Should I clean my gun after it is ready to hunt?

Joelb58

I have my gun shooting where I want it for my spring bear hunt. The hunt is not till the end of May. Should I clean it now and store it? I am worried that sometimes my first shot after cleaning is a wild one and I do not want that to be first shot at a bear. (in case I do not shoot again before the trip).

Also, would your answer change for a similar question about my shotgun. Got my turkey gun patterned for the season opener in two weeks. Wondering if I should clean it. Thanks.

as long as your rifle isn't FILTHY, leave it dirty. POI will usually change from a clean bore to a fouled bore. A few weeks before hunting season I go out and check my rifle, then it stays dirty until season ends.

As far as I know, shotguns don't make a lick of difference. So I would clean it.

I would clean it personally. Shoot a couple rounds through it the day before your hunt to foul it.

I don't clean a gun until it starts fauling and throwing shots. LOL

But I shoot my guns at the range year round, and the other times I'm hunting.

And as for your shotgun, it won't make a difference unless you're shooting a slug out of a rifled slug barrel.

2 months or less? I'd leave it.

Odds are they will want you to re-sight in your rifle when you arrive at camp, but strange things happen. I usually leave them alone until I know it will be a long time such as season-to-season. If your rifle is stored well the odds of corrosion with today's powders over a 2 month timeline is essentially zero.

Occasionally I will run a clean (no solvent, no oil) patch through to be sure that there is as little junk sitting in the bore as possible if the rifle is sitting. You could do this if it makes you feel better, and it will not affect your point of impact.

If your rifle is sighted and not filthy, leave it. If it needs to be cleaned, clean it then shoot it till the zero comes back in. A cleaned coldbore shot is normally off, especially in a factory barrel.

I'd pull a Bore Snake through it to clean out the large powder particles (the ones most likely to cause pitting or corrosion through absorption of humidity) and call it good. I do it on every rifle after a day at the range or a hunting trip where the rifle was shot.

Jay

I'd pull a Bore Snake through it to clean out the large powder particles (the ones most likely to cause pitting or corrosion through absorption of humidity) and call it good. I do it on every rifle after a day at the range or a hunting trip where the rifle was shot.

Jay

bingo! my answer exactly!

BTW
I've never blamed a miss while hunting on a dirty or clean barrel.

If you live in an area where spring rains will up humidity I would clean it. But be sure and shoot a fowling shot before the hunt. I have a 700 Remington 270 Win. that will shoot the first shot out of a clean oiled barrel 8 inches low and right at one hundred yards. The second shot will be right on target.

If your hunt is the end of May I'd clean it, and try to to make the range a couple of times before then. I'd leave it fouled the last range visit. If you're traveling confirming sights on arrival will serve to foul it also.

If you live in an area where spring rains will up humidity I would clean it. But be sure and shoot a fowling shot before the hunt. I have a 700 Remington 270 Win. that will shoot the first shot out of a clean oiled barrel 8 inches low and right at one hundred yards. The second shot will be right on target.

I use to clean my gun religiously after every shooting session because I didn't know when the next time I would use it would be. It was very frustrating to take clean cold bore shots and see them miss time and time again. Listening to words of wisdom, I am now finding the minimum number or shots to get the zero back and how many shots it takes before the accuracy degrades in each rifle. So far, I've noticed each gun is different. I now can go to sleep knowing my rifle will be zeroed when I pick it up again. This season, I plan to minimally foul my barrel and not clean it until the season is over.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.