side arm for wolf protection

ive killed over a dozen, i live in the middle of one of the heaviest infested wolf /grizzly units in montana.
doesnt take alot of talent or a magnum firearm to kill a wolf , it takes getting your lazy carcass out of the front seat of your vehicle and taking a walk in the wilderness and find them just like you do with big game
find game youll find wolves

Easier to just post SSS on the internet.

You didn't say what her activity will be, or if she liked the .44 magnum. ATV, snow mobile, trail runner, bike rider, pet walker, berry picker? How much weight is she willing to add to her routine.

Rathdrum means bears and cats also, we've had both here in town. Curious as to why specifically wolves?

Noise probably works, a high capacity 9mm makes a lot of noise, and in the the better ammo definitely lethal on big dogs, cats, smaller bear, and dirt balls.

Finding/asking what she likes will be best, after going to a women's class here in Spokane where she handled many semi's, my daughter has a Ruger SP101 in .22LR, her mother in law has one in .357 she really uses and likes. It fits her hand better than especially the double stack 9's. My single stack Sig is a closer fit.

I like choices that both magnum, standard, and +P choices are available, and in a style the carrier is comfortable with over caliber.

Depending on her abilities, spray can be the best choice. An entry level device that most can use, in most conditions, with a minimum of training.

Lots of choices. Only for sure is include her from the beginning.
The spray is not worth a darn if the wind is blowing, especially if it is blowing in your face. An accurate 9mm loaded with 147g +P would be great medicine in the Federal HST and the Winchester PDX=1.

21 shot 9mm gives a lot of confidence. If she could handle a 40 S&W, then 180g Federal HST with 17 rounds would be a great way to go for wolves and cats. Shoot them in the lungs, they run 50 yards and pile up.

With small hands, single-stack guns with adjustable sights give a LOT of confidence. After shooting IDAP with women, it is obvious that they do not have the strength in the fingers that men do. A nice trigger job works wonders on accuracy as the woman does not have to yank on the trigger hard.

Last edited:
I am wondering how that new 30 Super Carry would work out in regards to the OPs original requirement. Anyone fire one?

Guys have stronger wrists for the most part,some women don't have that problem but if you limp wrist shoot a semi auto it will fail to fully eject and cause a stove pipe so no second shot.Even men in tense situations can limp wrist a semi auto so practice practice practice.
Revolvers won't do that.

Guys have stronger wrists for the most part,some women don't have that problem but if you limp wrist shoot a semi auto it will fail to fully eject and cause a stove pipe so no second shot.Even men in tense situations can limp wrist a semi auto so practice practice practice.
Revolvers won't do that.

I have had this happen quite a bit when introducing new shooters or even experienced shooters to sub compact (pocket) 9mm handguns. The small guns can be a handful. One of the guys got angry with me because I told him he was limp wristing the gun and that's why it was failing. He was blaming the ammo as being faulty or the guns needed to be cleaned and lubed. He was going on about how he had been shooting handguns for years. It was his first time to every shoot a Sig P290 and a P365. Funny thing was though that none of the other shooters had any issues with shooting either one of the guns or ammo.

I have the Remington R-51, 9mm+P. The advantage is it uses a delay, blow-back action designed by Browning. This eliminates the lower spring and guide and makes the barrel just above the hand. This makes recoil straight back into the hand and eliminates wrist flip.
The advertising line in 1900's when the original Model 51 came out was 'the fastest, most accurate second shot of any pistol'.
The first generation had some problems, mostly involving the magazine. Remington took many back and gave the R-1, .45 auto as a replacement.
Mine is second generation and operates flawlessly.
I also have the original Mod 51 in .380.
Both have been my EDC because they are so convenient to conceal.
Left is my 100 year old 51 in .380. Right is R-51, 9mm+p.

Attachments

• Remington 51 003.jpg
    Remington 51 003.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Rem R-51 .JPG
    Rem R-51 .JPG
    485.2 KB · Views: 91
At a range a person shooting a 1911 .45 fired and when the recoil raised his arm, somehow, he hit the trigger again and the pistol fired. Bullet left the range and went through the wall of a bldg. and killed a person.

At a range a person shooting a 1911 .45 fired and when the recoil raised his arm, somehow, he hit the trigger again and the pistol fired. Bullet left the range and went through the wall of a bldg. and killed a person.
Thats so sad.
We have to be careful about any shooting we do and could be involved in an accident we had nothing to do with.
This sport can be dangerous!

Recent Posts