets will not work, but I have not had as good a luck with those particular bullets as I have other makes and models. If you have them, shoot them; however, you will need to avoid the shoulder bustin shots. jm2c

I was mistaken . . . the bullets that do not perform well for me are the 85 gr Varminters Sierra makes. The 85 gr HPBTs are SGKs and shoot lights out. Sorry for the confusion.

I have shot 8 deer with the 85 hpbt sierra bullets. All but one fell within 3 steps the other went about 10. When opening all of the animals it looked asif a bomb went off in their chests. You couldn't make out heart or lungs, just jello. I love them with 37.5 varget. .247" groups too at 100 yards.

Pop, Sierra has told me that the 85 gr HPBT was originally designed for up to deer sized game. I've used it on antelope with great success. On coyotes & chucks, it really works well also. Good luck.

They are extremely accurate with Varget. 36 - 37 gr. yields about 2980 - 3040fps. Quite capable of 1" 3 shot groups at 300 yards even with a little breeze. I shoot the small Crystal Geyser water bottles at 300 - 400 yards and once I get the wind reading, they explode. Standard Xbolt w/ 22" barrel.

I have shot quite a few antelope and a mature muley buck with them from my 6mm284. IIRC, my older Sierra manual says to run them up to 3300 fps, but I am running them at closer to 3400. They have a tendency to explode, splash and do some otherwise unpredictable stuff. I am guessing it is due to the velocity.

In one instance I shot an antelope doe right behind the shoulder, broadside. The bullet blew up so bad it punctured the gut cavity and made a disgusting mess of the inside.

I had another antelope that was slightly quartered towards me at 360 yards. I hit it in the near shoulder. A large piece of the bullet somehow made a turn and slid right down the spine, wrecking the backstraps.

On the muley buck the bullet splashed on the ribs right behind the shoulder. At first I thought I lost a lot of meat, but it turns out that the blood clots traveled between the meat layers clear up and over the back and part way down the other side.

On coyotes I have had some stellar results, but also a mess or two. At the velocity I am at the damage is pretty severe at times.

My opinion is that in a WSSM you should load them to run slower to get good results. I hear of tons of reports of guys using them in a .243 Win with satisfactory results. If you wanna use the full velocity potential of your cartridge, I would recommend a more heavily constructed bullet for dual purpose use.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.