Shoutout for Whidden Gunworks

azsugarbear

A couple months back, I ordered some custom dies for a wildcat cartridge I was building in 338 cal. from Whidden Gunworks. They provided a quick turnaround time for custom dies based only on the drawing of the reamer. Quality was exactly what I expected and their price was very reasonable for what I asked of them. Good price, great product and great customer service - that's where this story should have ended.

Fast forward several weeks to me starting my reloading ritual early on a Saturday morning before I was really awake. Not paying attention to details when setting up my resizing die, I allowed the de-capping stem to bottom out on the web of my brass. The result was a bent piece of steel stem that rendered the die incapable of producing a straight neck on my brass.

I took a picture of what had happened, explained that it was my fault and sent the email to Whidden to see what could be done. I expected to get a call from them telling me what my options were and how much it would cost. What I got was an entire new stem assembly for the die delivered via first class mail with no bill.

John Whidden and his crew went above and beyond the call to correct a problem that was not even created by them. Since John has refused payment of any kind, the only way I could think to repay him was to give him a shoutout on this forum.

You owe it to yourself to take a look at their website and the products they offer. I recommend them without reservation.

I would agree, I have a wildcat die set from Whidden and I'm very pleased with it and the service they've provided, definitely using Whidden in the future!

I had a chance to meet John and his wife at his shop. My neighbor had him build a 6.5 06 for him which shot great but that's another story. After touring his shop and getting a first hand account of his operation all I can say is he is top notch.

Bought 2 dies sets for my 338 Norma 35 degree improved, aslo 7mm/338 Norma 35 degree improved.

Great work till i try to load the 338 . Could not set it up quite right. Found the inner sleeve had a burr in it, Sent it back he also set back 1st class next day.

I now have 4 dies set from Whidden. Looking at a stock next.

He is Good to go

God Bless

Jeff

Another happy customer here.

I have a 338 RCM FL bushing die Whidden made for me.

The Redding FL and the Hornady FL dies were not sizing the area in front of the web small enough. (Hornady was very close but not enough) The directions for the Whidden die said to kiss the die with shell holder for correct sizing. I did exactly that was amazed it was sized perfectly! The die came in a nice box and a comparator body thrown in!

If I ever need a custom die or sets I will be using Whidden again.

Whidde has built 3 rifles for me and they are the best rifles I have ever owned. I am lucky enough to be close enough to John's to visit his shop often.

I also use his dies for my reloading and they work perfectly.

Whidden has a first class operation, Some of the most modern equipment I've seen anywhere.

Randy

They are top notch in every concern. I couldn't be happier with anything that they have ever done for me. On time or early with no surprises.
Semper Fi

I haven't purchased anything from Whidden, but I know where I will be purchasing dies for a wildcat in the future. It's great to hear there is still an American company around that goes above and beyond for their customers. Thanks to everyone for passing the word.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.