side arm for wolf protection

This is really a question, not an answer but I will throw it out anyway.

In WWII, my Dad was an expert rifle marksman, but could not shoot well with an automatic, so he carried a carbine as his side arm.

If you need that much firepower in a sidearm, would it make any sense to try to instead equip your wife with a light rifle that fires heavy handgun loads, and try to convince her to keep it always on her side / back ?

Maybe this makes sense, maybe not.

Not sure why a lot of comments on here are for her to carry a small cannon. Most are worried about killing the wolf/lion/bear or whatever and most want to do it with one shot. I agree with those who talk about getting her something that fits her and is light enough that she will have it with her. When I went bow hunting elk in bear country I carried a 9mm loaded with snake shot, the first 5 anyway. I wasn't going to shoot until point blank range anyway, I knew that the 9mm wasn't a stopper and my goal was to SURVIVE an attack. Hit in the face with snake shot should take there eyes out and change its mind on coming after you, one can worry about finishing it off later. Before anyone screams how mean and cruel that is just remember this is not a hunting situation, survival.

Survival? How many guys can actual hit the "x" under duress?
[ame=http://youtu.be/rbAsvMH9vzo]Real bear attack caught on camera - YouTube[/ame]
Few. If you're worried about survival, go with a can of bear mace with a lead chaser.

I haven't heard any stories about wolves where they weren't seen coming in on the hunters. Quiet and sneaking, sure. That leaves time to get a shot off vs a swift bear charge/attack. As for gun size, I just pack what I'd pack in case of bear - spray and my .44mag with the Chesty Puller Holster:
http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Chesty-Puller-Conversion-System.cfm?item_id=160&parent=672

What bare minimum caliber would anyone here recommend for protection in wolf country?? Auto/revolver. A woman will be using this handgun. She has fired as large as .44mag. Any ideas most welcome. Thanks

My wife loves her Super Redhawk, 44 mag. won't carry a 357 or anything else for that matter.

Gentlemen, I have read all these posts on this thread! Now I will give you my opinion of what this Lady needs to feel comfortable with in the woods or wild, when it comes to those wolf's.

My wife (65 yrs young, 135-lbs) shoots a Glock .40 cal (sub-compact) which holds 11 rounds total. The Glock pistol's are very lite on recoil. She can even shoot my Glock model 20 in 10mm cal, using 180 grn bullets. RECOIL is very lite compared to other pistols. She carry's her little Glock all day long!

The .40 cal Glock using 165 grn bullets will be plenty quick enough velocity wise and will still penetrate enough on any wolf on the planet. If one likes the 10mm better, I carry 2 of these and I can tell you up front, I would go up against any big bear with my Glock 10mm, 6 inch barrel using 180 grn bullets.

Yes, I do have a couple of .44mag's and the .480-Ruger but these were hunting pistols, NOT self-defense weapons understand. Recoil even from a .44mag takes precious time before you can get back on target. Not so with the Glock .40 or 10mm. I have run the tests from 40yds on a moving target coming at me (bear posted on plywood) and I can put 8 out of 10 shots into the vital area before it hits me. You will not do that with a high powered revolver like the .44mag, which most women could not even hold nor hit their targets.

Now our Glock pistols have stainless steel replacement barrels! Shooting lead bullets is no problem at all. I use the Beartooth "hardcast bullets with gascheck" in my Glock model 20. They have a very large "Metplate" on them and the wound channel from these bullets is simply awesome. They penetrate great and cause more destruction than plan hollow ponts.

You wife needs to use what she'll carry and shoot well. The overall loaded weight of the pistol will sometimes determine what she'll carry -- not the caliber. A 40 or 45 ACP would be nice but if it's too heavy for her to carry, the 40 or 45 won't do her any good if it's still back in camp! Myself – the older I get – the lighter my guns get. Where I hunt has wolves and they scare me because I know of the people they've killed in Alaska and Saskatchewan since 2005! I'm happy with a lightweight 9mm on my hip with its 15 rounds and 2 extra mags.

.....I know more guys who have had wolf encounters than hit by lightning!!........
Not an experience I've had... but I've I've had pretty reliable folks tell me finding yourself in the middle of a howling pack you can't see is un nerving out of proportion to the likely danger you're in. Some part of your brain not used much these days.

Ya, the first time I got in a pack was calling coyotes so they were looking for a fight. Had them come in calling elk, antelope hunting, during the right time of the year they'll chase dogs if your out riding, one guy had a pack follow him out on his 4 wheeler because his dog was riding with him. They are no joke!!

View attachment 81034 View attachment 81034 View attachment 81034
Ya, the first time I got in a pack was calling coyotes so they were looking for a fight. Had them come in calling elk, antelope hunting, during the right time of the year they'll chase dogs if your out riding, one guy had a pack follow him out on his 4 wheeler because his dog was riding with him. They are no joke!!
I 've had encounters before. I said attacks were rare. This encounter ended badly for the wolf. It can be unnerving at times, but I've never felt threatened. mtmuley
DSC00354.JPG